Canberra's RSPCA Shelter Reaches Capacity. ABC News 7/1/24

Deeds

I feel their is a huge cost of living and housing accessibility issue affecting animals in need at present. I don't know a single rescue that hasn't been calling out desperately for help in all ways for months. Not enough carers, not enough money and obviously all the strategies out there to address unwanted pregnancies isn't achieving all it hoped. At least the RSPCA has money in the coffers to cover the vet bills and has a shelter base. For every RSPCA shelter there could be 5 to 10 unfunded small rescues working just as hard from people's homes on no money.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Cost of living is the most common claim as the reason for surrendering pets right now, but I'm not 100% convinced it is actually the most common reason for surrender, more that it is considered more "socially acceptable" to use cost of living as the reason for offloading one's pet that may have become unmanageable for whatever reason. It is interesting that RSPCA ACT are seeing large numbers of very young animals being surrendered... pups bred for the "christmas market" that weren't selling, unwanted gifts?

As for government based funding for rescues, while I agree that there are a large number of rescues who are doing their very best to responsibly find homes for the animals in their care, there are also a large number who are not acting as responsibly when rehoming. I am averse to the notion of funding a completely unregulated industry... in order to receive such funding, I believe that rescues should be held to account by following enforceable codes of practice, mandatory detailed reporting of outcomes, etc... animals lives literally depend on it.

T.