Book Recommendation(s)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest Im not a reader, & I dont feel that new trainers can get much out of a bnook, as they havent got the practical experience to apply the knowledge from the book to their training, having said that, I have read just about every book recommended here, & Applied Dog Behaviour would be by far the most accurate, education book I have.

Lablover have a look on the dogwise site they have the books.

Is it very heavy reading HR.....?

It does look very interesting though! Might buy it!

So you would definately recommend it HR?

Cheers

Thanks all volumes are on their site.

My husband banned me from spending any more money on books, DVDs and videos about a month ago.

I will just have to sneak this lot in and thank him afterwards (at a suitable time).

I also bought two new dog DVD's yesterday, so I will be thanking him a while. I might just say they are presents for him.

Yeeeeeeessssss, that works for me.

Don't think so YB but a phone call to Julija will tell you: 1300 664 466

The Lindsay books are excellent, but I doubt many people who are new to training would pick one up unless they are avid readers and/or reeeeeeelly keen.

Retrieving DVD's. Boring for some, but I love them. Often they repeat on what other productions I have, but if I gain one new idea I am happy. If they show something I do not agree with, that is fine, as it stimulates my thought process on why why why they think it works.

Lablover have a look on the dogwise site they have the books.

Is it very heavy reading HR.....?

It does look very interesting though! Might buy it!

So you would definately recommend it HR?

Cheers

Yes they are heavy reading but as steve and Haven pointed out, if you want to learn properly, this is the only volume to purchase.

As far as basic obedience and understanding dog behaviour (which sounds like it is really what he needs) I have found a nice little basic book called The Dog Whisperer really helpful. Not so much for the actual training part although it does go through this but more for understanding better ways to train than the smack approach and why these methods work. I have started using this method on Sascha and I saw a difference in the way she responded within a day or two.

Ok will give her a call they are expensive so will have to wait till i save some bickies

I know what you mean about starting out im am very careful which books i lend out to people as i find some can be too overwhelming ofr them ALtely i have started handing out short articles to people rather than books the articles cover the keypoints we have spoken about and then if they want more i reccomend some books. They love the articles i have written them in plain enh\glish using lots of analogys to explain things.

The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell is a great book. She's been a breeder and shower for years and really has some insight into how to make them respond by reacting a way they understand. Has done wonders for my dog. For instance like ignoring them when seeking attention. If I've tried to reprimand, it's still attention so it's better than nothing but ignorning loses the attraction immediately. Then you call them when you're ready to play. Huge difference in behaviour if consistent.

On a cheaper note your dad could always try k9events.com...there is basically an encyclopedia of articles on that site all positive training in one form or another.

Also he could try joining some training lists like Dogtalk (on the k9events site) and Melissa Alexanders 'Clicker Solutions' a yahoo group, clicker solutions is a very busy list, with lots of enlightening strategies on many dog training and behaviour subjects.

Mel.

Not so much for the actual training part although it does go through this but more for understanding better ways to train than the smack approach and why these methods work.

Trust me, he already knows this. He told me the other night that he feels so bad about how much better a bond he could have had with Dusty (his last dog) if he had known this better way of training. He said he could tell when he cleans Tilly's ears or cuts her nails and just checking her over that she trusts him completely. Brought tears to my eyes. You can't blame him for how he used to train, it was all most people knew back when he first learnt about dogs; but I am so proud at how he has taken up the challenge of a new way of thinking. :shrug:

On a cheaper note your dad could always try k9events.com...there is basically an encyclopedia of articles on that site all positive training in one form or another.

While Dad has grasped some new dog training techniques, for now, computers (and the internet) are still outside his comfort zone. He's talking of paying for some lessons at TAFE or something but for now he can't manage it. Will keep it in my list to give to him though.

Can the person who suggested "The Dog Whisperer" please clarify whether they meant "The Dog Whisperer : The Essential Guide To Understanding And Raising A Happy Dog by John Richardson And Others" or "The Dog Whisperer : A Compassionate, Nonviolent Approach To Dog Training by Paul Owens And Others" ?

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Anything by Gwen Bailey or John Fisher makes complete sense to me. Gwen wrote 'The Perfect Puppy' which should be read by every puppy purchaser (IMHO). Also wrote 'Leading the Pack' which is wonderful. She is a very quiet, soft lady and treats dogs with the utmost respect - they respond by doing anything she asks.

Hey Steve (k9 force) just wondering, is the book you were talking about (Applied Dog Behaviour) written by Steven R. Lindsay?

LOL, edited to add, Herr Rottweiler just answered my question... thanks!!!

Edited by rubeedoo

And no offence to you HR, but we're talking above a novice dog owner here who wants to move into some competition with his one dog. How can you possibly think an outlay of $291 for 1 book could possibly be justified by an owner of this type (no matter how good it may be).

It's like recommending to someone who is just starting out in photography that they need to buy a development lab and $10000 worth of equipment. It's simply OTT and unpractical. Sure maybe one day if they become very serious they will get to that point, but right now it's the most ridiculous suggestion ever made.

Horses for courses people.

Best books on reward based training and competition would probably be morgan spectors or i guess david Westons at least he goes through the exercises step by step.

Purely positive is great but doesnt have a step by step and only covers foundations if i remeber it does a lot of in my other book

Videos Mary rays and Patty Ruzzo come to mind for showing how to use food Pattys is a lot of fun too variable and unpredictable and cookie power i think they are called.

They are all aimed at competition obed Morgans is an american book so the exercises are slighly different another is Kaye Lawrences clicker worl obedienc has a video too havent read or seen it but have heard its very good

ML is right. I have that book and will start reading it eventually, but it's very expensive and "heavy" indepth reading and not exactly the most practical choice in this thread.

Nat