Female absorbed pups.

Pucapo

My girl was pregnant with her 2nd litter.

She was about 5 weeks along when she started losing her balance and appeared quite distressed. We took her to the vet who did scans and said she had one or two pups and to just keep a close eye on her. She had 6 pups on her first litter.

She was back to normal in a couple of days except following that she stopped gaining pregnancy weight.

We took her back to the vet when she would have been about 8 weeks and scan revealed pup(s) were gone.

Vet took a swab, gave an internal, said all ok, and has given a weeks supply of antibiotics saying infection as her discharge is a cream colour.

Has anyone else had pups absorbed? 

Edited by Pucapo
Spelling

Long ago I used to do scans through Murdoch Vet School using pro radiographers on top of the line equipment.  They often picked up attachment sites from where pups had been absorbed.  They said this was normal... some embryos don't develop normally and get absorbed. Often 2-4 per litter. That said, I still ended up with litters of, typically, 9 or 10.  It sounds like you face a different situation. 

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Thanks 1

pups being absorbed is "normal" Often when people say a bitch missed it's because the pups were absorbed before pregnancy was confirmed. If you want to try again I suggest you find a good repo vet in your area and consider prog testing and maybe supplementation. It could also have been a one off thing, not every pregnancy ends up with a live birth, no matter what the mammal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1