Queensland Councils Call for Reform to Dangerous Dog Laws After Horrific Attacks

Deeds

When RSPCA are doing the enforcement, it comes down to whether they think they can make some money somehow from it... if not, the issue is ignored.

Councils usually don't have enough rangers to do all the myriad other tasks they are given on top of animal control, so they can be a bit slack too.

Recently when I rang Gold Coast Council about a 3rd party trying to rehome a declared dangerous dog, the ranger flat out advised me that rehoming such a dog wasn't illegal in QLD... like it is in NSW. Pretty sure that declared dog has ended up somewhere over the border in NSW now though... grrr! Not that Gold Coast Council rangers would be too worried that the dog is no longer in their territory...

T.

• Sad 1

I'm in the Logan area of QLD. We currently have a huge stray dog issue. Every single day dozens of loose dogs (and cats) on roads (cats are supposed to be contained on their properties like dogs in our area). I've personally tried to find the owners of 2 deceased cats without any success. I am probably only 2km from our local council pound yet have never seen a ranger out and about and have not heard anyone post to say they've come and picked up a stray dog or attended an incident either. It's all local people doing the catching, containing, micro-chip checking and dropping off to somewhere safe (vets are preferred around here) or asking if people have cameras to show evidence of an incident. People are getting fed up with it, particularly when they put effort into trying to find the owners (even of deceased animals) only to see them out and about again the following week. There is no authority enforcing diddly around here.

I've started to think we have a new issue arising from the cost of living and housing crisis around here. Pets not being contained appropriately because people are unable to choose the type of housing that best suits their needs and they have to take anything. Or people keeping pets illegally so they can't contact their real estate for fence repairs or changes because they are not supposed to have a pet there. More animals loose just equals more potential for an incident.

New laws are a waste of money when existing ones are not being enforced.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Little Gifts said:

New laws are a waste of money when existing ones are not being enforced.

Enacting new/extra laws are how politicians measure the "proof" that they are "doing something" about some perceived problem... little thought seems to be focused on how those new/extra laws are going to be policed... *sigh*

T.

• Like 1