Raw Mince

rdr71

We picked up our new pup today! 8 week old golden retriever..

The breeder has been feeding her supercoat puppy dry food with some raw mince mixed in...at a ratio of 3 parts supercoat, 1 part mince.

I have read in many places that raw meat is the way to go....but my husband's brother says that raw meat can have stuf fin it that can be a health risk to the pup, and therefore our kids, so we shouldnt feed her raw meat.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Thanks

Ruth

Is he worried about hydatids? These used to be a problem in pet grade mince years ago, and only from dodgy sources, but not these days.

Can't think of anything else that can affect kids. The preservatives or blue food dyes found in pet mince certainly don't affect kids unless they actually eat it!

Raw meat is fine as long as it is not the basis of the diet. As an extra it's a great way to get pups to eat, or as part of a balanced BARF diet.

he's probably talking about preservatives and the fat content of the meat. Butchers tend to use the fattier offcuts and parts to make the mince (thats why when you fry it you end up with so much less then when you started with) Simply ask your butcher what exactly is the fat content (%) and if they add any artificial preservatives.

Maybe go for chicken necks instead. It will help keep the pups teeth clean and also get it into the habit of munching on bones and natural chew things. Cheaper too! Freeze a couple at a time in freezer bags and defrost when you need them.

I always figured it was best to feed the pup what the breeder had been feeding it. And we did so until Ax was 6 months. An important point for pups is that if you introduce a new food, introduce it gradually so as to avoid upset tummies.

I also feed some raw mince. We are lucky in that we have a butcher that often sells human grade mince for around $3.50 a kilo. Unfortunately some of the pet mince around almost makes me hurl!! Lenards do a good chicken mince for around $1 a bag i think - their carcasses are also great! (i personally wouldn't feed a whole carcass to an 8 week old puppy - my girl is 12 weeks and i gave her a whole one the other day and i don't think she handled it really well).

Hi Jenny

We have called her Sasha. ANd funnily enough she already looks like a Sasha!!!

I agree with you on the pet mince, I could never give that to my dog. I was actually a sctrict vegetarian for about 13 yrs , now i eat chicken and seafood, but the things they put in there is pretty yuck. Sasha is starting off with the good stuff - I had some in the freezer!!!

Ruth

The only thing to worry about with raw meat is how fresh it is. Chicken especially goes off very quickly - it may smell fine but have nasty bacteria, as we discovered with a mob of sick puppies!

Make sure the meat goes straight from the butcher to a cool bag to the fridge.

Boiling the meat will kill any nasties, and they usually love it cooked.

This thread is interesing, I am feeding Minx (she is 13 weeks old today) raw pet mince from petschow and supercoat puppy dry food and any scraps, but she is just picking at her food (I have posted another thread about this) so should I stick it out and hope she picks up her eating :) or should I look at changing her deit?

Boiling the meast may kill any nasties but it will also leave it devoid of nutrients so there is no point.

Raw meat is fine. If it's green and/or moving on its own, obviously don't feed it but dogs have a much stronger digestive system than us hoomans and can handle eating meat that would make us sick.