Lamb Necks

This has been bothering me for a while. Are Lamb necks able to be fully consumed?

Harvey gets them a couple of time a week and spends HOURS having a good chew. I never leave bones lying around and always throw them out. But are they the type of bone that a dog (keeping in mind harvey is small) can eat completely? I always supervise when he has bones as he is known to gag but i have to spend HOURS watching him - by that stage the lamb neck has shrunk but is not completely gone.

someone please let me know cause its been bugging me for ages now :o

Thanks

Kate

Well...i have large dogs and they completely finish off the lamb necks...sometimes they get the cut up 'slices' and other times they get the full un cut neck piece...but either way they eat it bones and all.

Harvey can eat chicken necks, although is known to swallow them whole and gag so i cut them up or bash them a little (he has bone issues LOL) Lamb necks are harder i guess... but how long should it take to fully eat it??

He is a West Highland White Terrier.

Yep, he gets chicken wings 'sometimes' thats another one he can GAG on, they're more the cats 'thing' really LOL. I think i will pick up some more this week and give him another go at them, he gets minced chicken carcass as his main diet, i guess its more me being too concerned (paranoid :D ) about him choking after a few instances, so lamb necks are good as far as that goes because they are big enough that he cant swallow whole. It is like he needs to learn to CHEW the smaller things :o .

Edited by katetk

Turkey bums hey, can't say i have seen them around :o . I have seen Turkey Necks at the supermarket (coles), they are single pre packed one.. "give your dog a bone" or something similiar, perhaps i'll pick up one of them. haven't seen wings or any other Turkey parts though.

I'm with KitKat, my dogs eat whole lamb necks in under 15 minutes but they are big dogs. I would also think that turkey necks might be better. They are heaps bigger than chicken necks but not as big and hard as lamb.

Turkey tails (and plenty of other good BARF supplies) can be purchased at the Brisbane Meat Markets at Rocklea (butcher). They're on Sherwood Rd across from where the markets run.

My BC's can sometimes finish the whole lamb neck bone, sometimes it's too big, they seem to be right on the edge of being consumable for a dog their size.

Edited by molasseslass

Edited as ML beat me to it with more info :D

Woolies does small malti packs of necks...about 4 in a pack for about $3.25 a kg. - and so did Packsapunch :o

Edited by KitKat

Lamb necks don't last 10 minutes with Eden,

Less than 15 with Debbie,

and about half an hour for Gypsy.

Even my JRT's used to be able to eat a lambs neck, bone and all - I just had the butcher cut them into smaller pieces (about two to three times the size of a chicken neck). :o

Turkey necks sound like a goer! Thanks guys

Kez, Now i am thinking my dog is just HOPELESS LOL.

The lamb necks i get are about *gets ruler* 20-23 cm in length sometines a wee bit smaller. They are also quite thick. I would ask the butcher to cut them but he seems to get annoyed that i buy my meat from the supermarket and dog stuff from him :o

I think i will have to start shopping somewhere else. My shop sucks, no turkey, no sliced lamb neck. They do have lamb off cuts but all they seem to be at the moment is fat with a little meat.

I would ask the butcher to cut them but he seems to get annoyed that i buy my meat from the supermarket and dog stuff from himĀ  :D

:o Sounds like my housemate. He whinges about the fresh vegie mush the dogs get while I cook microwave vegies for us too.

EFS

Edited by molasseslass

Why don't you try giving him the whole chicken frame to chew on? If he gutses smaller parts or his minced up frames... That way he gets plenty of bone and cartilage as well as some meaty bits. That's what all my dogs get and even the little ones go for it. Takes them ages but it keeps them occupied and happy. And they have bewdiful toothy-pegs! :o

I've also always fed some lamb each week but have become wary recently when my 5 month old TT got her jaws stuck on a lamb chop. It wasn't down her throat, just her teeth, top and bottom were in the flesh and she couldn't open her little mouth again! Felt very sorry for her. But god she was relishing it! I do watch the little ones with lamb bones.

Think BIG, I reckon. That way it makes him chew his food.