MathieuX

Flea Treatments Necessary?

4 posts in this topic

MathieuX   

My dog is 3 years old and has never had fleas to my knowledge, should I still to use a flea preventative? What about heartworm? I'm in Victoria.

Snook   

Only you can make that call based on where you live, where your dog goes, and the likelihood of getting fleas or heartworm based on that.

I live in Adelaide and no longer treat my 13 year old dog with preventatives for fleas, worms or heartworm. He is also no longer vaccinated, as his immune system is compromised due to cancer and he had a bad reaction to the last one (I'm absolutely not anti vax though and he's been vaccinated regularly all of his life until a couple of years ago). He only has contact with three other dogs and he's terrified of dogs he doesn't know, so we don't go anywhere that is regularly frequented by dogs or likely to result in fleas. The risk of heartworm is very low here and we also don't have paralysis ticks. I would of course treat him if he did get fleas, worms, or heartworm, but I'm not comfortable giving him such strong chemicals as a preventative in his particular circumstances. My decision for my dog doesn't mean it's the right decision for your dog though. 

Edited by Snook
  • Like 1

Hi -
if there is a heartworm risk in your area, then definitely use a preventative . Heartworm, unlike fleas, can be a killer .  
For fleas, treat your dog if you see a flea   ;)  Why add  extra chemicals  if they are not needed? 
I dislike filling my dogs with insecticide type things in case fleas jump on them .
Living where we do we DO get the rabbit/stickfast fleas, and in the warmer months, dogs are regularly treated to baths or spot-on applications  to  avoid these devils . In Winter, it is usually not needed, thankfully.

Edited by persephone
  • Like 2

Dogsfevr   

I don’t treat .

i researched the risk factor for heartworm and decided it was very small compared to the drug side effects but I’m in a lucky position ,different area and I would reassess the pros/ cons 

• Like 1