Nutrience

Becoz my boy has been itching and scratching, seems to be more frequently lately, I have tried everything and he is still scratching, I am suspecting may be his diet, so I have bought some Nutrience today for him to switch to, as I was told by the shop that they are low allergy food. Just wondering anyone have used it and what have you find? They are quite pricey too, does anyone know any sites that sell them bit cheaper?

Hey Poppii,

I have had a heap of success with nutrience. My gsd x was shedding stacks and is so active that he always looked real skinny (people even felt that they had to tell me so in the dog park!). Anyway, he was on Eukanuba Puppy (he is 2 years old) and was still not putting on weight, so I switched him to nutrience active and he put on about 3 kgs, he sheds less and looks great! Now he is on maintenance and looks better than ever. My pug eats it too, and she has never had any skin issues like they sometimes can. Maybe something to do with the fact that it has no by-products? I dunno. But it is cheaper than Euk too. Just make sure you watch the feedind amounts, cause its quite concentrated. I feed my pug about half of what the pack recommends, cause she has a tendency to be a porker :rofl:

What were you feeding before?

Hugapug - I started feeding him Supercoat puppy as the breeder recommended, and found it not very good, poos were loose, and drinks lots of water. So I switched him to Iams and his poos were much much better. But he started to shed alot and scratch himself alot more lately, so I thought I'd try him on Nutrience. It is not a brand that's been widely mentioned on DOL so I am just not sure, but thanks for your reassuance.

I've used Nutrience before and was very happy with it, however have found Eukanuba better. Have you thought of trying the Fish and Potato Eukanuba for Sensitive Skin? I'm not a fan of Supercoat, sounds like the switch is a good thing :rofl:

I've used Nutrience before and was very happy with it, however have found Eukanuba better. Have you thought of trying the Fish and Potato Eukanuba for Sensitive Skin? I'm not a fan of Supercoat, sounds like the switch is a good thing :D

I have thought of using Hills Science Diet for sensitive skin but I didn't know Eukie has one too. Decided against it as my boy is 6mths old, still a pup, don't want to rush him into the adults formula if not necessary. Yeah, I don't like Supercoat either, don't know why the breeder recommended it at the 1st place :rofl:

Supercoat works for some dogs and doesn't work for others, I'm guessing if the breeder recommended the stuff it works ok for them.

Supercoat is also a reasonable product that isn't too costly...and puppy buyers are more likely to stick with it rather then starting off on a high premium product go :rofl: at the cost and drop back to Pal puppy etc etc.

ETA - I've looked at Nutrience and have spoken to a few people that use it and they've not had a problem and were willing to recommend it to me so...

Edited by KitKat

Nutrience is a fairly good brand, from what is available where I live I would say it's the best. However, my dogs are on Eagle Pack (and BARF, but that's not relevant to the question), I order it online and it gets delivered. They have a sensitive range and I would recommend it highly. My sisters dog was on Nutrience once and she got a little constipated, so we switched her over to BARF and she's been thriving ever since.

To be honest though, particularly with allergy dogs etc, nothing beats BARF :D

Guest LittlePixie

Yep... when not a BARF feeder (which is 3 days now :D), Nutrience was the dry food I fed.

Tilly who lives with my parents has been on it for years and won't be changing. She does really well on it!

Yep... when not a BARF feeder (which is 3 days now :D), Nutrience was the dry food I fed.

Tilly who lives with my parents has been on it for years and won't be changing. She does really well on it!

I'd love to feed BARF but we really don't have the time to go thru preparing it, sometimes OH and I even eat take aways.

Little Pixie, do you order it from the net or do you buy it from the pet shops?

Guest LittlePixie
I'd love to feed BARF but we really don't have the time to go thru preparing it, sometimes OH and I even eat take aways.

Little Pixie, do you order it from the net or do you buy it from the pet shops?

I'm currently living on fish fillets because I can't be bothered cooking for myself :D I am one of the laziest people on the planet I think (can't be bothered finding out for sure :eek:)

I just went out shopping for one afternoon and got a variety of bones and vegies, then mashed up all the vegies and froze them. As long as I remember to take some out in the morning, well, so far so good! Very little effort so far really. Being a full time student and also working four days a week... I really don't want to fill up all my spare time preparing dog food, trust me!

I bought Nutrience from the pet store I work in :) It does work out cheaper to buy it in the big bags if you have somewhere to store it. I used to alternate between Derma and Supreme for variety, even though the dogs didn't actually have sensitive skin.

Check out Greyhound food suppliers...one of the ones up this way already has a premade barf type mix which they sell in 2kg packs...might be worth seeing what's available down your way.. (and no i don't have greyhounds but the food is available to the public...it just seems to be a bit of a secret lol)

In my opinion, I don't really understand how any of these foods can claim to be for dogs with allergies. Most dogs develop food allergies on grains and corn. This would definitely negate Nutrience, the first four ingredients are "Lamb meal, ground rice, rice bran, chicken fat". Lamb meal is the only good ingredient of the three. Ground rice and rice bran are #'s 1 and 2, that means the MAJORITY of this kibble is rice. It's not even whole grain brown rice, just plain 'ole rice, BIG allergy catalyst. Lastly they add chicken fat, the sole purpose of that ingredient is to make the rice taste good so the dogs will eat it.

Franky if RAW or BARF are not an option for you, I would find a food that doesn't contain rice or corn, and has meats for AT LEAST the first two ingredients, three of the first four is even better.

Hope your baby feels better soon, I know from experience that an itchy dog is a miserable one!

Guest LittlePixie
Franky if RAW or BARF are not an option for you, I would find a food that doesn't contain rice or corn, and has meats for AT LEAST the first two ingredients, three of the first four is even better.

Only brand I know of like that is Spot On (first ingredients... Lamb meal, Meat meal, Fish meal). Do you know of any others?

Have you considered doing a grain-free meat mix such as Sojos Europa Grain-Free Dog Food Mix? Then all you have to do is mix in some meat and you have a complete meal! :eek: Much simpler than a raw diet, but at least you KNOW what's going into your dog. :D

**edited to add: I don't like the "meat meal" in the food you mentioned. You should always be aware of generic terms like "meat".

Edited by GreatDanz

I had my Rotty on Nutrience as a pup, it is fine BUT his poo was H U G E and stunk, so at 18 months I put him onto Iams and have had no more stinky barkers eggs.

Sounds like I am going backwards switching from Iams to Nutrience? I'd just wait and see what comes out of the other end I guess .... :D

I wouldn't say you're going backwards - personally I'd feed Nutrience before Iams, but different things work for different dogs, I wont feed any of my dogs Iams, even if I get it for free (no offence to those who do, I just don't like what they put in their food - read the list of ingredients and you'll see what I mean). :)

I agree Jeanne, and there is also some pretty compelling information out there about how they treat their test animals. Just do a search on the internet, you'll see!

Have any of you tried Innova? It looks like it is available in Australia, and it's really one of the better kibble brands.