Panting - What Is Excessive?

Alibear

I am not sure if Bear is excessively panting or if it is just normal.

After a walk or running around the park for instance Bear will pant. Now I know all dogs will pant after exercise, but I feel like he does it an awful lot and it takes him a long time to get back to breathing like normal again.

I don't think we are walking to far as he has always still got lots of energy when we get home and he never drags behind or acts like he doesn't want to walk anymore. If it is when he is at the park, I figure if he was to tired he would sit and rest, but never does so this is why I don't think it is because of to much exercise!

We are due to go back to the vet in about 1 mth and of course I can go earlier, but was just looking for some input from others who exercise there dogs.

Sorry if this is a really silly question, but I am just a little concerned as I don't know what is "normal".

Thanks in advance.

Does he pant with his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth or at the front?

Also the days are getting warmer so it could just be that he is getting hotter quicker and that it takes longer to cool down. I guess it depends on what you would consider 'excessive'

Out the front or side of his mouth - ummmm now your asking....hmmm..... I am pretty sure its the front but sometimes I have seen him running with it flopping out the side of his mouth so now I am confused.

Almost certain it is out the front when he is panting. Is this good or bad?

Just if the tongue was hanging out the site it's usually a happy worn out kinda thing, where as out the front is as normal as anything else.

Personally i'd not be too concerned...just make sure he's getting enough water. But i haven't seen him pant etc. However as with all things...if you are concerned have a chat to your vet...even just make a phone call and get their opinion...they'll let you know if you should go in or not.

Just for some dogs the tongue hanging out hte side of the mouth is a 'grin/or laughter' as much as anything else.

It's hard to say what is excessive or not without seeing it...but i still say...if you are worried call and chat to your vet..if nothing else you get peace of mind.

Tex gets very hot very quickly in hotter weather and pants excessively.

Mind you - he is like trying to slow down a frieght train - you can see the reason why he has gotten so worked up.

But I have to watch him like a hawk!

He usually looks like he is having trouble cooling down and he makes a chuckling noise with the panting and will occasionally vomit. His mouth will be very red too.

Don't know if that helps but that is the reaction Boofer gets when he overheats.

If it is when he is at the park, I figure if he was to tired he would sit and rest, but never does so this is why I don't think it is because of to much exercise!

Don't figure that!

Tex doesn't stop even when he is about to have a heart attack. I actually have to stop him.

He would just keep going if I didn't.

I know when he starts to look for shade - it is game over too.

Thanks KitKat - just wanted to get an idea if it was a normal thing for dogs to pant a fair bit after exercise.

I understand it would be hard for anyone to give me a real idea without seeing it, so I might just wait a few more days and see what happens. If I don't feel any better I might just ask the vet.

I am not overally concerned as he doesn't seem to be struggling for breath or anything, just panting, panting, panting! :kissbetter:

Thanks Ci - Bear doesn't ever seem to be struggling for breath or make funny noises or big gaps or vomit or anything like that, just takes a good 15 mins to calm down.

Just lots of little panting breathes with his belly going like crazy!

It is sounding more and more like it is very normal now :kissbetter:

I would say so.

It is usually very obvious when they have overcooked! They look like they are struggling!

Just keep an eye on him when he starts to get tired and make him slow down before he gets to the struggling stage

Edited by Ci

Alibear some tounge hanging out photos for you to compare.

http://lukrowi.pl/galeria/index.php?p=2&id...re=3535#section

http://lukrowi.pl/galeria/index.php?p=2&id...re=6178#section

http://lukrowi.pl/galeria/index.php?p=2&id...re=6872#section

This is after a big run - most likely 30 minutes after the run... I put a wet cold towel on him as he couldnt cool down - but it was in summer on a very hot day.

http://lukrowi.pl/galeria/index.php?p=2&id...re=4462#section

All of those were taken when the dog was really tired and run a lot for a considerable amount of time.

Mine will be breathing extremly hard to the extend that he almost coughs, or makes a simmilar type of a tone. That is a sign that this is perhaps a bit too much.

but daily he runs and pants and breathes heavily.

I worry more about his joints more than about the breath. He seems to be hurting next day after an overexcercise day.

I hope that helps

Thanks for those pics Myszka!

I know you were cooling him down, but how cute is that towel on the head pic!

Pretty sure he just looks like the other pics with his tounge out the front.

Mine will be breathing extremly hard to the extend that he almost coughs, or makes a simmilar type of a tone. That is a sign that this is perhaps a bit too much

He isn't getting to this point, nor does he seem exhauseted in anyway. He still walks around etc. I also haven't noticed any kind of "hurting" signs the next day etc so I think I am just a big worry wart as usual!

I can be under a doona and blanket and still shivering and mine will be panting....each dog is different and regulate themselves differently. If there are no signs of distress in the dog (ie falling over, fitting etc) then I wouldn't be too concerned.