Working Kelpies/ Bordercollies

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a BC but we have people at training who do obedience and agility trials with them and do quite well. You can also get into yard dog trials I believe. BC's can be trained to do just about anything, fly ball, scent trialling, endurance tests. In my oppinion the more things you can get into with your dog the better :eek:

hmm with Bodie im doing herding (well.. VCA type herding atm) obedience, tracking (prelim in sept hopefully) beginners flyball (he is only 9.5 months old) occasionally tricks and contact agility obstacles at home .... that enough??

the older 2 are just doing obedience going for CD I doubt they will even attempt open :eek: and dabbling in agility and flyball, Kira is going to attempt endurance next year (she wont have any trouble, I however will!!)

post-9-1124506018.jpg

Kira is going to attempt endurance next year (she wont have any trouble, I however will!!)

I'd love to do an endurance test with Montie, but he is too small for me to safely ride alongside, and I can't run that far so I'm afraid it's not going to happen!

Guest cloverfdch

My BC boy does Flyball, Herding, Obedience, Tricks (Home school) and hopefully some Agility in the coming months, i would also love to do tracking but i am not a morning person :eek:.

I don't have a BC, but something v. similar - an Aussie shepherd... he is not the most active, but certianly active enough!!!! If i'm doing nothing, he'll do nothing, but if i'm doing something that involves moving around - he's in for it!!! At the moment, due to the way our club is structured (not allowed to do any agility, flyball until get basic obedience title - around 14mths) we are only doing obedience and just started agility (another club - Leo is about to have his test soon). When we get started I think he'll move like a rocket in agility as he loves it - won't stop barking.... BTW anyone know how to stop that???? He knows what quiet means... Later on, when he is older we'll do some flyball and maybe herding, but i've heard it is quite expensive (lol - 'scuse the pun!!).

hope that helps :eek:

Oooh, my kind of discussion.

We in the process of getting some sheep so we can work our girl anytime we feel like it....yipee! No more 3 hours drives to get to them :eek:

We have an Australian Working Kelpie, Beloka line and part Puds line. Full of beans and attitude - just the way we like them!

Here she is patiently awaiting her turn during a trial!

Gallery_Tasha_tall.jpg

And when she grows up she wants to be a dentist!

(our GSD Buddy and Corgie x Lochie)

DSC00427.jpg

This is Avenpart Xeria - Xia - with one of my Vizslas, Cedar.

Xia4Aug05-playCedar.jpg

Xia is about 11 months old now and is by O'Brees Gamble and out of Avenpart Fidelia. She has been doing foundation agility training and has had one day with sheep, at which she showed natural ability (more than could be said for me).

This link takes you to a thread about Xia's first day herding, and there are photos there as well, that Vickie took. :eek:

BTW I think Xia is in training for dentistry too!

Hi there,

I don't do anything but sheep with mine, they know how to play ball and occasionally bring it back, Kelpie- I , I like the picture you've got beside your name, who is it???

One Puds Dogs have you got in your dog???

What are you going to train for when you get your sheep???

Sydeny, I like the pictures of xia as well, where did you get her from???

Wally2020 :eek:

I'm looking into the Avenpart line for my next dog. Have heard they are of lovely temperament and good wokers.

Tasha is from Beloka Scooter out of Puds Mandy. We do not do ANKC type herding but rather work with Paul McPhail doing both yard and paddock work. When we get the sheep, we'll be practising casts, backing and probably more paddock work. I think my OH is interested in teaching her to drive the stock as well, however this is further down the track at this stage.

The pic on my avatar is one I found on the internet. No idea who it is, just liked the pic!

WALLY2020

I have show border Collies / Showxworking Border Collies and pure working border Collies (Well no my partner has pure working Border Collies.

I am involved with Conformation Showing and Herding I used to do obedience and agility but my new love Herding doesn't give me any time to do it all so i decided to give obedience and agility away and concentrate on herding while i still show my show dogs.

I have one show dog that is currently competing in 3 sheep trialing as well as Kennel club herding which my partner has trained and is running (Video of Cybil at Toowoomba Royal trialing in 3 sheep

http://www.youtube.com/?v=8IS1U3Sxi_M

.I have a young bitch up and coming and I hope to 3 sheep trail her next year. She is currently competing in A Course Sheep and Ducks Started Level as well as B Course Sheep and Ducks Started level.

She has 2/3 for Started A Course Sheep

1/3 B Course Sheep

1/3 B Course Ducks.

My main problem with her is getting her to slow down but is starting to show some eye and doing intermediate work on sheep at the moment.

I also have a number of young dogs coming thru (Video of Young Sally

http://www.youtube.com/?v=gn5UG7MHLVs

http://www.youtube.com/?v=zYex8hySuE8

Tracey

Fidelis Border Collies

I have 3 BCs, one M show bred, one M half show half working & one F all working bred. I have done agility with my boys & will also do it with my pup. I am hoping to enter her in her first 3 sheep encourager trial in a few months.

Thought I might add a couple of kelpie pics I took today at training.

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

and one of my BC, Trim

medium.jpg

We worked on some very interesting stuff today, a bit different from what we normally do. We did a bit in the yard, then some casting practice out in the paddock & then something new:

A bit hard to explain, without a picture/diagram...but basically we moved about 20 sheep up & down an open laneway. One side was a fence & the other was open with a slope to 2 dams, which are a big draw for the sheep. There were a couple of dogs tied up & people walking through every now & then, all of which added pressure. Trim settled very nicely. Her job was to move in 180's to hold the sheep along the fenceline. They strung out a couple of times & I had to help her, but she did really well for a young dog & it was a very worthwhile exercise to watch her settle & hold them calmly.

The other, was simply getting her to push the same number of sheep into a corner, again with the dams as a draw. On 2 sides, other sheep were being worked & again people wandered through. I let her hold them to me for a min or two & then backed out myself & she had to squeeze in through the fence & the sheep & then get out to cover to stop them breaking for the dam. It started a bit hairy at first, but again she settled very nicely & managed to push & hold them well.

It was fun to do something different & a good learning experience for both of us.

Edited by Vickie

Sounds Great Vicki

I only ever get to practise at night and now that i am trying to do some distance work with Abigail its getting more and more interesting.

Still having problems stopping her she just never stays still, as soon as she stops she starts creeping and if i take my eyes off her for 1 sec she moves.

She stops perfectly for Dave which really upsets me. :rofl: ;) KEEP TELLING HER YOU ARE MY DOG do as i say.

She is coming along nively thou

Tracey

Love the photos of Trim. Trim and Abigail are Half sisters arn't they???

Yes they're half sisters. Have you got any pics of her? I'd love to see some. They're certainly keen, LOL. Trim does this little thing where she thinks that if she crawls along ever so slowly I won't notice :rofl: .

She's getting pretty good though & I can actually down her & she'll stay while another dog works in the same yard/paddock. I know it's hard for her, but she's doing really well. People keep telling me to trust her more..what's the worst that can happen? So she has been spending a lot more time offlead at training while she's not working, every now & then it all gets to much but she has improved dramatically since I started to trust her.

I really think it has helped her steady in her work as well. She is a little older than Abigail, so maybe it's an age thing as well. The exercises today were really good for her to steady & settle and I'd like to do them again a little each time I go for a while.

I can have abigail off lead all the time she is pretty good like a spring ready to go at the slightest encouragement. I just have to say "That'll Do" and she will come back even if she is off full pelt.

Here are some photos of her

http://home.iprimus.com.au/fidelis4bcs/Fid...s/slide0012.htm

She is showing more and more eye but i don't think she will ever show as much as trim, she has some of that show Blood in her remember :rofl: ;) :whip:

Tracey

Edited by fidelis Border Collies