Working Kelpies/ Bordercollies

Thanks Denise

I must agree with you there Dave loves strong eyed dogs but he has told me a number of times that most 3 sheep trialers do not like Strong eyed dogs because as you say its had to stop them from clapping.

Dave loves Ding she is very strong eyed and as Dave says it all comes down to how you train them. loose eyed, medium eyed and strong eyed dogs all have to be trained differently and depending on the trainer to what they like. and what sort of success they have a strong eyed dogs can be very frustrating to work with but if you get thru to them can make a magificent working dog.

Abigail has about the perfect amount of eye for me as a pure novice but i can see how it would be hard for me if she had a lot of stong eye.

Tracey

Hi Tracey,

Yes it comes down to what a trainer is comfortable with - Alistair Dicksons (or however he spells his surname I never get it correct) has this Border Collie that had the most eye I had seen in a dog - wow was she sticky.

I said to Alistair you will have trouble with her - his comment was, no - I will get that eye out of her in no time - and he did. Now if you saw the dog work, you would think it was a dog with just a nice amount of eye - he is an amazing sheepdog trainer.

My Matti can get very sticky with her eye - she has a tad to much and it can cost me points at obstacles as she wants to 'stick' and not obey her side commands.

Good news for Melbournites - I went to David Higgins new place for a training session yesterday and had a wonderful time. What David is setting up for the city based dogs at Tullamarine is excellent - the facilities will be great when its all finished.

I did some casting practice with Matti getting ready for the Cressy trial and I was a proud mum - she did a beautiful 800m cast - in a strange paddock and finished beautiful and deep at the other end - and the wind was blowing so strong and back towards me she could not hear me once was sent - so she had to do it all on her own.

Now I can watch her stuff it up at the Cressy Trial and bring me back to earth with a thud :o Just have to love sheedog trialling it really shows just how human we are :laugh: and how smart our dogs are at manipulating us.

Regards,

Denise

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff Denise its nice when you can leave it too the dog. Specially when they can't hear you. I have taken to the Whistle for my stop, really got fed up with yelling and screaming for a stop. And I know when its windy etc a whixtle is alot easier for the dog to hear.

800 metres thats an awesome Cast I think most times if you can get that decent Cast and a nice stop then the rest will fall into place.

I still have a few issues with Abigail flattening out at the top and going in too sharp then she over shots the stop. Been told to shorten my cast again and send her out slingshot sideways and get up her if she comes in too quick. will give it a go tonight.

Let us know how you go with your cast at Cressy

Tracey

I have taken to the Whistle for my stop, really got fed up with yelling and screaming for a stop. And I know when its windy etc a whixtle is alot easier for the dog to hear.

800 metres thats an awesome Cast I think most times if you can get that decent Cast and a nice stop then the rest will fall into place.

Tell me its not a sheepdog whislte or I am going to be green with envy :o

I have been practising using one of those little plastic whistles for months - I sit in the car to and from work whistling to the songs on the radio (just as well I drive alone or my passenger would be insane by now).

So I go down the paddock to practice on the dogs - and all I get is a thrrrrrr sound and a lot of spit :D So husband (who can use one like a bird) tells me to relax the lips !!!! and if we are like any other married couple in this world - those simple words can become 'fighting' words - So I relaxed the lips - still no luck - so I pulled out the trusty referees whistle!!!

Alistair gave Glenn a 'jade' whistle from NZ because he said that he uses the whistle so beautifully - he told me to keep practising with the plastic - I got the hint :hitself:

It was a lovely cast and I was a proud - however Cressy is a different day and knowing Matti she will bring me back to earth with a thud - not to worry I will still love her - and all my dogs not matter how they perform.

Wish I could say the same for the sheep :eek:

I am so looking forward to the workshop in Canberra - if anyone of the list is going let me know. I am staying at Karne Edwars overnight as there was no accommodation left.

Neece

I use a jade whistle, and they are HEAPS easier to use than the plastic ones (plus they look like jewellery, so I can wear it to work etc). So tell Glenn that you need the jade one to learn on, and he can stick with the plastic :eek:

I struggled to learn to use those whistles, but the problem was that I was trying too hard. I started putting one in my mouth when I took the dogs out for long walks, or driving in the car, and gradually got the hang of it. Basically your lips are just holding it still, you make the noise with the shape of your tongue underneath the whistle.

Now I've "got it", I try to practice by whistling along to the radio in the car- gets some interesting looks from other drivers at the traffic lights :D

Struth, a jade whistle costs a few bucks! :thumbsup:

What about a metal one? There are a few here and here.

Is there anything about jade ones that is better than other whistles? (Not that I'm going to buy a jade one! Too 'spensive! And I'd worry about breaking it!)

Edited by sidoney

I think the Jade whistles are about $A60- or there abouts. There is no way Glenn would give me his, he wears it to bed!!!

I can use the plastic one - when I am not trying to work a dog - Glenn tells me its because I am trying to hard - thus the strange noises that come out - I will try and relax the lips more :thumbsup:

The workshop is on the 2nd and 3rd (sunday and monday) of October

Regards,

Neece

Here is the info Kelpiecuddles:

Sheepdog Training Clinic with Bernard Ahrens (NZ)

Dates: 2-3 October 2005

Should the numbers exceed available places, there may be an opportunity to

arrange small group sessions/privates on 30/9 and 1/10/05. These sessions

would be good for handlers and/or dogs with some herding experience.

Venue: Bungendore (30 min east of Canberra)

Cost: working spots - $160 for the weekend ($90 per day), auditors $45

weekend ($30 per day). Second dogs will be $50 (but may be limited if all

working spots are taken)

Camping: available at Bungendore Showgrounds ($10/site power/showers etc).

A list of other accommodation/food places etc will be sent to participants.

Bernard Ahrens is one of New Zealand’s top sheepdog trainers and

triallists. He is a sheep and beef farmer, and has been training dogs for

about 30 years and runs training days in New Zealand.

Bernard has won 3 NZ titles, 10 Island titles and over 20 Island and NZ

placings, and has represented NZ six times in Trans-Tasman tests against

Australia. Bernard was in the NZ team that competed at the recent ISDS

World Sheepdog Championships at Tullamore, Ireland, in July 2005, the

first time NZ has competed at a World Championship. He ran 2 dogs in the

NZ team of 5. He is bringing one of these dogs, Slate, over to Australia

with him and will use her for demonstrations at the clinic. This dog will

then be trialling in Australia for the rest of October, a testament to her

versatility.

The clinic is open to handlers/dogs at all levels. We hope to cover an

introduction to driving, penning, shedding and trial handling if time

permits. Since Bernard does not have experience working with loose-eyed

dogs, the clinic will be limited to border collies, kelpies and coolies.

To secure a spot please send an email to Karen Edwards with your name,

email, phone no., address, dog’s name (and breed/age) and what herding

experience you have had. Please also indicate your availability for the

30/9 and /or 1/10 if all working spots for the clinic are filled.

Please send a cheque to Karen Edwards for the full amount and made out to

“Bernard Ahrens” by 16 September.

Edited by Vickie

Yep, I find the jade whistles easier to get a nice whistle from- the plastic ones (I have two types) take a bit more concentration and effort to whistle with, and when things go pear-shaped and you get a bit stressed, you find yourself just spluttering.

The plastic ones also seem to get spit-logged easily- I've never had that problem with the jade. And I can get a better range of low/soft notes from the jade.

One of my friends has a metal whistle (one of the montana half moon ones), and she loves it- its easier for me than plastic, but still not as easy as the jade.

Considering how many of the plastic ones I have lost (the couch keeps eating them) the jade whistle isn't so expensive- I can wear it out socially and at work, so I never take it off, and look after it (well, I have lost one :rolleyes: ). I've heard you can break them if you drop a brick on one- but since mine is always round my neck now (not losing another) I hope not to drop too many bricks on it :thumbsup:

Tell me its not a sheepdog whislte or I am going to be green with envy 

I have been practising using one of those little plastic whistles for months - I sit in the car to and from work whistling to the songs on the radio (just as well I drive alone or my passenger would be insane by now).

So I go down the paddock to practice on the dogs - and all I get is a thrrrrrr sound and a lot of spit  So husband (who can use one like a bird) tells me to relax the lips !!!! and if we are like any other married couple in this world - those simple words can become 'fighting' words - So I relaxed the lips - still no luck - so I pulled out the trusty referees whistle!!!

Yep sorry a shepherds Whistle but i can not get different sounds out every time so just use a sharp loud whistle and to her it means stop STOP STOP She is getting better better then me yelling at her.

Dave makes the most amzing sounds when he whistles . people are always asking him what sort of whistle he uses??? he doesn't use one its amazing

Tracey