Hip Dysplasia

Teebs

Well, the litte shit!!

I took her to the vet today and she acted like nothing was wrong :mad

Vet said it could be part of her tummy bug she had, but also thinks it could be OCD?

I have to get a video of her limping next time she does it and take it in to him

I am feeling much better

Thanks

Cin

My advice. Do not even give OCD a second thought until you have to and that may NEVER happen. It is NOT common in Staffords. Muscle strains, cruciate ligaments etc are but only because of their exuberance and the natural weight that they carry.

If she is acting normally and moving ok, then that is all you should be concerned about.

Honestly, this is why I suggested you stay away from the vet, they've removed one concern and given you a second in the first one's place! :mad

I found out my dog had HD when he was two, he's now five and managing OK. Just wanted to get this in first - it is not necessarily as earth shattering a disease as we think at first - not good but can be managed. He was looking at his hip and growling at it, so I took him to the Vet and had him x-rayed. One hip is quite bad and the other reasonable. I didn't have him hip scored so don't have any numbers to give you. In hindsight he was never a good jumper - even though he did get a couple of passes at Agility. So I think there was always a problem but dogs will always try to give you their best. I think you should take him to the Vet as soon as possible. The sooner you start treatment the better - AND it might not be this and you can set your mind at rest!

That is why hips are scored and it isn't just a "blanket" diagnosis of "yes it has" or "no it hasn't"

As I said in my initial response, there are dogs with dysplasia which are sometimes never diagnosed. Others which are diagnosed only because they are xrayed and often NOT for that particular reason.

Some are very severe and require immediate veterinary attention...it really just depends upon the severity of the problem and the dog concerned.

I have a cavalier with HD and she is only 2.The only reason I found out she had it was I thought she had a sore back and xrays were taken. Her hips are pretty bad but she is managing well now.I too thought it was the end of her enjoyment of life but I was wrong. I took her to a pyhsio and we now do exercises every day, she has acupuncture and is on every supplement possible.Also a series of Cartrophen injections as arthritis was present. She has to be kept lean, which is the biggest issue, especially with a cavalier :mad

Looking back, and hindsight is a wonderful thing, although she always wanted to go for a walk she tired easily, and she had the wobbly hip walk, and she also has a bunny hop when she runs.

But if i hadn't had the x rays taken I probably would never have known until it was too late to do anything about it