Subcutaneous Emphysema

Kirislin

My poor Feather has this, although she hasn't been to the vet as yet to have it officially diagnosed, I cannot get in until tomorrow, but I've seen this twice before in my whippets, I dont know if it's something whippets are particularly prone to. In the past it's been to an obvious injury and was eventually reabsorbed but I am worried that it is something more sinister with Feather, she is 14 years old and very frail now. I dont think she would cope with a GA. I cannot see anything in the way of injury except a tiny mark that I've been bathing to see if I can see a hole. I dont even know why I'm writing, just to vent a bit I think. It's on her face, under her right eye and extending around her cheek and towards her nasal cavity :(

I hope she is okay.

I have only ever seen it as a result of injury. There has to be a Opening for air to get under the skin.

I have seen it due to accident and a small tear in the lung, torn trachea and injury into the chest cavity from external force.

If she hasn't had an injury then why is the question.

I would consider it very urgent and push to get her in today.

Edited by OSoSwift

I hope she is okay.

I have only ever seen it as a result of injury. There has to be a Opening for air to get under the skin.

I have seen it due to accident and a small tear in the lung, torn trachea and injury into the chest cavity from external force.

If she hasn't had an injury then why is the question.

I would consider it very urgent and push to get her in today.

this is my worry. I know it can also be gas not air, and I think that's more serious. My vet is totally booked up today, even though I rang early this morning. I tried the other clinic 30ks away but my favourite vet there is away all week. I dont want to take her to someone I dont know at all. I'm watching her to see if it's worsening and if so I'll ring again and push to see if they can fit her in. They've already said they'll let me know if there's a cancellation today.

If you've seen it before I'm not questioning that you know what it is but one thing that comes to mind because of the location is the dental access I often see in the salon. Either from an infected tooth or a foreign body entering the flesh inside the mouth and pus and pressure build up a bulge on the external surface of the face until it bursts outwards. So I'd have a thorough exam of the inside of the mouth everywhere if you haven't already.

If you've seen it before I'm not questioning that you know what it is but one thing that comes to mind because of the location is the dental access I often see in the salon. Either from an infected tooth or a foreign body entering the flesh inside the mouth and pus and pressure build up a bulge on the external surface of the face until it bursts outwards. So I'd have a thorough exam of the inside of the mouth everywhere if you haven't already.

I managed to get my lovely vet to see her early and his first thought was her back teeth too. He had a good look and doesn't think it is coming from there. She has a tiny mark that could be a wound under her eye which could be consistent with a small pesky puppy scrabbling at her face, which Secret does constantly to poor Feathie even though I try to stop her. Incidentally, Neko did the same thing to Tag when she was a puppy and scratched Tag's eye and cost me a fortune in vets bills. Feathie is on a precautionary course of AB's now and hopefully it will just resolve but I've been told if it oozes or her eye starts to close take her back quick smart.

ohh :( that's a worry , poor old girl . :hug::hug:

Thanks Perse, I'm hoping she will be OK. I feel a bit better after having the vet look at her. I know she wont be around for too much longer so I tend to worry a bit more I suppose.

Yep, going well. I've still got 5 days of AB's but I think it's all re-absorbed. :D I'm very relieved.

This is the 3rd whippet I've had with this condition.

good news!! Dear Old Thing :)

Wonder if it's anything to do with Whippet physiology?

Yep, going well. I've still got 5 days of AB's but I think it's all re-absorbed. :D I'm very relieved.

This is the 3rd whippet I've had with this condition.

good news!! Dear Old Thing :)

Wonder if it's anything to do with Whippet physiology?

Not sure, I wonder about their thin skin.

Edited by Kirislin