Does Breed Determine The Obedience Level?

We have a cav and a boston, as some of you know, and our boston Lily seems to have more obedience in some areas than the cav, Lulu. In particular in the recall.

G'day, Eddy here.

Ange, I think that maybe your Cavalier Lulu has trained you quite well.

I know of another person with a similar problem sheltie that wont come wehn hes called and they say they are an easy breed to trian . Must admit i do get tired of the easy and hard breeds My whippet was fantastic to train picked things up very quickl;y loved to play and chase so was easy to reward

The gundogs were great loved to retrive

The sheltie would rather herd things than fetch them and is a lot spookier than any other dog i have had but still is learning quickly and now has a good retrieve .. All different types of dogs from all groups and all very different to train but none were easier or harder just differrent

Think it comes down to the relationship between dog and handler.

I know one person who got UD with a dachie.

There is one person now out there trialling open with a pom.. Gee that little dog is great to watch.

There are others who have borders I have seen, and they are not too crash hot...

So no I do not think breed is the bee all and end all.. Yes certain breeds maybe easier, but it comes down to individual dog and person.

There is a huuuuuuge difference between my two dogs. Harry (gsd x pug) was toilet trained in a couple of days, sat, dropped and recalled relatively quickly. Lola (pug) I struggle to get her to sit, her recall is OK, but I can't for the life of me get her to drop or do much else. :thumbsup:

Ange, I think that maybe your Cavalier Lulu has trained you quite well.

i am certainly not about to debate that statement :rofl:

through no-one's fault but my own, i have only trained them at home. we need to get to a club and get both of them trained. i think that given my circumstances they are both doing well in minimal training, but there is much more that we expect from them and them from us, i am sure.

its just the fact that they have been given the same amounts of training, and the same subjects of training and yet have different levels of skill - hence my question originally.

i appreciate all feedback - certainly a bigger topic than i originally thought. i agree with boxagirl (and many others) i just need to find that niche that makes them want to do the deed.

ange