less antibiotics?

Yoli got spayed yesterday.   I was surprised for 2 reasons.  First, they didn't send her home with Clavulox.  (I asked.   They said it was a clean surgery and not needed).  Second, she was ready for pickup 4 1/2 hours after I dropped her off.

I'm generally happy to see less use of antibiotics, but still a tad worried about infection.

Are others seeing less antibiotics and faster surgery at their vets?

They possibly gave her a long acting antibiotic injection at the end of surgery before she woke up (the clinic I was at did it with every surgery), and if her surgery was the first of the day, then she would have recovered from the anaesthetic earlier, and been ready to go home earlier. Some dogs recover really quickly from the anaesthetics, so why keep them sitting in a cage at the clinic when they could be home in a familiar environment?

T.

• Like 4

Who was it who said no antibiotics needed? If an antibiotic injection was given that should have been the answer to your question. Were you charged for any antibiotic?

May also depend on how many stitches or staples were used and whether she has a cone collar. 

Maybe you are known as an attentive owner who will know if infection develops and can be trusted to take home an animal earlier than other owners.

Recently my female kitten had antibiotics and a cone collar  but the males didn't have either.

• Like 1

The clinic I worked at didn't add the antibiotic shot after surgery as a line item, as it was included in the surgery cost... as was the long acting pain relief shot all animals also get.

When I was with the rescue I fostered lots of pups for, I was never given antibiotics for any of the pups after desexing surgery, and they all healed just fine with no complications. There is usually no real need to give a week's worth of antibiotics after any surgery, unless it is a particularly long and tricky one where the inside of the animal is exposed to the air for an extended period of time.

T.

10 hours ago, tdierikx said:

They possibly gave her a long acting antibiotic injection at the end of surgery before she woke up (the clinic I was at did it with every surgery),

That's probably it.  They didn't say she had no antibiotics.

They did seem impressed with how quickly she came to.  She wasn't wobbly when I picked her up.  

• Like 1