Kong Stuffings

I would love to hear what other people stuff their dog's kongs with; In Summer I freeze the contents (sometimes meaty stew or stock or just bits of meat, veggies and peanut butter with water added to stick it all together). Other times I stuff them with whole dog biscuit shapes (Lucky Dog bones, minis etc.), cheese bits, dry dog food and even fresh chicken necks and wings (hard but possible!). I love the idea I just read in 'Boredem Busters' about soaking the dry food in the kong, so it expands. Looking forward to trying that, and can't wait to here other suggestions!

Hi,

I have a problem.

One of my dogs enjoys them and then decides to bury them. I have been fortunate enough to watch where she buries them so far (even though she is very sneaky about it) and then I go and retrieve them.

I have 3 which have been sat in the cupboard for the past 6 months because I am afraid of losing them - some good they are doing sat there! Has anyone else had this problem and is there a way around it?

BTW I use all the things mentioned so far, including carrot, which they are crazy about. Also looking forward to hearing other suggestions - if I ever get around to using them again!

Thanks

ooh that sounds good poodlemania :laugh:

Must buy new kongs. My Staffy totally chewed hers to pieces when she was 3 months old (Yes, the KING kong - black one made for large dogs :clap: ) and since then I have bought a couple of fake ones that look the same (not quite as tough though).

My dogs will not have a bar of them :love: ;) Honestly, how stuck up can you get? Ooohhh they arent the REAL kongs, we're not bothering with those!

Jen

hi this is grate more things to try

i have done these

use cream chees and spred it around the inside of the kong.

get a chicken neck and place it in the middle

brake up some week bixs and stuff it eather side of the chicken neck.

this one works well and lasts for ages as they want the chees stuff.

stuff with mince mixed with an egg

frezz fruit juice or stock with other bits of food in it

place dry food in cong and sock in pet friendly milk

hi again

as for the dog burieing the kong, place a peice of rop (if he is a chewer you will need to use chain) into the king thred it through the small hole in the back tie it off and pull so the knot is inside the kong and tie the other end in a loop big enough to put ther kong through then fill it and wrap it around a poll and place the kong through the loop pull tight. this way you know where the kong is and the dog can't bury it :(

This is creepy! I was only thinking this morning that I would get on here and ask about what people put in there Kongs as Bear loves his and was running out of ideas.

I used to soak his kibble in chicken/beef stock and freeze it, but that was getting way to easy for him, so lately I have been stuffing with treats and jamming something in the end for him to get out before everything else comes out. I don't want to put it in to hard as I don't want him to be frustrated but he manages to get everything out in 2 seconds flat.

I have also just smeared vegemite and peanut butter on the inside of the kong for him to lick at all day.

I hadn't thought about the chicken necks - will do this tomorrow.

ETA - Are dogs ever strong enough to bite the whole Kong and crush up say a big bone and get it out?

Edited by Alibear

yep this is a good thread, always trying to think of new things to put in the kongs.

One i really like(or should i say the dogs like :( )

is cheese, bits of smacko, liver treats and dog kibble, soak in a bit of boiling water or put into micawave(but i don't have one). then put in thr frighe for awhile and waller......

another one is VIP meat role and liver treats or smackos and small teeth biccies al mixed together and then harding up in the frezzer.

Sam....

ETA - Are dogs ever strong enough to bite the whole Kong and crush up say a big bone and get it out?

:) My Staffy ripped her Kong apart to get the stuffing out when she was 3 months old :(

Honestly, I sent the pieces back to the manufacturer so they could have a laugh - they actually sent me a new one! :o

Jen

Diesel's lying on the floor at the moment getting angry at me because I filled his Kong with shredded ham and he can't reach the bits at the bottom! He also likes a little bit of peanut butter on the inside, or just his normal kibble soaked in chicken/beef stock and then either frozen to keep it in or left until the kibble expands and then drained off.

He's actually not that keen on a whole lot of peanut butter but he'll do anything for cheese (or cream cheese) as well as those Nature's Gift liver or beef treats. I've tried stuffing his baked bones in there as well but he gets them out too quickly.

In small amounts I'm pretty sure it's fine. I read somewhere that if you have always given your pup cheese/yogurt/dairy products then they can stomach it but if not then not to introduce them suddenly? Either way, Diesel loves them.

cream cheese/cheese is fine - if your dog isn't use to it,just small amounts at first.

Am going to try the banana, yoghurt and honey one, he likes honey and yoghurt so banana will be good me thinks.

I always have some treats on hand, either dried lamb hearts or liver so i put that is with a bit of cheese and i seal the end with vegemite or honey or each end something different.

Yesterday I bought Bella a puppy kong. This one:

productshot_kongpuppygrp.jpg

I blocked the hole with peanut butter, stuffed it with a smacko added water and froze it. I gave it to her at lunch and she LOVES it.

She licks it, then throws it, rolls on it, licks it some more. She was having a blast.

Can't wait to try some of these other stuffing ideas :(

Jenny Wareham -> Now thats a tought staffy!!!

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm writing them all down so I can try them all one by one to see how long they last and how much they're loved. The banana, yoghurt and honey sounds yummy, can't wait to try that! Can Kongs be microwaved?

Any ideas for really, really hard to empty stuffings? No matter what I try, both dogs have the Kong emptied in less than 20 minutes.

Other things I would love to hear are how long do people's Kongs last and what methods do dogs use to empty them. Hope eats all she can reach and then turns the Kong on it's end until anything small and loose falls out. Then she throws it repeatedly in the air as high as she can, in the hope the heavy landing will dislodge some more. Finaly she resorts to chewing at the edges and licking out the rest. Fox eats what he can reach and then, puting the whole Kong in his mouth, he crushes it and everything inside turns to crumbs and falls out! Hope's Kong lasts for about a year and Fox's for two. Hope is usually given Fox's old one and he gets the new one. I try to make their Kongs even more interesting by shutting the dogs in the house and hiding them in the back yard. Hope then searches the left side of the yard and Fox the right. Fox always finds his really quickly...I'm beginning to think he's reading my mind!

I found the standard Kong unchallenging for my dogs to empty. I have a couple of Kong Stuff-a-balls as well. Good for my dogs but probably not good for dogs that can chew up the black ones! I can basically stick all sorts of things in them.