Sign in to follow this  
sandgrubber

Cats may get Covid19

6 posts in this topic

Note this is in Nature... Top of the pecking order for science journals 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00984-8

Coronavirus can infect cats — dogs, not so much

But scientists say it’s unclear whether felines can spread the virus to people, so pet owners need not panic yet.
Edited by sandgrubber
Additional note
  • Sad 1

tdierikx   

You'd think that pigs would be able to catch this from us... like they and us can share many other strains of cold/flu...

Interesting about the ferrets though...

T.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, tdierikx said:

You'd think that pigs would be able to catch this from us... like they and us can share many other strains of cold/flu...

Interesting about the ferrets though...

T.

Yes. I'm in NZ.  The ferret thing may be a worry here as mustalids are widespread... I don't think anyone has looked at whether stoats can catch or carry.  Not many tears if they get hit hard. 

• Haha 1

You'd think we'd be a bit past intentionally infecting animals then killing them. Still, in the interests of science .....

@sandgrubber aside from the ferrety/stoatie beasties, are NZers looking at the possum invasion and thinking "we wish".

tdierikx   

There is a report of some tigers returning positive COVID-19 tests... Bronx Zoo I think...

T.

30 minutes ago, tdierikx said:

There is a report of some tigers returning positive COVID-19 tests... Bronx Zoo I think...

T.

One tiger tested positive.  Other big cats (3 other tigers and 3 lions) in the zoo showing symptoms but not being tested. Sedation of big cats is dangerous. https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2020/04/08/mystery-how-tiger-caught-covid-19-has-experts-chasing-their-tails/

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Thanks 1