Like Or Not Like?

My 14 weeks old cavalier doesnt seem to be eating as much as I have ben told they do.

Once i place his puppie mincein his bowl he looks at it as if to say "You kidding, right?"

He goes crazy over his chicken necks but thats all he seems to like. I dont know if he is getting his proper nutrition.

The mince is chicken,liver,kidney and veges. As first he liked it but now he doesnt seem to want to eat it at all.

I can put his breakfast in of a morning and he will take a tiny nibble, and then when i get home its basically dried to the bowl and hardly anything has been eaten.

Any suggestions as to why he would be doing this? :D

He obviously doesn't like his mince as much as the necks, a lot of dogs go through this and you musn't let them get away with it. Try giving him his necks in the morning and his mince at night, if he doesn't eat his mince in half an hour put it in the fridge and don't offer it again till morning. Leave it with him until just before you go to work and if it's not gone then back in the fridge. He'll eat it, sooner or later, once he realises he's not getting anything else until he does - a hungry dog WILL eat, it's just a matter of time.

Maybe a bit of chicken of the bbq chicken?

Nooooooooooooooo...don't give in to those adorable little eyes!

I agree with Jeanne for the most part...the only thing i'd say different is don't give him 1/2 an hour to eat the food...give him 15 mins and then take it away. Don't give him any other food, no treats or snacks just keep offering him the mince stuff. He won't let himself starve and will most likely give in and eat with in 24 to 36 hours...and he will be fine :(

A healthy dog/pup will not starve themselves....but they will try and send us on a guilt trip! :mad

Ewww are you really giving him pet mince???

Do him a favour and get some real mince from the butcher - human quality, the good stuff... That pet mince is terrible stuff (usually with way too much fat in it)...

Hope he is picking up soon...

Cheers

Jodie

Is the puppy mince something you are making yourself (using BARF recipes) or is it something you are buying?

If you aren't making up a balanced type of puppy food, I'd be feeding him kibble. The mince bought from butchers or petshops is full of questionable stuff and preservatives. I only feed human grade mince in my BARF mix.

He won't go wrong with chicken necks but you need to get more balance into his diet. Either do your homework and make a BARF mix or feed a premium kibble for pups.

The mince is chicken,liver,kidney and veges.

Staffyluv, this sounds ok to me - if it is from the butcher like that then it probably has ground bone etc in it, so would be better for a dog than human grade mince anyway. The pet mince you buy from the butchers here is just ground bone and meat, no other nasties. It is worth checking with your butcher though exactly what "extras" goes into it.

The reason I say half an hour is that some dogs (well, Merlin anyway, I don't know of too many other dogs that do it) will sniff their food, go off as though they are waking up their stomach acids for 10 or so minutes, then return and eat like a kilo of food in one meal. It isn't that he's not hungry, I think he just has difficulty eating without smelling the food for a while first if that makes sence?

What is "puppy mince"?

If it were cooked, would you eat it? If not, then it is probably pet grade food. I would prefer to buy mince from the butcher and get some veges etc and do it myself. The dog might realise that he is getting substandard food if it is indeed "pet grade"...

They are clever critters!

Greentea, I wouldn't eat meat with crushed bone in it, or offal, but it is what is best for dogs, so the whole "cooking it up" thing isn't such a great theory. What I was saying about the pet mince here is that it is human quality chicken bones, minced up, no way in the world I would eat that, but if it wasn't minced and was shoved under the grill or what ever I'd certainly eat it! Melissa should check with the butcher exactly what is going in it - if there was preservatives etc I wouldn't feed it, but if it was just ground meat and bones, veggies and offal I would, though I certainly wouldn't eat that if it were cooked up! :D

Staffyluv, this sounds ok to me - if it is from the butcher like that then it probably has ground bone etc in it, so would be better for a dog than human grade mince anyway. The pet mince you buy from the butchers here is just ground bone and meat, no other nasties. It is worth checking with your butcher though exactly what "extras" goes into it.

It is a personal choice not to use 'pet mince'... I personally think the stuff (mince of any description) is rubbish and would not use it... But that is just my opinion. :D

I used human quality meat (actually never mince at all) - Chicken, turkey, roo and beef. As well as an assortment of veges, all cooked up together... I guess I am just fussy what I feed my pooch...

Cheers

Jodie

Is this coming from the butcher? Or is the pet mince you can get at the supermarket that says not fit for human consumption??

I was under the impression that butchers use the old off cuts for pet mince... :rofl:

Either way, I am like Staffyluv, I choose not to feed that stuff to my dogs. We only eat organic meat at our house, so the same applies for our dogs. While they require different things to us, I make sure the ingredients used are the same standard as ours. It is just a personal thing though...

Staffyluv and Greentea, it would be a better world if everyone could afford steak for their dog every night, but unfortunately some of us have to feed something a little cheaper. To be honest, I think you are doing your dog a BIG favour by feeding it stuff that we wouldn't eat, by feeding steaks etc you are depriving your dog from the natural calcium in bones.

If you ask around the butchers what they put in their pet mince you will probably find a variety of things. One butcher here bones the chickens and uses the scraped bones with a heap of fat added, after feeding the dogs for a few days on roo meat (there was a few kg they had to eat) I found this mix was perfect - lots of bone and fat to go with all the lean muscle meat they'd been eating. Another butcher grinds chicken necks up with offal, a good pet mince, they do it fresh and I would have no problems feeding my dogs that on a regular basis. Another uses floor scraps, god knows what goes into each batch of that, so I just don't buy it.

To be honest I think the sounds of the stuff this thread is about is good, bone crushed in for calcium, veggies (most butchers leave out the veggies), and offal - the type of diet I aim for with my own dogs. If you were to buy human grade meat (not mince) I'm afraid it would be almost impossible to get veggies into that dog, and it may very well grow up with deficiency's due to lack of bone in the diet, and offal.

I wont buy pet mince from the pet shop or supermarkets for the same reason as both of you will only feed human grade meat, because I don't trust what is in it, but if you ask the butcher they can generally tell you exactly what goes into it, and it generally isn't all that bad :rofl: