Help!

Teebs

I was just watching TV with the dogs, both of them were asleep on the lounge next to me, nothing different to what i have been doing for the last 2 years with Atlas.

I went to move and he woke up and Attacked me :thumbsup:

He grabbed my hand, he only broke the skin on one finger, but already i can see bursing all over it and can hardly move it.

This is the 2nd time it has happened, the first was yesterday, he was asleep again and i went to do something and he woke and grabbed me.

I am sitting here in tears ;)

Last week at obedience a dog attacked him and he went to fight back.

Up untill this point i have NEVER EVER seen him get mad at anything.

Can someone give me some advice?

Should i get him a Vet Check to make sure everything is ok?

I have heard of Sudden onset aggression,, but can it happen when he is 2 years old?

Please help, this is so unlike my boy!!

ETA: He is acting normal now, it was just the second he woke up he snapped, now its like nothing happened

Edited by Terrorbull

I am sitting here in tears :thumbsup:

Last week at obedience a dog attacked him and he went to fight back.

Up untill this point i have NEVER EVER seen him get mad at anything.

Can someone give me some advice?

Should i get him a Vet Check to make sure everything is ok

I think it would be a good idea to get a vet to check him and make sure there is no underlying reason for this behaviour.

I would not let him or the other dog sit or sleep anywhere that you sit, sleep. I would get them both on the floor on their own beds to help let them know their place in the pecking order. Don't feel mean, they are lucky to be allowed to come inside so just set some new rules.

Some dogs do get snappy when they are asleep "let sleeping dogs lye" but if this keeps up it will spoil your relationship with your dog.

I am sorry that you are sad and hope it all works out for you.

I was just watching TV with the dogs, both of them were asleep on the lounge next to me, nothing different to what i have been doing for the last 2 years with Atlas.

I went to move and he woke up and Attacked me :thumbsup:

This happened to me once with my very soft and gentle 5yo Kelpie male. He was asleep, I moved and he snapped.....I must admit he looked more shocked than I did, actually he looked terrified. IT only happened once and has never happened again but if it happened twice in a short time I would be concerned.

I would definitely change your lounging and sleeping arrangements so you dogs are not getting any conflicting messages about pack order. Keeping them lower than you helps ensure they understand the pack order.

Make sure they each have a space they can go to and stay when you tell them to. I like to get all my dogs on a 30min to 1 hour drop on there matt (or where ever I tell 'em) every day.

A trip to the vet wouldn't be a bad idea.

Dave.

awww hugs terrorbull, its really hard and scary when things like this happen.

My son did this once with Kahn but he snuggled up too quick to Kahn who was sound asleep, my son squashed him accidentally and frightened him into awake mode. He snapped at my son, well i guess it wasn't a growl or snap or snarl or anthing, it was like a big warning woof as he frightened him, and pinched his skin when he squashed him. My son didn't mean too, but did get a shock.

It never happened again either.

I agree with the others, no more couch for the doggies. On the floor, so they remember that you're the boss. A vet check is good just to make sure there isn't a physical problem. When you say its when you move, do you mean you are getting up in a hurry? or just like moving your body or something?

I was always taught never to startle a dog if they are asleep. If you want their attention or need to move, call them gently first to wake them, so they aren't startled. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I'd also not let them up on the bed either if they sleep on your bed, just for the meantime to help reinforce your position

good luck and try not to stress too much. Atlas will be picking up on that too.

Have a cuppa and take a deep breath

Might he just have been very deeply asleep and got a fright when you moved and woke him up? I woke one of my big dogs up by accident once, and he had obviously been very sound asleep, he sprang up snarling and obviously really startled. I wasn't close enough for a bite, but might have got one if he'd been closer to me rather than on his bed.

But at two, Atlas might also be starting to feel a bit more "adult" and seeing if he can shift the goal posts a bit. It has occurred to me lately with one of my dogs, that because he's always been really obedient and easy-going, that I've let him get away with things the other dogs haven't got away with. What has happened is that I've had some very subtle signs of him attempting to change to rules for his benefit, since from his point of view I've dropped the ball. So now he's back to toeing the line along with everyone else and no special privileges for being good, which was my mistake.

Dogs are dogs, they don't think, "hey, I don't have to do it because I'm a good dog", they think, "hey, I don't have to do it because she's a weak leader, maybe it's time to make my bid for world dominance! Bwahahahaha."

I don't know that I believe in "sudden onset aggression" without a physical cause, I think that if a dog thinks it can run things, or has to run things, because it's human isn't taking the leadership role, the signs will be there, but subtle, and the bite might have been the most obvious in a line of small things.

With my big dog, the signs were really small, like sitting for being fed, but only for a few seconds, and then standing straight up, minor stuff like that.

Certainly get a vet check, but reassess your own position. Have a look for some information about the "nothing in life is free" program on the web, that can be really helpful.

And ice your hand ... dogs bites exert a lot of pressure and the bruising can be very painful.

Leila did the exact same thing to me the other night for the first time, I took it as my fault, she was fast asleep and I walked past and patted her head and I htink I gave her a bit of a fright, not that I feel it's acceptable behaviour.

After you see the vet, you may want to do some additional training with pooch such as no sleeping on the sofa for a while, if aggression is starting to arise you might want to meet with a behaviourist so you can knock it on the head pretty fast.

Thanks everyone.

It wasnt a sudden movement, i was just moving a little bit, nothing that would scare him (well, maybe it did?)

The ver check will be done tomorrow, i went to lift him onto a bench today and he winced a bit, so i am hoping that is what is wrong with him

One question - I am going to be keeping them off the lounge and bed - But they ofen sleep on an old futon in the computer room - I dont use it ( :thumbsup: Stinks of dog!)

Should i get them off that for a while as well? Or is it ok to let them have it?

Thanks again

cin

One question - I am going to be keeping them off the lounge and bed - But they ofen sleep on an old futon in the computer room - I dont use it ( :thumbsup: Stinks of dog!)

Should i get them off that for a while as well? Or is it ok to let them have it?

Thanks again

cin

I think that if it is strictly dog only Futon that would be OK

How is your hand?

Be really carefull of him when he is asleep, and if he is acting bossy turf him outside until he has an attitude adjustment.

We had lots of rain last night and it woke me up, that is when i looked on DOL and saw your post. I couldn't get back to sleep worrying about you so i hope your OK.

Lisa

thanks. I was pretty worried as well

He seems ok, just had a go at Kaos (the pup) but i dont think that is anything serious, he does it when she annoys him (and she annoys EVERYONE - so i understand how he is feeling!!)

First things first, vet trip tomorrow afternoon then see what is going on

He seems ok, just had a go at Kaos (the pup) but i dont think that is anything serious, he does it when she annoys him (and she annoys EVERYONE - so i understand how he is feeling!!)

First things first, vet trip tomorrow afternoon then see what is going on

You have new pup?????????

How old - obviously young enough to annoying the 2 year old.

Your 2 year old might have thought you were the pup annoying him again. They (the older dog) get a little defensive and edgey when a newer pup is on board. This was the same in my case.

Dave

What a day!

Not only have i been worried about Altas, ialso had Kaos up all night pooping blood

Update on both of them : Vet found Nothing, she said it was prob more to do with me scaring him/and being attacked the other week.

He is also trying to push his limits with me (he just turned 2)

I have had a chat to the breeder and the vet and he is booked in for tomorrow week to get desexed.

Kaos is ok, vet thought over the phone it sounded like parvo. Its not, some bug that puppies get (no idea of the name, dad rushed her to the vet this morning while i was at work) She is on a bland diet for a few days, on some meds and should be ok in a few days

Thanks for the advice - I am still not going to let them on the bed or lounge and make sure he knows i am boss.

Cin

Hi, my name is Alex, I’m training already for a long time dogs now (25years). When dogs are a sleep this things happens, it can be that the experience with the other dog course this. Even when the dog is put a sleep by the vet it is possible that he will bite you. This happened to me a year ago. The vet and me where making an x-ray from a GSD and the dog was good sleeping. I had he head in my hands and he came up bite and sleep again. I like to ask you something. Is your dog reacting like an alpha dog if you put pressure on him? Do you have children at home? If yes how old are they? Let me know I will help you out.

Greetings

Alex

banner.jpg