Blocked Tear Ducts

Sorry if this post is a little long.

Some of you might remember, I have been a little worried about my puppy having weepy eyes. Well I went to the vet last night to find I wasn't worrying about nothing - he has blocked tear ducts. :)

My normal vet is overseas, so I had to see a new vet, who I wasn't very keen on and don't have a history with. I did not particularly like him as a person, but he seemed to know what he was on about.

He put some fluoro green liquid in Bear's eye's and said it should run down his nose and we should see it pretty quickly - nothing happened. About 5 minutes later one side had some fluid showing but nothing on the other side. He says this means one side is completely blocked and the other only partially. The side that I thought he had a problem and weeped all the time is surprising the better one??? :o

He has given me eye cream "AMACIN" to put in every morning and night for 8 days. If this doesn't work, he said he will need to go under and have them syringed or something. He also said it was more a "cosmetic" problem.

Does anyone have any advice, or know anything about this problem or the cream I have been told to use? I know you probably think I am being paranoid, but I need some reassurance! PLEASE!!!!!! ;)

Try the cream, but personally I wouldn't put a dog under a GA just to flush their tear ducts. I'd just wait and if he ever needs a GA for another reason, then get the tear ducts done then. It is more of a cosmetic problem, it doesn't cause your dog pain or discomfort. It's just a matter of you giving his eye area a daily wipe.

A syringe of saline is squirted into the tear ducts and it comes out through the nose. This proceedure is not painful or invasive. A GA is used because most dogs would not sit still for it

2 of my dogs have mucky eyes, but it's not an issue, as I said if they ever need to go under for any other reason I will get them flushed then Also it's not a permanent fix. The tear ducts will again over time block up.

The AMACIN cream is good for eye infections. It's good to try this as if there is an infection it will clear it up

Lily - Thanks for the advice.

A syringe of saline is squirted into the tear ducts and it comes out through the nose. This proceedure is not painful or invasive. A GA is used because most dogs would not sit still for it

This sounds like what they did with the green fluro stuff? Would that be right?

It is more of a cosmetic problem

This is what the vet said. You mean it just looks bad with weepy eyes? The vet said that if it gets really wet in his eyes it could cause scaring and infection?

Also it's not a permanent fix. The tear ducts will again over time block up.

Interesting!

The AMACIN cream is good for eye infections

Have you used this before? I didn't want to send him blind or anything. After the vet put it in last night, his eyes were very wet for a long time. I only noticed them dried up this morning. Is this normal? Any hints on how to put it in without me poking his eye out!

Thank you soooo much for the advice! :o

To put it in his eyes the easiest way it to dab a bit on your finger and gently wipe it into the inside corner of his eye, then ever so gently (no pressure) rub his eye...he'll close it automatically...now to do the other side will be harder as he'll know it's coming! But it's much the same you might just have to be quicker about it :o

The flushing may not be a permanent fix but it will depend on what the cause of the blockage is.

EFS

Edited by KitKat

Hehehe don't apologise and you're not stupid :p - But to make amends ( ;) )you have to post a pic of Bear ;) :o

EFS = Edited for Spelling.....lol...it's something i'd be typing a lot if i didn't shorten it :)

This sounds like what they did with the green fluro stuff? Would that be right?

The fluro stuff (can't remember it's proper name) should of been a little strip that the vet put on his eye

The vet said that if it gets really wet in his eyes it could cause scaring and infection?

I havn't heard that before. That doesn't mean that it's not correct though.

His eyes remaining wet after the Amacin is fine. It won't cause him blindness or do any damage. I havn't personally used it on my own dogs, but I have used it on patients at the clinic.

As KitKat said, just put it in the inside corner of his eye.

.A

Holly Molly! They are big pics!

I can't get them any smaller -sorry, they are from scanned shots not the digital, maybe that is why!

Lily, yes it was a strip and then some liquid stuff that was supposed to run out his nose.

You said you have used it on patients at the clinic - are you a vet?

Gee wizz - as much as I love Bear, that was kind creepy! :)

:) :D :) I did that once with a pic of Bronx...brought it up on my screen after downloading it from my camera....i was looking straight up his nose :eek: ! :D

And yeah....very nice pic's :D

Alibear... My Gus had had blocked tear ducts for ever, and cos he went to beach so much it was getting worse and worse, he eventually lost all the hair from where he was weeping (he still has slight marks today), we did the amacin thing, didn't realy work and eventually getting his tear ducts dilated was the only option and it worked, he hasn't had a problem now for 3 years!!!

If it really is a constant thing, I wuold get it done...which vet do you go to?

gusgem - What kind of dog is Gus? We take Bear to the beach every couple of weeks, so maybe the sand is causing problems for him? Is that why you mention the beach?

How did you go about getting that cream in his eyes? I am really struggling!

Did you vet recommend you get it done because it would cause damage to the eye or did he just say it was cosmetic?

I go to a vet at Kellyville in Sydney, but she is overseas for 5 weeks so I went to a vet at Quakers Hill that friends and family have been to before and recommended - I won't be going back there though!

Awwww! Good idea! I haven't tried this one yet. I'll give it a go tonight.

Tell me, how do I hold his eye open? He either wiggles away or closes and I can't open it enough to get it in the corner of his eye.

Man I am just full of questions aren't I!