Need Advice With A Husky

Led-zep

Huskies are a lot of fun, but they aren't just a normal dog, they are a lifestyle choice, one you have to be ready for.

I thought I knew better than the breeders whose websites said (in caps!) that they can't be let off lead, I thought I would just train it really really well and all would be fine. LOL. Huskies are very trainable, they aren't very biddable, some people get lucky but it's not common. I didn't think much about the shedding until the first real "blow" (huskies don't just shed their coats, they blow them, probably so named because the hair literally blows everywhere), since then it's just been a continual of picking dog hair out of food/drinks/everything, and eliminating anything black, fleecy, or otherwise obviously hair attracting fabrics from my wardrobe. I am lucky that I don't have an escape artist but he will test things, and I need to keep him mentally stimulated so that he is less inclined to start looking for things to keep life interesting. They are characters for sure. At one stage he got bored and decided to take my wallet and hide it, I knew he had it as I found some chewed cards in the yard, but I could never find the wallet, I had to replace my license, credit card everything. Then about 6 months later I had to go into hospital for a week and I had a friend just coming by to feed him and check on him. When I got home I found he had brought my wallet back, chewed and dirty but very carefully placed. So if you are happy to have your life turned upside down then by all means get a husky :D

One needs to have a good relationship with their vacuum cleaner when owning a husky. I used to have 3 of them [all at once lol]. Loved them to bits, but they were 'different'. As pups they were left alone outside [although as more were added to the pack they weren't alone if you know what I mean]. Most of the time they just slept and slept during the day - laying there like sunning seals. In winter they preferred to be outside in the cold, they loved it. Mine were never destructive, but very prey driven [if anything came into their yard it was fair game to them]. Training wise they were great to train, I did have one who could be off lead and had 100% recall [even in the midst of chasing a rabbit or the like in the paddocks, but he was an enigma and not like a typical husky at all]. The other two were not the types to be off lead at all [they always ran on long lines when out walking].

They've been dead for over a decade, but I still find the odd husky hair on things lol.

The three nerds [do miss them].

post-10065-0-27507600-1472425060_thumb.jpg