Hip Dysplasia

Teebs

They really can vary. Some dogs just start looking sore. Some start to limp. Some won't lay in a position that they used to. Some do funny things with their back legs when they are moving. Some get grumpy if any pressure is applied to their back end (pain reaction). And some don't ever have any symptoms at all and the only way it is discovered is by xray.

How come?

Paniced mum (me)

Kaos has been walking around, and will all of a suddon start SCREAMING and limping on both her back legs.

Dad asked the vet about it when she went yesterday and he had a really good feel and poked and everything and said there was nothing wrong

It is this bug that is causing her to limp and scream.

I dont know if i should get her in for Xrays (like i can afford it :cry: ) or wait for a bit to see if it is just the bug...

Get her to a chiropractor before you start panicking. Or even a good greyhound guy if you don't have access to a muscle man.

If she won't play with Atlas, there is always the distinct possibility that she's BEEN hurt playing and blames Atlas for her ouchies.

Ok, i will see what i can do....

I dont think they had a fight, my neighbour usually tells me if anything happens (big stickybeak) and i keep an eye on them at home

Ok, do you k now anyone around orange i can see?

Or should i go and just get xrays?

It doesn't have to be a fight...just a good romp and a turn the wrong way can do some damage.

I'd try to find a muscle guy first, they're a lot cheaper than xrays. I don't know of any personally but I can ask around and find out if nobody here has any ideas.

My 5 year old GSD has severe hip dysplasia and was diagnosed about 18 months ago.

At first she seemed depressed, was panting at odd times and licking her paws. Within about a week she was showing what we thought were signs of abdominal pain (tucked up apperance and resented any kind of abdominal palpation). She also didnt want to jump on the lounge or in the car anymore.

She has never shown any distinct signs of lameness although if you look really closely she drags her hind toes when she walks.

At the vets they did a full work up, including felxing and extending her hips, where she showed no pain response. So we did blood tests and cultured urine for Aspergillus. She was diagnosed and treated for a urinary tract infection, which was not the wrong diagnosis as we had a culture done, but the HD was missed. Once her UTI had cleared up, the signs were still there so I requested x-rays were done and her hips were awful.

HD can show some weird signs so my suggestions would be if you have an at risk breed (ie large) get hips xrays done regardless. Better to be safe than sorry.

I am saving my pennies for my GSD's hip replacements....

She is a Staffy - Think i should give the breeder a call?

she doenst have a crate at the moment, it is outside soaking after her big pooping exercise, she is just laying out where it is kept.

It is so not her

She is now in Ats Crate, she never goes in there and he never lets her

I m going to cry :cry: :D

Sorry guys, i am just going through a really bad patch at the moment, these pets being sick it just adding to my worries.

One of the guys asked me at work today what would i be like if i had children if i get this worried about my dogs

I dont want to find out :D

Well, if you're like me, you stress yourself stupid.

The best thing about sick kids though is that they can usually at least tell you where they hurt. Even when they can't speak, they still have their ways and means.

Don't ever apologise or feel bad for caring...we'd think less of you if you DIDN'T!!!

Hugs my friend.... :cry:

Terrorbull, I know how you feel. My furkids are my "kids"(don't have the human variety, never really wanted to after helping rear my nephew and niece for many years).

I lost my 9mth old puppy to severe HD and other illnesses in July 04 and then my only Collie I had left( my very first Australian Champion) was diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease in April this year and we were unable to overcome it so we lost her in July at just under 8yrs." Maggie " is in my avatar.

(2003 I lost my 14yo Collie and my Mum) :cry:

It is okay to cry, we are all dog lovers and empathise with you.

I agree , though, the only way to know is she has HD is to have her x-rayed. If money is an issue, most Vets will let you pay it off. Due to all the major health issues we have had in the past year or so and only bein on a Carer's Pension my Vet lets me pay off the account, as long as I pay something each fortnight he is happy.

Dont worry too much! might be an inflamed nerve or tendon from some twisting or rough play...it does really hurt sometimes....I'd go to a muscle or chiro guy before vet these days with things like that...all you seem to end up with at the vet is a huge bill and anti inflam's, however they do help.

BTW if you have a choice, ask for Previcox...its great.