Looking for a vet familiar with Nova Scotia Duck Tolling retrievers

rashad

2 hours ago, tdierikx said:

Medicare for animals has already been put forward in Victoria, and I'm tipping that it will also come up in NSW parliament possibly next year... not that it will actually get off the ground and be implemented, but maybe we will see some legislation changes that see a move in that direction for people struggling with vet costs.

It's not that vets just charge huge fees because they can. There are so many background costs that are required to run a vet clinic, and the staff also need to be compensated for their training and experience - and contrary to popular belief vets don't actually get paid all that well generally when you compare with human medicine doctors (vet nurses also get basically minimum wage).

Jazzy is so lucky to have you in her corner... I have no doubt she knows how much she is loved... and you are doing everything you can to make her life so much more comfortable in her time of need. I take my hat off to you... you are a good mum.

Hugs to you and Jazzy...

T.

Thanks T , and right back at ya... as they say :)

And while you have the gender wrong about me being a good mum, you are probably right. I always said  (and still do) that I was/am a better mum than dad, ha ha.

To all three species of my daughters: One human, one canine, one feline.

Sewing tapes on ballet shoes? Easy. Teaching daughter to kick a footie? Sigh... not so much...

But it worked. All three think I'm an OK dad. That'll do me fine.

My vet comments are mostly tongue-in-cheek, all our vet nurses seem to file Jazzy and me under L for "lovely patient".

Though.... yesterday I picked up a bottle of Meloxicam from my vet for $120, and did pause to wonder why.

I buy my own meds from Chemist Warehouse, not from my doctor. So why do I buy my meds from the vet at a 100%+ markup?

The same Meloxicam is available online (prescription required, of course) at $49...

Thanks for the supportive words. I freely admit to being haunted by what I call the Carer's Burden - the constant anxiety that you are not doing enough - or that you are doing the wrong thing, making the wrong decisions.

Often when in bed, with Jazz and Luna (my surly and introverted little moggie) snuggled up on either side of me, I tell them that they are probably reaping the rewards of a guilt that will always haunt me: That I did not pick up early enough on a chronic kidney condition with a beautiful little cat, Kiara, lost at three in 2017.

Take care, have a happy path to Christmas. And stay cool.
Melbourne's doing its usual thing, tapping us on the shoulder with an evil grin and and saying " Hey, remember how you were whingeing about the cold and rain? Well... I've got a little post-Christmas week surprise for you lot... "

R

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, asal said:

re your " trigeminal neuralgia,"

Know what you mean.  I have been incredibly lucky, was suggested I try Chinese massage and acqupuncture by a friend who knows a chap with a Masters Degree in pain relief, (he did the standard course at Sydney Uni, then went to China for the Masters Degree.

He warned my I had a 50% chance it may or not work for me.

I have been so fortunate in my case, it switches it off completely for months, although have to go to fortnightly sessions until it completely disappears.  Thanks to covid I didnt go for over 6 months before it came back.  Presently completely gone  again. 

huge alternative to what the neurosurgeon wanted to do. go into my brain and sever it completely,  for the entire left side of my face. said it would leave me with that side totally paralysed as if I had a stroke?

He did not seem to feel like telling me the percentages of the nerve re-joining itself, he was so keen to do the op.  I knew though.

Whoa, asal !

My commiserations. Something I would not wish on anyone... ever!
(and I know we are off-topic, but little-known conditions warrant as much airplay as they can get, right? )

Good decision to not do the surgery. When TN had me in its thrall, I too was tempted - but then I am a stroke survivor or part-thereof, ha ha ... and the artifacts my stroke left me with are enough to say ... voluntary facial paralysis... mmm... uh-huh...I'll pass, thanks v much.

And sort of similar to you, after a couple of years of pretty much high frequency spikes of pain every day all day, it went into surprising (and welcome!) hibernation, to reappear once a year around October. When spring gets my sinuses on red-alert.

Which my (very good) neurologist was sceptical about.... but hey. it's MY trigeminal nerve spiking into MY head !  :shrug:

I wish you the very best, and - fingers crossed :crossfingers: - total freedom from it. It is a horrendous and debilitating condition.

Oddly enough, mine stayed away this year, and I think its because of the weird extended winter we had in Melbourne.
You ever want someone to talk through the pain with, who understands its infernal nature... message me and we can take it offline.

Good luck. No... not just "good" ... but the very best of luck with it.

(jeez, just thinking of those lightning strikes in my head makes my skin crawl. Was scared to laugh for two years, all those triggers... :scared:)

Take care,

R

• Like 2

ok off topic, but yes it is pretty hard to deal with isn't it.

For anyone it rears its head. be careful, NEVER put anything in your mouth while driving.  it can knock you out cold if it triggers it.

Learned the hard way and lucky was doing nought miles n hour going through a roundabout. so car stopped. no accident or damage to anything but confidence. the neurologist said dont need to give up my license long as i never  , etc as above.

that was over ten years ago and he was right

Edited by asal
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, rashad said:

Thanks T , and right back at ya... as they say :)

And while you have the gender wrong about me being a good mum, you are probably right. I always said  (and still do) that I was/am a better mum than dad, ha ha.

To all three species of my daughters: One human, one canine, one feline.

Sewing tapes on ballet shoes? Easy. Teaching daughter to kick a footie? Sigh... not so much...

But it worked. All three think I'm an OK dad. That'll do me fine.

My vet comments are mostly tongue-in-cheek, all our vet nurses seem to file Jazzy and me under L for "lovely patient".

Though.... yesterday I picked up a bottle of Meloxicam from my vet for $120, and did pause to wonder why.

I buy my own meds from Chemist Warehouse, not from my doctor. So why do I buy my meds from the vet at a 100%+ markup?

The same Meloxicam is available online (prescription required, of course) at $49...

Thanks for the supportive words. I freely admit to being haunted by what I call the Carer's Burden - the constant anxiety that you are not doing enough - or that you are doing the wrong thing, making the wrong decisions.

Often when in bed, with Jazz and Luna (my surly and introverted little moggie) snuggled up on either side of me, I tell them that they are probably reaping the rewards of a guilt that will always haunt me: That I did not pick up early enough on a chronic kidney condition with a beautiful little cat, Kiara, lost at three in 2017.

Take care, have a happy path to Christmas. And stay cool.
Melbourne's doing its usual thing, tapping us on the shoulder with an evil grin and and saying " Hey, remember how you were whingeing about the cold and rain? Well... I've got a little post-Christmas week surprise for you lot... "

R

Your Vet can write you a script for you to buy it wherever you need to. Ask them. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ~Anne~ said:

Your Vet can write you a script for you to buy it wherever you need to. Ask them. 

Thanks, Anne.

Yes, I know and the question was mostly rhetorical, the rest an acknowledgement of my level of disorganization and wussiness.

If I were to make an appointment just to get a prescription, it would cost me the difference anyway. Or so I convince myself. Sigh.

Have a good weekend, it's already upon us here.

Christmas Eve... And Jazzy's initial physio consultation at noon.

At least it's not a chemo day.

Cheers

R

• Like 2