Opinions Please

In the meantime, I would be using the Apple Cider Vinegar, but be sure to get it from a Health Food shop or Horse Food supplier because the bottles in the supermarket have colours and preservatives added and this might add to the problem instead of helping it.

Thanks ellz for mentioning this - I hadn't checked when I bought mine.

Just to save people a separate trip to the health food shop - Mountain Maid 100% Natural Apple Cider Vinegar is free from artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. And Aus made and owned.

I bought this bottle in Coles, I think I've bought it from Woolies too - and from memory it was the cheapest brand on the shelf.

Thanks for the opinions everyone.

I have decided that i will re-introduce raw chicken bones first...that way i can feed ralphy n Charlie the same meals.

They will have 1 cup of Hills for sensitive skin (chicken based) in the morning, 1 cup for training treats and Kongs etc...and for dinner chicken carcasses/wings etc.

Any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

ETA: I also bought Livamol to add to their meals.

Edited by MumOf2LabBoys

Well, today was the first day of me being daring and going back to what i know.

For breckie this morning i mixed half a cup of the Hills z/d low allergen he was on with the Hills Sensitive (chicken based) that i bought yesterday....and tonight he and Charlie will be having chicken carcasses.

I will be doing a massive vegie shop this weekend and will invest in a blender or mixer, to make up BARF patties to store in the freezer.

I read somewhere that you can give the patties frozen as a challenge?

Is this true?

Edited by MumOf2LabBoys

I can not feed mine Supercoat either, they develop cow pats for poops, makes poo patrol a nightmare :thumbsup: and apart from the Energy, they always developed hot spots, some even on Energy get them too. When I shop for commercial diets, I always flip over the bag and look at the ingredients and if it is full of fillers first, wheat, rice and those other ingredients including 'by-products' of animals, then I look for another bran.

I had a similiar problem with one of mine during summer and I tried most things, the last was a fish and potatoe diet, my dog then developed a lesion on the anus, fearing anal fruculosous, which can also be tied in with Irritable Bowel Syndrome and skin itchiness can also be tied in with I.B.S and hyperthyroidism, I went straight to the vet.

My vet was not too worried about my dog as he showed no other symptoms and what I had been feeding him could very well have turned his poops acidic which turned to slight diarrohea and that scalded the anus and because I had already tried BARF diets, he explained to me the process of protein in the body and that some proteins that are allergents can remain in a dogs system for up to 4 weeks depending on the dog, he recommended that I go straight to Eukanbu FP and that is $$$ too!

My dog did ok with it and there was no point in my seeking out my vets opinion if I was not going to follow his advice. So I stuck with the 15kg until completed. I did find a marginal improvement, but then the season was changing too, thou I found his condition was falling away slightly on this food. He had no flare ups of lesions nor bowel problems.

I believe the trigger was the chicken mince being fed, I took the gamble and put back onto what I original use to use, another premium biscuit with more goodies for energetic dogs and we have not looked back.

I ended up also having a full Body Function Profile done to rule out infections and organ abnormalities, the thyroid was also tested, my vet said it was unnecessary but knew I am paranoid, lol and it all came back clear.

Out of respect, I would have continued with what your dogs vet recommended and then report to them the results you found, but that is just me, I would just be concerned if your dog had a flare up, that your vet would get irritated that you didn't follow the initial advice adn we all know how frustrating that can be.

If you do BARF, the food allergy dog I took back, I had to go back to basics. With him, chicken mince was fine, but red meats no good, so under my vets instruction, I started with chicken and rice and then slowly over weeks, as opposed to days, I introduced one new ingredient at a time and if we had an allergy appear, that ingredient was wiped from teh diet. he gained nearly 10kg in 4 months too.

You need to also use a very good flea preventative and be ruthless, I used one every 2 weeks as opposed to what was recommended every 4.

A allergy dog can not have manufactured treats either, I do give them dried pure liver treats from time to time, otherwise it is lamb flaps or brisket bones, some will itch in the days after but they enjoy the treat, just as I do chocolate, lol, but those artificially coloured treats are off my shopping list, they dont like them anyway :thumbsup:

Edited by holly

Mum of 2 labboys,

Hi here is my 2 cents worth.

When Kim had her 1 and only hotspot I rubbed Malaseb into it and left it to dry next morning no hot spot. I also give my dogs yoghurt, plain until they see daddy eating strawberry then they want that as well. So they get yoghurt daily. When Riley was alive he always stunk and got some spots so I gave him the yoghurt and bathed him in Malaseb each week, the smell went and the spots disappeared.

My friends labs were always having ear problems and hotspots and she gave them yoghurt and cider vinegar in their meals it solved 90% of the skin problems.

My friends labs were always having ear problems and hotspots and she gave them yoghurt and cider vinegar in their meals it solved 90% of the skin problems.

thanks Isaviz, will keep this tip in mind, one of mine easily gets flare ups :thumbsup: