Another call for "nuisance" bird culling...

tdierikx

They do have a point - small species birdlife has reduced dreadfully in the ten years we've been here.  I don't entirely blame the Noisies, they have certainly played a part though, as have the huge colonies or gangs of magpies, and the occasional harsh drought conditions.  But I have seen the Noisy Miners destroy smaller birds nest, kill baby birds, harass birds enough to prevent them nesting let alone breeding. 

I don't support the idea of killing any native bird, duck hunting is nauseating, and I dislike the way cockatoos and ravens and ibis are culled 'informally' for being inconvenient or income reducing.  There must be a better way of giving the small bush birds a chance, I can't see a solution.   

The article notes that we humans have caused the problem by clearing the natural habitat and making the area more suited to the Noisy Miners... it also provides some advice on planting shrubs and the like to provide better shelter etc for the smaller bird species.

It all just seems that once we humans create an imbalance with the natural order of things, our first thoughts of "fixing the problem" are to kill things off...

T.

Personally, I think controlling cats would be far more beneficial for small bird species. Cue outcry from cat owners who think that their cats have to roam, and they "wouldn't hurt a fly".

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 2