Pet Obedience Trainer Course

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't know what the cost of the course is at the moment, I should because I see them all the time but I don't.

However, if you call Julija at the NDTF, she will answer any questions you might have.

To answer your question about what kind of people do the course, all types. Professional, non profit, councils rangers and just normal every day people who want to learn.

There's nothing wrong with training dogs for financial gain either. Some people, like myself and others on this list have invested 10's of thousands of dollars on their education and setup to benefit people in need.

There's nothing wrong with training dogs for financial gain either. Some people, like myself and others on this list have invested 10's of thousands of dollars on their education and setup to benefit people in need.

Of course there isn't. I did not for a second mean to belittle anyone whatever their employment is.

I have not attended any set courses, but trust me I have spent lots of $$ travelling overseas trying to learn.

Thanks Mel.

Good to know. Just in case I ever want to s....st....stu......stud........study again.

I thought my days of wanting to do so were well past.

You're welcome...

A friend of mine completed the course last year, and was *already* a Dog Trainer having done a similar, but non-accredited course earlier. She thoroughly enjoyed it, and from what I have read of her manuals it looks very well-rounded. She is not working with them at the moment either (too busy with kids) but feels confident enough to do private lessons.

Mel.

Hi lablover,

I didn't feel that you were trying to belittle anyone either. When I was involved with Rotty club training some of the instructor used to have a bee in their bonnet about professional trainers.

The definition of a professional is as follows

A person who practices an occupation involving high standards of intellectual knowledge after successfully completing the required education and training.

I had a trainer once at a local obedience centre, (non profit) who said to me, "I'm not here for you! I'm here because I want to be here!" and it was as demeaning as it sounds.

Anyway back on topic. I think StaffordsRule may be right but speak to Julija and she wil clear everything up for you and she won't bite either :rofl:

Thanks Herr Rottweiler.

I have a little distrust of some training organisations as a few contacts, have certificates are not very good dog people. Years ago I also telephoned for advice regarding a training problem. One US president of the club was visiting so came to observe too.

They asked me some questions and off to the paddocks we went. I noticed them talking together from a distance and thought, good O, they will have some great advice. After an hour or two they left saying they would get back in contact with me. I never heard from them again. They did not send me a bill either.

You know, I might just give them a ring on Monday, I am very interested in their gundog work of course.

Hey are you still doing some Retrieving practice?

I'm interested in starting with my Toller, he's retrieving to hand now.

Just gotta go get my firearms licence...??? :rofl:

ETA: Am happy to put you onto my friend if you want some objective feedback about the NDTF course...she is happy to talk to anyone about it.

Mel.

Edited by StaffordsRule

Like every day, LOL.

Join us!!!

Remember it is life changing and a certain mad glow occurs at the oddest times.

Yeah well we are too young to do agility, so we thought we might find something else to get addicted to in the meantime. LOL Also sister from the same litter has her Junior Hunt title over in the US, and is going for her WC, so we are jealous :rofl: You're in the Vic Gundog Club I assume?

Mel.

Toller - Canada/US. Their junior AKC hunt tests are cute. I wish ours were as newbie friendly. Man, their Open field trials are amazing!!!!!!!!!!

_______

Staffords rule:

I am just about to go to bed and to tell you the truth I worried about my terminology all night.

I did not mean to type "cute" I meant FAIR. I think because they have attention seekers and shots (and in field trials throwers in white), at the very least the dog have the opportunity to see the marks.

BTW, it is not necessary to have a shooters license.

Edited by Lablover

I am currently doing the Thompson Education course and I think it is a great course for beginners like me. I have looked into the NDTF but they don't have a distance education package put together yet (I live in Sydney). They are hoping to by the end of the year.

It actually supports alot of the information fed through this website and covers all types of training. The assignments / tests are pretty basic which is also good hehe.

The NDTF is by far the most recommended course though but I cannot afford to do it until it is distance education.

In saying this, the theory is easy...I just don't have the practice. I have asked to volunteer at a few places around my area but due to insurance, this has not been feasible for trainers etc. and obedience clubs seems to train with classical training or training that eliminates the drive.

I also think I day visiting K9 Force said all of what has been in my books except for quoting experiments etc.

Kristy