Idiosyncratic Doesn’T Come Close!

Loving my Oldies

Jeune and Tamar have always been contrary eaters - just the way they are, because I don’t spoil them, meaning that if they don’t eat a meal, I don’t try to find something they’ll eat. Obviously if I realise they don’t like something, I don’t give it to them.

However, this beats it all and it isn’t a one off - it happens regularly. It goes like this.

They are given exactly the same food, they are fed on the deck and Bunter is fed inside and locked inside until Jeune and Tamar have finished (or not :mad )

Tamar generally takes a while to get going, running downstairs, playing around, etc etc and eventually coming up and starting her meal. (There was a time she would not eat at all unless Jeune started eating.)

Jeune prowls around staring at her food bowl with the greatest suspicion, tail down, occasionally going up to Tamar’s and sniffing that. Often, Tamar will have finished and Jeune won’t even have started. So sometime ago, I hit on an idea and it is something I do quite often now. I empty Jeune’s food into Tamar’s bowl and, hey presto, Jeune eats it. I generally leave a little bit in Jeune’s bowl and she will eat that, too, when she has finished the other portion.

:eek: :eek:

I've got a similar puzzling one DDD. I have recently adopted an 8 year old rescue dog who for some reason, unknown to me, doesn't like to drink from the water bowl I leave for him in the kitchen which is next to his food bowl. He prefers the one in the bathroom or the one in the laundry. I changed it from a plastic bowl to a nice glass one but he still prefers the others, one which is also plastic and the other stainless steel. Not that it is a problem but I do wonder why he does it. Maybe it as simple as he was never used to having water near his food in his previous life.

Edited by *Avanti*

I have a chi that when I give bones to the dogs she just looks at hers. Give the Kelpie a few minutes to rip all the best beef off one of hers.....swap the new chi's none for a Kelpie mangled one and the chi tucks in. Been this way for years. Maybe the chi know she has a better chance with an old bone. Tried separation but then chi won't touch a bone at all.has to be an old one in open.

This is our dogs too, neither is very food motivated with their own food in their own bowl... but even if its their own food in the other dogs bowl they MUST have it! :)

They also dont like the water bowl which is in the kitchen or the one right outside the back door underneath a tap, which are both easy to keep clean and filled up,

but prefer the one on the deck which is is only sometimes filled up by rainwater and has dirt in it (because they paw at everything that falls in there - like little leaves or bugs...)

I have one that will not eat his breakfast or dinner until the other has finished first. Old habit from feeding raw, I feed them outside so he will go and get a ball and play with that...anything to avoid eating! If it is the slightest bit breezy he will not eat at all, he is so scared of the wind he hides under my bed. Trying to feed him inside doesn't work either. These quirky dogs! :laugh: