Quick "close" Recalls

Guest Tess32

Does anyone have any tips on how to get quick/enthusiastic recalls when the dog is close to you?

Toys and better food so far have not made any difference.

Nat

are we talking a formal recall. i found Skye just ambled in at walking pace regardless of bribes. Improvement came once i taught her the command 'run' and would use it once she was on her way. Have phased it out, and now generally she bounces up to me.

Yep formal.

The only way I get a quickish recall is if I turn away, which obviously can't be used in the ring :)

Reilly walks forward like he's on a death march :rolleyes:

Nat

You should see my girl today - bright sunny day and she has a serious case of Mondayitis! OH has come home early and taken her to the park. Hopefully they have a good play because she wasnt in any particular hurry to do anything with me today :rolleyes: (this included a very slow motion come when called!!!!)

So I am eager to read the suggestions (having said that she might be keener tomorrow LOL)

Collie-itis combined with mondayitis....could be bad :rolleyes:

I do get it - it's not very fun coming when you're not far away, but still. I think it's strange having a dog who will recall from far away and then not want to come when he's 6 feet away!

Actually I've just answered my own question - I could maybe start just reinforcing quick recalls. But then, everyone says recalls should always be rewarded. Bloody hell, heh.

Nat

Reilly walks forward like he's on a death march  :rolleyes:

:)

and doesn't that just look GREAT in the obedience ring.

Does he get "hyped up" at other times, e.g. with heelwork?

Yep...heeling makes him quite happy and bouncy most of the time. He's easy to hype up, but he still goes slow on close recalls! He loves targetting probably the most.

Nat

Maybe try doing some close recalls while you're in the middle of heelwork? Do some heeling and then when he's still "bouncy", leave him in a wait and then do a short recall, then continue with heelwork? Or maybe you've already tried that!

Contrary little buggers, aren't they?

Julie

well OH just returned with Rosie - said she did not want to run around AT ALL, just sniffed around and did several wees (both things are very out of character for her). Hmmmm I will keep an eye on her in case she is coming into season! Do bitches get lethargic before they come into season?

I must admit she had a big day yesterday, visiting several places/homes, over enthusiastic kids etc etc.

I have to laugh about the Reilly death march thing - I can totally relate to that!

Spikey, I'll try anything...ta :)

I can't figure him out sometimes. He'll do one very very slow recall, and then I let him go sniff, and do another, and he bolts over and slides into a sit!

I'm quite sure he's an alien from another planet sometimes.

Nat

OK "Reilly" and "Rosie" - this is how I teach dogs to do quick recalls( believe me it works, I got one Collie who used to dred doing a recall for his owner, to go really fast)

First of all you need two people( hang on, and I will explain why)-

Have your friend/OH o whoever else you can can hold onto your dog's collar whilst the dog is in the SIT position. make sure they hold on tight to the collar.

Give the WAIT command to your dog and RUN away from your dog CALLING his/her name quite a few times and look at your dog.

Get the other person to stir your dog up by saying something like" look Reilly, where's Mum gone) and make sure they use a hyped up voice. When the dog is just about busting to run to you, CALL your dog( make sure you friend let's go quickly) and you will see how fast the dog runs to you.

Now DON'T make your dog SIT at this stage. the idea is to get a quick RECALL and then when you have mastered that then, and only then, you can add the Sit in front bit.

Try and and see how you go.

We learnt this technique many moons ago at a Club where they used to have a Fastest Recall competiton.

Colleen

My 4 1/2 year old GSD Tiger is very sensitive and if told off for something during training takes ages to get over it. When I return from a down stay, she'll still put her ears down and look away because when we first started her training about a year ago, the instructer growled at her when she was about to get up from a down stay!

Anyway, during some training last week for the trial yesterday she came in for a recall, sat and then got up to return and I grabbed her collar as she moved and said NO! It was too much and from then on, the first time I call her, no matter how happy she is before hand she'll just sit there. If I call again, she'll come in. Saying Tiger......Come! works sometimes and not others. She hears me because her ears stick up but she won't move. We were sitting on a really good score in the trial yesterday, had only lost 9 points all up and she didn't come, and then did the group stays perfectly :) In the first trial, we didn't do so well, and for the recall, same thing but because we weren't near a pass anyway I jumped around and waved my arms without saying anything else and she did come in, but went straight around.

Also, how to stop her going straigh back around to heel. I can't tell her off because she falls apart, I've tried looking at her, not looking at her, feeding her only on the sit and not on the return. The only thing that works if I say 'wait' to her, which you can't do in the ring. I think I've made too much fuss of her when the whole recall is done well, maybe she thinks I'm praising her on her return?

Any advice appreciated and thanks for letting me share Nat.

But its much easier to 'flick' your hair and you look so much more :rofl: when you stroll....... I mean, what movie star dog wants to be seen dead running flat out with tongue hanging out the side of his mouth? Geez Nat, I cant believe I have to explain everything to you..... :) :rolleyes:

dog wants to be seen dead running flat out with tongue hanging out the side of his mouth?

Ooooiii - hope youre not picking on Rosie, the kangaroo x crocodile, tongue hanging out a foot etc etc. Then again, she doesnt have much decorum and doesnt care what people think as long as shes having a good time!

Edited to add: Thanks Colleen - OH and I will try that with her. I must admit she seems to enjoy "working" - I think she is just having a lazy day here and there.

Edited by chezzyr

He should have been more careful then, as I have photographic evidence of some Reilly tongue lolling :rolleyes:

ISH - maybe go back to basics and start reinforcing every link in the recall so she knows every intemediate step is *required* and not just the final product/finish that gets rewarded.

IR - Ta....I used to do that when we were training the recall when he was young, so maybe he needs a refresher on how to be fast :)

Nat

Ha! I would bother to respond to Hedds, but as she has a dog that launched himself into the air at me yesterday expecting to be caught, I reckon she's got her fair share of doggie probs :) :rolleyes: :rofl::rofl:

Nat

so maybe he needs a refresher on how to be fast :rolleyes:

Nat

Fair suck of the sav, Nat. He CANT be fast with that butt of his. He is trying his best. Maybe he is dancing on the inside but getting nowhere fast coz of: butt and lots of HAIR :)