Chicken Carcass

sus

There have been some good prices mentioned in this thread, I've been paying way more for my chicken carcasses. Wondering what other people in Brisbane have found - where is the cheapest place for chicken carcasses in this town?

Also a couple of people have mentioned "Lennards", I'm not familiar with them, is it a store or a brand? Anybody know if it's available in Brisbane? (I looked in whitepages online, but didn't find anything)

TIA

There must be a Leonards (sp?) (yes it is a store - a chicken outlet usually found in shopping malls) in Qld as I have a friend on the Sunshine Coast who buys from them. She was bragging to me that her partner gets a 10kg box from them for $5 (the cheapest I get from my supplier at the moment is $8). The idea is to just look up poultry suppliers in the yellow pages and call around to ask for prices. It will always be cheaper for bulk and the standard 'unit' is a 10kg box.

Edited by espinay2

It's funny, I just can't bring myself to feed a carcass. They get chicken necks, and sometimes I stand and stare at the carcass in the shop and even pick a tray up... then don't bother.

I was like that for a long time Meriment then one day I took the plunge and bought them and gave them to the dogs. No problems and the dogs love them :thumbsup:

anyone have anywhere cheap in sydney to buy bulk - im paying $1 for 3 ive no idea how many kgs that is prob not many! is that about right?? its from leonards - hmm wish i could buy more at a time but they come in bags and i cant carry too much more than 3 bags!!

altho i have a nice new freezer in my garage esp for his bones ready and waiting for its first use!!

Hey all.

We have 4 dogs...

2 Staffy X and

2 little fluff balls.

Chicken carcasses we usually just give them whole aswell... Couldnt be bothered cutting and im always worried that they might choke.. I have had one cut up before and my Staffy got a bone caught sideways in his mouth and couldnt get it out so i had to intervene. Since then i havent cut them up..

Ciao :cry:

Ive never fed a chicken carcus,only necks,and sheep backs,i do have concerns about the sharp little needle bones on the side of the thigh ect,maby its unfounded no doubt they dissolve easly in the gut but its the swallowing and getting stuck in the side of the throat that i worry about,same with feeding raw whole fish (big ones,not little sardines ect).

Hi Chez,

My dogs get either wings and necks or chicken frames every morning and they never get constipated. Sometimes they will eat the whole knuckle off a marrow bone and then they poo pure white calcium, but they don't get them very often. I have sometimes found that older dogs (10+) can get constipated when fed a lot of bone, but I've never had a problem with younger dogs.

BTW the cheapest place for frames is the butcher just outside the mall in Mooroolbark, he also has wings for $1.99kg :D

How much are the frames are M'bark? Other than wings, does he have any other good lower priced meat?

I usually get whole boiling chickens for $2.20/kg at Box Hill though.

The Lenards ones are pretty reasonable at 3 carcasses for $1. The good thing about them is that Lenards leave a lot more of the good stuff on as well! My dogs also love their chicken mince.

I think Porky's in Cranbourne is one of the cheapest places to get chicken necks around SE Melbourne (depends on how much you buy). I'm a lazy sod and find their necks really fatty, so you have to chop some of the fat off them, so i pay a little extra and buy necks from the local poultry shop for $1.50 kg

• 3 weeks later...

I feed them to mine whole and usually give 5 each to my bigger dogs and 3 to the small one and I cut them in half for her.

At the moment while I am in Adelaide I am paying $3.00 for a 12Kilo box of Chicken frames which I cut in half for my 12 week old Pup. Tonymc

Thats the same as I pay Tony cheap as chips but Im not saying where I get mine from.Call me selfish but over the years have told many people where I got pet food from and sooner or later it gets dearer or in shorter supply because the more people you tell the more go there.

I have always fed whole carcases to my Boxers, even to my old ones with hardly any teeth.... 2 at night

I get them from Ringal Valley Farm Chicken Farm near Bennets Green, Newcastle for $1 kg.....

Get my chicken mince frozen from Leader Pets, Budgewoi 10kg at $12

Frozen Kangaroo tails $$ savers petmart, Charmhaven at 2kg for $2.50

Sometimes coles or woolies deli's have them too...

I also feed whole fish, they luv them...

never had problem with bones..because they are raw