Working Kelpies/ Bordercollies

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Viki and Tracy,

What an unusual colour your dogs are they are very pretty though. Who do you train with???? It sounds likes your dogs are going really well. :rofl:

Do you start of in the roundyard or how do you start your dogs off????

Wally2020

LOL, It's only me with the funny coloured dogs, Traceys are mostly B&W.

I started Trim with her breeder & now train with Hawkesbury sheepdog club. We haven't spent a lot of time in the round yard. Just 2-3 times I think. We started in a larger square yard.

So how many dogs do you have Wally2020, what stages are they at? I'm assuming they're kelpies from your avatar. Any pics?

We started Tasha off in the small yard as a very young pup (8 weeks) with some trained sheep and slowly increased the amount of sheep. She is now 18 months old and is working the paddock which she tends to to best. As mentioned in a previous thread, she can be a little sticky at times but is slowly getting over that with a little encouragement. We have never used a lead on her but rather worked with rakes and voice/whistles.

She is a good backer especially when in the race, albeit we've only done minimal backing with her. She stops and balances well, even though she comes in a little too high on the flanks at times.

She has come 3rd in Encourage earlier this year at the Warrigul trials, beaten by 2 Novice dogs which is a really good effort :rofl:. We also work her on the ducks as well.

As I mentiond in my first thread, we are now getting our own sheep which means we will be able to practice with her a lot more. Previously it was a 3 hour drive to get to the trainer which was tough.

I've got three dogs, I've got a red/tan male, who is now 3 and a half and I have done three sheep, yard and Utility trials with him, he has won a couple of farmers three sheep and won and placed in encourage yard trials, he is also the main one I use for all my normal work, He is pure Avenpart. I have a Blue and Tan femae who is about 18 months old now, and she is a very natural paddock dog, but is being very difficult to get on top of. And I have a Black and Tan Bitch who is now a bit over 5 she was given to me a bit over 6 months ago and had not had any sheep experience before she came to me and she is now not going to bad, I don't think she will ever get to a trial standard, but I have joined her to my Avenpart, just to see what he breeds on like and to get a couple of pups for myself, They should be fairly forcefull yard dogs, with hopefully a bit of outside ability, She is Philscreek lines and is very affectionate and loving bitch. I hope that has explained a bit about them, feel free to ask any other questions.

Wally2020 :rofl:

post-9-1124578688.jpg

post-9-1124578688.jpg

Kelpie i

I think coming 3rd against to Novice dogs is a very good effort, I think you will over come that stickiness as long as you keep her moving and don't let her stick.

I like to do abit of backing with mine just to give them a little bit more confidence with the sheep, and also gives you another lot of of trials you can have a go at and something different for the dogs to keep them keen and interested, not that my dogs have ever lost interest they are mad keen on sheep.

Wally2020

Wally2020

Where are you from? The farmer trials you mentioned, are they in Vic? The trials we enter into are farmer trials as well as we don't like the ANKC type. How do you feel kelpies go in 3 sheep trials? I am told this is more a BC type style.

I am looking at getting another kelpie and have been looking for a soft line. Can you tell me more about the Avenpart lines. Before owning Tasha, we owned a blue kelpie named "Blue" who was extremely hard. He's now working cattle in central Vic.

Have been working on her stickiness by using the rake to get her going.

Have you ever worked ducks??

Hi Kelpie i

I'm from near Seymour in Vic, The Farmers trials I have worked at are all around here, Three Sheep Trialling is avery Collie dominated sport and alot of them are worked by retired farmers and that is all they do and train for. I love my kelpies and wouldn't trade them for anything, I think it probably depends on a peronal preference and what else you want to do with them, My red/tan kelpie is a natural yard dog and didn't show any eye or paddock ability until he was three, but he has now been put up to a novice standard and still goes all right against the Collies, he isn't in the finals but he is usually in the top half of the scores, but we only go out there to have a bit of fun.

Avenpart has quite a range of dogs, they have different lines that suit different things, I think Avenpart Wump is breeding on fairly well and has placed at Novice three sheep, but he will also work yards and cattle at home.

I hope that has helped a little bit

Wally2020

post-9-1124580468.jpg

post-9-1124580468.jpg

Thanks for that Wally2020

Do you travel to Gippsland at all for your trails. We attend those mostlly.

I was also looking at the Go-getta lines by Joe Spicer and the Puds lines. I suppose the right dog will find me.

Not sure I'd be interested in 3 sheep trials but would like to give it ago some day perhaps.

You sound as though you are really enjoying what you do (as do your gorgeous kelpies).

Don't get down to Gippland alot mainly around here and occasionally down around Geelong, where abouts are you from????

I think the puds line can be a bit harder, my Dad has a couple which are a little bit harder, it could be just them though.

I don't really know what Go Getta Kelpies are like ( whether they are easy or not), Joe does really well in trials, but he is a really good handler and a very good salesman, it all comes down to what you like at the time of purchase.

Wally2020

post-9-1124581243.jpg

post-9-1124581243.jpg

We are in Melbourne but we travel to where ever the sheep are :rofl:

Joe Spicer is certainly a very good handler and have watched him on a number of occassions with his dogs. He had one of his dogs up for auction at Casterton who was lovely. I agree, he's certainly a salesman!

Our bitch is part Puds (mother's side) and she is soft but has attitude which works well when on tough sheep.

I must be in the dark ages.. what happens in Geelong? Are you a member of the VHA? I think we mainly go down to Gippsland b/c that's where Paul McPhail is.

I'd love to come to Geelong and see the action there.

Hi Wally,

I have 2 red and tan Kelpies. One 2 years old and one 8 months.

I planned to do obedience and agility mainly and a bit of herding as we didnt have access to stock but as it turns out we have had access nearly every weekend to stock and we have become herding addicts.

Obedience and agility dont even get a look in. We have a huge amount of fun with the dogs and they thrive on it.

I have learnt that genetics play a huge part in the dogs ability and I searched through alot of breeders before buying the pup. He is from Gogetta and is the best decision i have ever made. I couldnt want more from a little sheepdog. I got him purely for competing in yard trials and hope to start next year.

I told Joe exactly what we wanted and he gave us just that. At 6 weeks he told us what his strong points would be and the traits we would have to keep an eye out for and the pup has turned out just as he said. He knows his dogs and abilities very well and is also an awesome teacher.

I started the pup at 7 weeks in the round yard with ducks. He learnt all the basics in the round yard and learnt alot of self control before going out of it. We use the ducks at home as we dont have sheep. We do sheep on the weekend. Ducks are fantastic as they dont get dog trained like sheep and are always flighty. Everything he has learned on the ducks transfers straight over to the sheep.

Kate.

I have a 5 year old black and white Kelpie cross I got from the pound as a pup. From Zoe's appearance and working ability, I'd say a decent amount of working lines in there somewhere.

I have done a lot of obedience and some agility with her (she prefers agility!), unfortunately she is dog aggressive though so I am not taking her to classes at the moment.

I am hoping to get a working line kelpie pup next year, also looking into Avenpart! I hope to do mainly agility with the pup, but may look into herding as all these threads on it have peaked my interest! May not be a regular thing though as I am not sure I am up to all that travelling.

My internet is out of action until Tues/wed so will put up pictures then (I am at my parents place).

told Joe exactly what we wanted and he gave us just that. At 6 weeks he told us what his strong points would be and the traits we would have to keep an eye out for and the pup has turned out just as he said. He knows his dogs and abilities very well and is also an awesome teacher

Hi jesomil, I have spoken with Joe about getting one of his pups and he was most helpful...Paul McPhail stirs him up all the time about hia sales pitches which is why I made the comment.

At this stage I am undecided as to which line would be suitable more suited , but I suppose the more I am looking, the more confused I am getting. I should probably stick to what I know.

We use the ducks at home as we dont have sheep. We do sheep on the weekend. Ducks are fantastic as they dont get dog trained like sheep and are always flighty. Everything he has learned on the ducks transfers straight over to the sheep.

Yay, someone else who uses ducks!!! They are sensational to work with as they really teach the dog to steady and not go in so hard. I must admit, I fall into fits of laughter when they flap their wings and scare the s*%^t out of some dogs :thumbsup: Have you entered into the duck trials?? We haven't, it looks so darn hard.

Kavik, Warning...Herding is addictive!! :)

Just want to hear from any Kelpie / B/C people out there on what they do with Dogs.

I like the Avenpart Lines myself and just want to hear waht other people have and do.. :clap:

Hello Wally,

You do realise that next time I see you M - Wally it will be - this is now your official name ;)) Wally and Wizz!!!! Forum we are good friends by the way, so its OK for me to say this :)

I guess when it comes to dogs, everyone has to purchase from a breeder that can supply what that person is looking for in a dog.

As Wally knows - I want first and foremost in my dogs is pure paddock ability and I don't give a hoot if any of my dogs can back or work the yards (they all can) - I just don't do it, because i have no interest in Yard dog trails. As such I choose and stay with Avenpart because of their paddock ability, and because they are tall, fine athletic type dogs.

Later this year we are going to give Cattle Trials a go - which should be fun. And I will have to get my girls ready for the WKC Nationals next year - which means that Wally has to spend some time teaching me how to do Yard Work (yuk) :eek:

However, as it is the Nationals I will have to bite the bullet and let my girls do some yard work - well maybe just Avenpart Georgena :thumbsup:

Regards,

Avenglenn

Hi Everyone,

Nice to see taht you have joined in Avenglenn. Avenparts are very athletic dogs and have been known to do well in Agility as well as herding as well.

Joes Dogs are very good dogs, but they don't do real work, which probably doesn't worry you any way, I have never been to one of Joes schools, have heard mixed things about them, I myself have been to quite a few Greg Prince schools and absolutely love them, and I don't think I would ever go away from this way. It is a gentle approach to training, and shows the dog what you want of them, with little force, it is based on Comfort Zones, Avenglenn may be able to explain a bit more a she is better with words.

I have heard that ducks are very good for starting pups off on, I have never tried it myself, as we have never been aloud to have ducks at home.

Hi Kavik nice to hear from you can't wait to see the pics, I agree it is fantastic seeing all these pics and hearing from all these different people.

Jesomil, I'm glad Joe was so much help to you, he originally started off work on the Elfinvale Stud and I think that is where he got most of his experience and plus he has been breeding for quite a few years now, and has a great knowlege of his dogs.

Wally2020

lol made the mistake of taking Hubby to herding at Denise's yesterday. He now tells me he wants a kelpie as our next dog!! Noooooooo i love watching them, seeing them work but i think they are too much dog for me :thumbsup: and i usually end up doing all the formal training for our dogs!!

It's amazing the differences & similarities in the 2 breeds. Every time I think I have it worked out, I see something in a dog that proves me wrong.

I was just talking to someone on the weekend. They have all kelpies & 1 BC & said they'll stick to the kelpies from now on. That the kelpies are much easier to trust & when you need to rely on the to make the right decisions, they can without losing it or needing to be managed.

I tend to see a bigger variation in the way the different lines of kelpies work up here, compared to the BCs, many of which seem to be bred quite similarly.

I can't imagine ever switching breeds, but I have developed a real love of the kelpies, they are amazing & versatile dogs.

post-9-1124681225.jpg

post-9-1124681225.jpg

Edited by Vickie