Herding Was Great!

Today some of us attended one of the Herding workshops where our dogs had opportunities to herd sheep. I chose the wording carefully, because all got the opportunity and all reacted differently. :thumbsup:

The people involved in running the day were all fantastic - what a great group of people. We saw real working dogs herd sheep, We got to understand some of how dogs think and behave in terms of their drives, we got an insight into what was behind it all and put it into practise. Most of us herded sheep ourselves and some even took turns at being the dog :thumbsup:

My kelpie surprised me at how interested she was in the morning sessions and she did pretty well.....really well. In the afternoon however she lost interest but I think she was totally kazonked by then. I plan to take her again to see if she was just tired or simply not interested. I really am hoping that she is interested as I would very much like her to be able to do it regulalry. Its such a great activity, both mentally and physically, ...and gives me a good workout too.

Anyway it was also so great to meet other people from here and their absolutely beautiful dogs and I hope to see more of you in the future.

Thanks to all involved for a unique and fantastic day.

The dogs would say thanks too, but funnily enough they are fast asleep right now ;)

Edited: I'll post a link to photos when I chance to upload them. My camera is only little so not sure about the quality of the photos...hopefully I have a few good ones.

Edited by Sky

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you enjoyed it.

Our shepherds absolutely love it. We have been going to clinics in NSW since last November. They improve so much from session to session. It does tend to take it out of them at first, especially if they are young.

We love watching our dogs get so much pleasure from it. Plus they are doing well.

Hope you get as much enjoyment as we have.

Cheers

Deb

Guest Tess32

Heya,

It was great!

Reilly was the opposite though, and apart from his great first go, the other morning small yard efforts were...no go.

But in the big field he was great and definitely enough potential to continue :thumbsup:

Nat

Hey Sky, it was so nice to meet you and your totally gorgeous furkids. :thumbsup: What a day we've all had hey? Phew, I'm beat. Oh yeah, the dog is too. :thumbsup:

Nat had the day off camera duties today (about time I say) so pics were left up to me. I know you're all moaning right now, but bad luck :D . Sooo, here is the gorgeous Reilly, who went into the yard this morning having never seen a sheep in his life. It took about 30 seconds for him to turn into a sheepdog! He was a total star. ;)

Here he is learning the drill....

post-9-1128158564.jpg

i wanna go i wanna go!!!!

lol i hadto placate hubby by looking at cars and going for test drives but my time will come!!!! Just have to drag Cloverfchd with me one day to visit David (herding guy) :thumbsup:

lol but be aware it is very addictive I have been driving 120km each week for our lessons :thumbsup:

Out in the big paddock, with lots of sheepies. The beautiful and oh so clever Rosie shows Reilly the ropes. (geez, it was worth the trip for me just to see this dog and Davids dog Scout work. Fantastic *sigh*)

post-9-1128158985.jpg

Edited by Hedds

Guest Tess32

Yep. Lets not mention Eb's effort though :thumbsup:

(which was..."sheep, huh? No no, must go lie down now and get cuddles instead")

Nat

Ok, here are Banjo's pics. Banjo has seen sheep before of course, at Rozzies, so they didnt really excite him that much to start with........

"Wha? You mean you want me to do something with these smelly old things?" :thumbsup:

post-9-1128162771.jpg

David got him switched on though. He has a real nack for reading the dogs and giving them just the right amount of encouragement to get even a really quiet dog like Banjie to have a go. It didnt take long for David to 'create' this.......

post-9-1128163191.jpg