Very Itching Dog

Em & Taco

Hi!

Last night Buckley was licking and scratching around his feathers on his back legs and his back area. We had a look and it seems to be these little scab/flakey things with these read tiny spots that are not raised. I thoroughly checked him for fleas and couldn't find one or any flea dirt.

I have had a bit of a think and maybe the tick collar I put on him on saturday may be aggrevating him so I took it off or that maybe I didn't wash the shampoo out well enough but I am pretty thorough with that.

Is there a special antibacterial/ antifungal shampoo that I could use.

I don't think it is diet related as he has been on Eukanuba and barf now for about 4 months and no reaction b4 this?

Just because you didn't find fleas, doesn't mean one nasty sucker didn't take a bite and jump off! Buckley might be allergic to flea bites or being spring, allergic to pollens that come out now.

He could also be allergic to grains in his diet, of which Eukanuba has plenty but I don't know how long it would take for his system to react.

When did you last bath him and de-flea him?

Our tib girl's getting the spring itches that can turn into hot-spots.

Our vet recommended a couple of Polaramine (anti-histamines) per day. But you'd need to check that with your vet. They help our tib....but not the tib next door who also gets spring itches.

This time of year, I also give the tib a mini bath often to get rid of any pollens or whatever where she's in contact with the ground....rear end, paws, under tummy, chest, around face. I fill a baby bath with just enough water for her to sit it....& with the very mildest shampoo (I get one from the vet) just wash those parts.

I also add things high in Omega oils to her food for skin health....tuna in springwater, little linseed (flaxseed) oil (Melrose brand...from pharmacies, health food shops).

Em, I use Epi-Soothe Shampoo (from the vet)...just a little, even mixed with some water.

Then I add a little Fido's Fre-Itch Rinse to the rinse water.

Let's know what things work for your dog. My experience is that different things seem to work for different itchy dogs.

I actaully use the fidos everyday shampoo and it hasn't been a problem before but that could be due to what ever is making him itch has happened recently, I mean way after I bathed him last.

I will have a look at the Ech sooth and also I have heard aloveen is very good or malsab.

Em, it's not the Fido's Shampoo I use....it's the Fido's Fre-Itch Rinse.

You use the Rinse after you completely wash out whatever shampoo is in the dog's coat. In clean water, you put some of the Rinse & give the dog a final soak....& that Rinse stays on its skin, you don't wash it out. Great for anti-itching.

I've heard good things of aloveen, too (haven't used it tho'). Also Malaseb if the skin looks sore (but I use Pyohex Medicated Foam if there's any skin broken or inflammed skin).

Went to the Vet last week with Godzilla because of this.

He said he has not seen itching like this so early in the season, every second dog came in with an itch problem.

He is wondering if it is the dust flying around combined with the seed and pollen that survived owing to the fact we did not have deep frost.

The dirt bit fits as the place Godzy is really scratching is his bum area just where he sits. :D

His anal glands are ok just watch if he has a favourite spot where he sits and make sure it is not buffalo grass or something else that can irrate like dust.

We've noticed in that Keg is a bit more scratchy than Indy, but they've never had fleas and their ears are fine. Keg generally scratches behind the ears around the collar and up around his "armpit". No sign of hotspots, and feeding is fine - they both get the same food.

OH has a theory that I quite like, don't know if it's true, but reckons Keg has "tickle skin". He is much more ticklish than Indy when it comes to tummy/chest rubs - could it be as simple as this?

Anal glands... really??  Do they do this tpe of thing? :D

Yeess.. one of signs may be scratching of rear legs and inside hips... just keep that in mind!

Hope he gets better soon! :rofl:

Edited by Koza

OH has a theory that I quite like, don't know if it's true, but reckons Keg has "tickle skin". He is much more ticklish than Indy when it comes to tummy/chest rubs - could it be as simple as this?

Although I am sure that some dogs are just more ticklish than others it is worth being aware that extreme hypersensitivity combined with things such as a lot of itching is one of the indicators of an allergy....

Dan

I've heard good things of aloveen, too (haven't used it tho').

The essential difference between the two (Epi and Aloveen) is that Aloveen is a superfine colloidal oatmeal suspension. This means the oatmeal has larger surface area than other oatmeal products (e.g. products you can see the chunks of oatmeal) and therefore absorbs many more allergens.

It also contains aloe vera which has natural anti inflammatory properties. Aloveen is also registered with the APVMA as an anti itch product (unlike many of the other oatmeal products) so has therefore gone through rigorous testing to prove it does work as an anti itch and soothing product.

I've used the Epi before with no problems though, I was just curious about the 'bits' that get left behind which is why I looked in to it. :thumbsup:

Just a bit of an update. :)

I went to the petshop last night and explained what symptons Buckley was having. They recommened that I buy "malsab" as it hepls with any bacteria and micro organisms that may be on him.

I washed him and Taco and all of their bedding as per the instructions (in between toes, around the mouth etc and left it on for 10 mins and then rinsed) and last night he was itch free.

HOWEVER :thumbsup: this morning in the daylight I watched where and what Buckley did. He dragged himself along the grass which I think is Buffalo grass and then proceeded to stracth so I am taking a woid guess here and maybe the grass is the colprut!!!!!!!!

I am going to call my vet this morning and arrange for a consult and see what she recommends aswell.

Thanks guys!!!!!!

HOWEVER :thumbsup: this morning in the daylight I watched where and what Buckley did. He dragged himself along the grass which I think is Buffalo grass and then proceeded to stracth so I am taking a woid guess here and maybe the grass is the colprut!!!!!!!!

Do you mean he 'scooted' along the ground or did he do a "harvey" comando crawl?