• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: definitions of sheepdog terms... there's a brief glossary (US) here:

sheepdog terms

Here's another:

square flanks

Hi Vickie-

Square flanks are less trouble but may induce a feeling in the sheep that your dog is a little bit weak. They may stop or start to challenge him. Tight flanks can be ruled out as they are not useful in any case. I will contradict myself here, though, by saying that in exceptional cases a square flnak can be a very useful tool to have in reserve - with shedding for instance when you want the sheep to feel they are not being controlled.

I was thinking about this weekend- we were watching some video of UK trials (One Man and His Dog) and Australian trials- some televised events from the early 1990s, and some home video. Speculating- are the UK sheep heavier, and need more pressure from the dogs? Certainly I had much more of a feeling of imminent disaster watching the Australian dogs and sheep, even when they did nice runs. Its quite a different style of trial from the UK ones (the TV coverage, anyway)- but to be honest, the UK dogs had really square flanks too.

All I know is that my kelpie doesn't give much ground on his flanks- more than I thought, watching us on video, but not much- he prefers to curve around, moving out only slightly as he starts the flank. Triallers usually point it out as a flaw. The pups I am training (one BC, one kelpie) both have lovely square flanks, and even on the trainer sheep, it feels more controlled. Both the pups also have walk-up strength, and will stand their ground, so shouldn't be hard to bring in.

To see square flanks and giving ground in use on the trial ground- check out Tracey L's Queensland Sheepdog Association website, with the footage of runs from a recent trial. There's a clip of Snow Potter and Potter's Kane (placed 5th, I think), and that dog gives ground nicely (as far as I can see).

On the topic of what you do with your dogs:

I have one shelter kelpie, who is helping me start on sheep, and hopefully will be game to have a run in a yard trial or two next year (and maybe 3sheep, although I won't clear space for the trophies yet :rofl: ). We have done a couple of test days for ANKC herding, did the HT. We do agility for "fun" :D

My cattle dog (not a kelpie or BC, but associates with them) also has his HT, is semiretired from obedience and agility. He supervises activities from the ute cab :p , bites impudent BC/kelpie puppies :eek: , and pushes sheep around in yards occasionally.

I am also training two pups, one is a 6mo kelpie, lots of Philscreek and Avenpart in her pedigree, although she looks like a Rotti-Corgi cross :D She's an absolute little CRACKER :laugh: !!! She lives at the farm, with my OH's 10 other dogs, but I get to see her on weekends, and odd "city holidays", and hopefully she'll do agility for me too.

My 8mo BC foster pup (one my OH isn't keeping) is staying with us while learning to be a city dog (and find a pet home) - but he is SUCH a sweetheart, and this weekend he showed so much class and style on sheep, I am going to find it hard to part with him :eek:

This week my city kelpie enjoyed his first real work on a mob- so far he's only worked small groups of sheep (up to 30). Friday we had to move a proper mob (2500 ewes and lambs) across the farm, and so my boy got to work with the two older dogs. He'd never worked so many sheep before, and hadn't driven sheep or worked in front of a vehicle before either, so it was a steep learning curve. But it was amazing how quickly he started copying the older dogs, and got the hang of turning in the corners etc. Good fun, and the he enjoyed doing some "proper" work :D

Editted to add some photos:

billmudgusute.jpgmudbillute.jpg

mobatgate.jpgmudsheep.jpg

WAYROUNDMUD.jpg

drivingmud.jpg

mudcharlierunning.jpg

mudjumps.jpg

Edited by mjk05

I'm jealous what is the GREEN Stuff on the Ground

:rofl: Yep, most rain at this time of year in living memory, apparently!

It was absolutely beautiful all week- few days of rain, but otherwise sunny days, light wind, occasional showers (at night). Everything's growing so quickly, sheep are fat, lambs are enormous, and the crops growing like weeds :D Makes me glad to be alive just walking across a paddock :)

Here's two of the boys (Muddy the city dog and Buster the farm dog- both rescues, one from a shelter and one from a bullet) enjoying a run through the oats (which was over their heads- they had to keep bouncing like dolphins :o ):

busteroats.jpg

mudoats2.jpg

mudoats1.jpg

bustermudbike1.jpg

Mjk05, sounds like an awesome experience for you & your kelpie, you are so lucky to get opportunities like that

Yep, I know- even if it is a 3hour drive :( The dogs and I hang out for the weekends, and I'm counting the days before my next holiday. And also counting down until I move down there fulltime. The dogs might go down for a few weeks on their own soon, let them live like real working dogs (although they still get to sleep on the furniture ;) )

Anytime you feel like visiting WA, Vickie, drop me a line, and you'd be welcome to come and enjoy yourself ;)

KJ- Rose and Sylvia are gorgeous! What sort of work do they do?

Yep, I know- even if it is a 3hour drive :) The dogs and I hang out for the weekends, and I'm counting the days before my next holiday. And also counting down until I move down there fulltime. The dogs might go down for a few weeks on their own soon, let them live like real working dogs (although they still get to sleep on the furniture ;) )

Anytime you feel like visiting WA, Vickie, drop me a line, and you'd be welcome to come and enjoy yourself :crazy:

Thanks Mjk, that's a lovely offer, one I hope I can take you up on one day.

We're a bit out of control atm...I think it goes something like this:

Hi, my name is Vickie & I am an addict!

I have spent 6 hours driving, so far over a 4 day period & plan to spend another 6 over the next 4 days. By Saturday, Trim & I will have worked sheep 5 days out of 8, spent 12 hrs driving, an absolute fortune in petrol...and had the time of our bloody lives!

I wonder of they have patches for this :(

I have been offered sheep herding lessons with the owners of Merrynvale Working Kelpies. I'm curious if anyone here has heard of them/know what they're like? They've been around for about 7 years and began with Futura, Scoriochre and Noonbarra bloodlines.

Possible Herding Clinic in Victoria late September / Early October,

Hi all -I am jumping the gun a bit as I am still confirming with the NSW people if this will happen, however, we may have one of NZ top handlers in Victoria late September / Early October for a herding workshop. If not the same person is holding a workshop in Bungandore NSW early October.

Cost etc for the Vic workshop would be the same as NSW - $90 per dog per day ($180 for the weekend) - as the trainer has no experience with loose eyed breeds the workshops will be restricted to Kelpies, Border Collies and Koolies.

As soon as I know if it will proceed I will advise via this link - if not, if not I will catch up with some of you guys no doubt at the Bungandore workshop.

Best regards,

Avenglenn

Avenglenn wrote

as the trainer has no experience with loose eyed breeds the workshops will be restricted to Kelpies, Border Collies and Koolies.

Just wondering I have border collies which are loose Eyed I know i am too far to even think about coming but what about the people down there with loose Eyed Kelpies, Border Collies and Koolies.????

Just a thought

Tracey

Edited by fidelis Border Collies

Tracey, in the clinic I did with him, there was quite a range as far as eye goes across the 3 breeds. It certainly wasn't a problem. I'm sure he would just prefer to work with breeds he has experience with, which may not include some of the very loose eyed breeds.

ETA Pippi Bungendore is near Canberra

Edited by Vickie

Tracey, in the clinic I did with him, there was quite a range as far as eye goes across the 3 breeds. It certainly wasn't a problem. I'm sure he would just prefer to work with breeds he has experience with, which may not include some of the very loose eyed breeds.

ETA Pippi Bungendore is near Canberra

Personally I don't like the term loose eyed, I think it is derogative to all dogs - as the majority of the top three sheep trial dogs in this country would be termed loose eyed!!

A lot of eye is not good in a trial dog or work dog for that matter. My Matti is strong eyed and we are forever fighting on course - it is only through some great help from very experienced trialers that I have her moving on her commands each and every time in some very sticky situations

I think Bernard is just more comfortable with working with breeds that he knows - being Border, Kelpies, Koolies and natually New Zealand Heading dogs - still no word back yet from NSW - so not sure if he can make it this time to Victoria - if not he will be down next year.

I am looking forward to the workshop in Bungadore - should be great fun and hopefully will get to meet up some people from various lists.

Regards,

Denise

Hi all,

Bad news is Bernard can't make it to Melbourne this trip :)

Good news is I have booked my flights and will be attending the Bungadore workshop - so looking forward to catching up with some NSW and ACT people :clap:

It should be great fun - and sooo looking forward to learning some new stuff :thumbsup:

Avenglenn

Hi, great thread btw!

i have a bc, she is 18months now... i am training her basic commands... she has picked them up well seens as she had NO training whatsoever (was a "lapdog" for her previous owner)

but im having trouble with stay, and her recall is okkkk, though we dont havge much experience when there are others (canines or ppl) about ... it gets pretty lonely out here!

I think once i manage to get complete control over her in most situations- it would be great to see how she goes at some of these things... she is a fetch, and jump-n-catch addict with anything you throw so she loves to be active 24/7

see my sig fer her smiling face!

O-ren reminds me very much of cloverfch's Elvis very pretty :laugh:

lol today i have discovered Bodie is a anti-clockwise dog!!! he does "here" without any issues but behind.... well he does not like doing that too much and there are struggles!!

but we had a great training day today!!! his stop was sooo much better and it has been a 2 week break from sheep!!

And his distance is getting better!! he cast pretty well *very proud*

a all around good day :eek:

Personally I don't like the term loose eyed, I think it is derogative to all dogs - as the majority of the top three sheep trial dogs in this country would be termed loose eyed!!

A lot of eye is not good in a trial dog or work dog for that matter. My Matti is strong eyed and we are forever fighting on course - it is only through some great help from very experienced trialers that I have her moving on her commands each and every time in some very sticky situations

I think Bernard is just more comfortable with working with breeds that he knows - being Border, Kelpies, Koolies and natually New Zealand Heading dogs - still no word back yet from NSW - so not sure if he can make it this time to Victoria - if not he will be down next year.

I am looking forward to the workshop in Bungadore - should be great fun and hopefully will get to meet up some people from various lists.

Regards,

Denise

Thanks Denise

I must agree with you there Dave loves strong eyed dogs but he has told me a number of times that most 3 sheep trialers do not like Strong eyed dogs because as you say its had to stop them from clapping.

Dave loves Ding she is very strong eyed and as Dave says it all comes down to how you train them. loose eyed, medium eyed and strong eyed dogs all have to be trained differently and depending on the trainer to what they like. and what sort of success they have a strong eyed dogs can be very frustrating to work with but if you get thru to them can make a magificent working dog.

Abigail has about the perfect amount of eye for me as a pure novice but i can see how it would be hard for me if she had a lot of stong eye.

Tracey