UD and UDX Scent discrimination

Hi, I can't find any info in the rules as to how many cloths are needed for UDX scent discrimination and can you really have any colour? Also, for both UD and UDX, how many sets will I need if I am doing heaps of trials close together? And, how long does it take for the scent to dissipate off of the articles? Any tips for teaching these would help too   :o) Thanks.

Edited by Adalimbi

It's been a long time since I taught this to a dog but I only ever had two sets of articles and usually left them out in the sun  for a couple of days.  Seemed to work ok for us. As for how to train it then I suggest to speak to people who have actually done it. I mainly worked from a book and it was hard.

On 07/01/2024 at 9:52 AM, Adalimbi said:

Hi, I can't find any info in the rules as to how many cloths are needed for UDX scent discrimination and can you really have any colour? Also, for both UD and UDX, how many sets will I need if I am doing heaps of trials close together? And, how long does it take for the scent to dissipate off of the articles? Any tips for teaching these would help too   :o) Thanks.

I agree with rebanne ask people who are currently doing it join active groups on Facebook as times have  change,judges expectations change & how they mark work .

• Like 2

My dog has her UD title and I’m now training for UDX. I like to have three sets of UD articles for 3-trial weekends. They’ve proven sufficient for the few 4 -trial weekends in which I’ve competed. You will need to decide whether your metal articles will be unknurled or knurled.

For UDX, you need five pairs of cloths. The cloths are rolled up and each pair is marked with elastic bands (e.g. hair ties) of the same colour, but different from the colours on the other pairs. The cloths must all be the same colour. I don’t think I’ve seen any colour but white. I’ll probably have 3 sets of UDX articles when I trial.

• Like 1

In UDX, you will also need pairs of UD-style scent discrimination articles for the seek back.

A good starting point for teaching any of the scent-based exercises is to go for off-leash walks with your dog and toss a ball or toy into long grass or scrub for your dog to find.

In the house, put your dog on a stay then stand where your dog can see you and toss the toy around a corner. Gradually build up the difficulty until you can leave your dog on a stay, walk to the other end of the house and leave the toy, then return to your dog and send him to find.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob