Adams Apple Seems Big

sidoney

My Kelpie seems to have a large "adams apple". I don't remember it being like this before, but maybe I haven't noticed it? Although I think I would have. It kind of pokes out in the forwards direction. It doesn't seem sore and she's active and happy and acts normally. Is it normal? Or not normal? I worry about putting a collar on her as it seems like the collar would press on it.

Has anyone had any experience with this? How prominent are the adams apples on your dogs? My Vizslas don't have prominent ones like this.

Edit: I've decided it's NOT normal and so we'll be visiting the vet. In the meantime, has anyone had anything like this?

Edited by sidoney

Hi Sidoney,

Had a friend with a similar thing with her miniature poodle. I think the diagnosis was "goitre", thyroid gland involved in this case. Not sure if the treatment was drugs, medication or combination. Your descriptions sounds very familiar.

Regards,

I've just been reading about thyroid diseases - hyperthyroidism is rarer in dogs than cats (apparently) but one of the symptoms can be a prominant adam's apple - I don't know whether goitres prompt thyroid disorders or vice versa but just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks guys. I hope it's simple too. Her temp was fine and she's eating fine and she's active and all that. Fingers crossed it's an easy fix. Apparently it's grass seed season but it's been a couple of weeks since I had her at the horse paddock or anywhere with lots of seeds.

I'm assured that she'll be recovered from her op and able to work sheep by the time of the Bungendore clinic.

Feeling a *little* strange about having her spayed. I was always intending to do it, but it's been many years since I've had a bitch spayed without keeping a daughter from her.

The main thing though is hoping that the lump is just something minor.

Hi, didn't get a chance to get online last night.

Xia is fine and recovering from op well. I am having to keep her and Belle separated - this morning Xia says she is up to playing but I think not.

Spay was straightforward. The lump ... was unlike anything the vet had seen before. And she's seen lots of lumps. It was right on the larynx, and like a tough fibrous capsule with a fluid centre. She could not find a foreign body but it was similar to a foreign body reaction. She could not remove the lump totally because of its position, surrounded by important blood vessels. But she's taken some of it out and that's going off to be tested. Will have results by next Monday, or with luck Friday.