Golden Retriever - boy or girl????

Timbs

Hello everyone, we have settled on getting a golden retriever puppy within the next 6-12  mths as our new family member after having BC's and wondering everyone's opinions on boy or girl? We always thought girls were 'sweeter' but have heard some differing opinions lately and thought I would ask on here from breeders or pet owners of the golden retriever. 

I'd be guided by the breeder for which pup would be the best fit for your family. For instance if pup would be alone during the day while everyone is at work or school then you want the one most likely to cope with that regardless of sex. If there were then a couple that might suit, one of each sex, then it is very much an individual choice. If you decided on a female and the contract says not to desex until after the bitch has had a season can you keep her safe?

• Like 2

Yes, I would go on individual temperament and let your breeder guide you. Be honest with what you want so they can help you get the pup best suited. VERY generally speaking, I have found males very affectionate but can be a bit more easily distracted. Girls a bit calmer. If you get the right temperament, either sex will be loving and sweet and I'm sure will work out fine. 

• Like 1

I was told that GR boys can be more affectionate, constantly under your feet kind of characters, while the ladies are a little more independent. *said with a furry fella asleep on my feet*. Definitely ask your breeder about each pups personality though!

• Like 1

I find Springer girls can be a little bit edgier, which I absolutely love in terms of training. They are always pushing, asking, testing whereas my Dally is super reliable once he figures something out. Although My Springer girls are super snuggly whereas my male Dally isn't - he's apparently quite the odd one out in that regard though. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies and advice. It does seem to be an individual thing so we are going to let breeder know the traits we would like in our dog and take her advice on the most suitable dog, male or female for our family. :-)

• Like 2