Finding A Good Vet, Recommendations?

Slightly off the track (but not quite) and running the risk of hi-jacking this thread (sorry Haven - hope you don't mind), I'm told by a couple of greyhound and thoroughbred racers that there is a lady by the name of "Donna" who works out Pearcedale VIC. way (I think). She's not a Vet (I don't think) but she diagnoses problematic symptoms, often by studying a sample of the affected animal's hair.

One of the fellows who told me about this said his horse had an ailment that he'd been to a number of Vets (as well as Werribee experts twice) and they couldn't find what was wrong. He sent a lock of the horse's mane to her and she diagnosed the condition.

The horse owner was then able to arrange appropriate treatment for the diagnosed condition. I can't recall the outcome (ie whether the horse was cured, or whether the condition was incurable), but the point was that, after months of time, energy and money, she was the one who finally could pin point the problem.

(Eg. I believe she can study the animal's coat and work out if it's a kidney problem, liver related problem etc.)

An acquaintance/friend of mine owns a GSD with allergy problems (apparently he's allergic to everything!) - I gave her this girl's name and number, but I don't know if she's been there yet.

Has had any dealings with 'holistic healers' (my words) like this? With good or bad results?

Thankyou to everyone for your suggestions :rofl: Of course in an emergency I'd go to the closest vet, but I think i might try out a few of the suggested vets otherwise. My current vet is good and was higly recommended but almost always booked out for ages and the others at the clinic are morons. :thumbsup:

Julie, of course he loves jyra, whats not to like?!

Hi Haven,

I would have to agree with Miranda.

All three Vets mentioned are high on my books.

Ros at Chirnside is closest to you. If you are a breeder, she is also noted for her skills in this area.

Even though I live in Cockatoo (45 min. drive), I consult Ros on all matters of breeding and fertility.

Like han_p_gsd, I take the dogs to Avonsleigh for routine procedures.

I'm the opposite to you haven :rofl:

I go to Murray Clarke, at Kilsyth Vets, on Liverpool Road.

He's been my vet for a very long time, and I've always been very happy with him. Nothing is too much trouble for him - though you ALWAYS have to wait, as he's usually running late, but thats coz he spends extra time with each person.

I now live on the mornington pen, and still drive the 50 mins to get to Murray. Have done for years now.

I really must find someone local to me down here for emergencies, just in case.

:thumbsup:

Actually Hedds, that's my current vet that im happy with, but unfortunately rarely get to see. In the event that he is unavailable and I have to see any of the other vets there I tend to leave very unhappy :mad I didn't want to specify, because I don't really want to go around telling everyone that I think this or that vet is crap :)

I am interested in this Rowville vet.

Rowville Veterinary Clinic

919 Stud Rd Rowville

Ph.9763-1799

I actually carry their card in the car just in case of roadside emergencys .... :(

Unfortunatly I have had need to call and impose on them for free over the phone emergency advise. May I say given without hesitation or reservation, their only concern was the animals welfare, even recommending the nearest available vet.

I give them :):mad

Edited by love-my-dog

Do you have Rotti's haven?

Only asking coz Murray's waiting room often seems full of them? :mad

He used to be my horses vet in the old days when he did Equine. Coming out in the pouring rain, to check a sick horse, no probs. Sitting with you for an hour after pts a horse in its 30's coz you're upset, same. He's a super bloke as well as a good vet IMHO.

I've been lucky I guess, I can usually get in to see him if I need to, but I take time off work, after hours might be different. :)

Good luck with your search, and thanks for this thread. I've written down a couple of suggestions for vets over this way, though I hope I never have to use any of them. :(

Actually, among other breeds, I do have a Rotti :)

Her breeder recommended me and has been using and recommending him for years, so that's probably where we all come from.

My family used to use Murry at Kilsyth, he really is great. Ive now found a vet a vet closer to me. Wantirna Veterinary Clinic, in Wantirna Mall. Most the vets there are female, are great with the dogs and take the time to EXPLAIN everything. Even the receptionists are great and seem to remember everyones names and animals! Dr. Alison Brown is the main vet and she's great value! Always bits of liver treats after each visit!

Addy: 6 the Mall, Wantirna, Ph 9729 9908