Quick "close" Recalls

Guest Tess32

Nat .... food for thought - pay real close attention to your body language differences in the "distance" recall, compared to the "close" recall. Is there any? If so, could this be blocking your dog's drive to come quickly (to a degree)?

Good point Erny

Do you uswe your ring body language for all recalls or only the ones where the dog is sitting and waiting.

One way to get fast recalls is to start with a game of toy foods or toytoys and then call of one piece of food the two food gets them moving when the dog comes throw food between your legs for all fronts leave worry about things like crooked sits alone. using two food gets the dog in a rhythm and works very well also do longer sit and leave the dog sometimes twent sometimes thity fifty or ten paces and of course the old run away works well

yb

I started using two toys and food years ago when i was training a very hypo unattentive gsp it really kept her focussed and keen to work as she loved having the oppurtunity to run and chase its quite simple throw a piece of food then as sson as the dog gets it say their name and toss a piece in the oppoisite direction the idea us to get a rhythm of the dog spinning back to go after the next bit of food or of course a toy then now and again you call the dog to you be sure to use food the dog can see or they waste time sniffing it out and start with just a couple of goes and build from there

thats the simple explanation of it dont throw to far to start its also a great game with puppies in the lounge and it teaches a really good spin back for the retrieve

yb

Well, I used what I thought would work - opposition reflex is magic! Getting someone to hold him while I tease him and then call him works *great*. Very fast recall, skids into sit, lots of focus.

Also noticed that when I call him on the lead (as in class) I lean forward LOTS.

Nat