Advice Wanted On Feeding

I would like some help from you guys re the feeding habits of my dogs, I have read some of the current posts on nutruition and believe you guys can genuinely help me!

I have two huskies, one is 5 the other nearly 1. They currently get a raw bone each in the morning then dinner is usually a cup of Purina Pro Plan with some rabbit, chicken, beef or roo mince. I have tried just giving them bikkies but they won't touch them by themselves at all.

My problem is they are picky eaters and slow eaters. I put the bowls out after sunset because they tend to let the birds eat their food otherwise. Sometimes they will eat nearly all of it within 10 minutes, other times they sniff it and walk away. I will leave the bowls out but once the sun rises the birds eat it. Once I get up if any is left then I turf it.

I have tried Advance bikkies but the younger one seems to prefer small sized pieces to the larger ones for adult dogs, but she tends not to eat any of her bikkies while the other one will eat them without fuss. Neither of them will eat Eukanuba nor Hills.

BF tells me off for trying different things...he says they are dogs and should just get dog food and too bad they'll eat it if they get hungry enough - not true. Older one starved herself when she was younger because she hated the food my ex gave her.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Should I persist with the bikkies? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should try instead? I'm open to all suggestions! Help!

Hi Ann

I am not experienced with Huskies and I am learning all over again how to be a dog owner (things have changed alot since I had my Sheltie in the 1980s).

Rosie went through a patch a couple months back where she refused to eat anything I gave her (at that time she was getting fed in the laundry) and yes she would even refuse a couple days in a row, although she might pick at some dry food overnight if I just left it in her bowl.

One day I got so frustrated I got her food and catapulted it into the backyard (breeder had told me to stay strong LOL). Anyway I think the "outburst" made Rosie pay attention. She ran after the food and gobbled it all up! And she has been eating great ever since. I dont think she has skipped a meal and its been weeks.

Of course I am not saying you have to stand on your head or have an outburst but I think it was interesting.

Do you try mixing something smelly (sardines etc) with their dry occasionally? Dry can be pretty boring to some dogs :thumbsup:

I only used the can idea as a guide. We use to feed a can per dog, but since being on BARF, you think we were starving our dogs. LOL.

Adding vegies is a good idea. New tastes for dogs to try. Now the question of cooked or raw. Depends on the dog. I blanch mine, its the only way they eat it.

Dogs wont starve themselves. If the dogs walk away from their meals, take it up and put in the fridge, covered. Try again later, say 10mins - 30mins. If still not taking food, then they must be happy and full.

I would give the bikkies a miss. My choice, but its up to you. I would say, if they dont eat it, why give it. I dont feed my girls any dry food whatsoever. They dont miss it.

They can be happy on simply meaty bones and a meat and vegies mix. When you think they look a bit skinny, give more. If they are a little podgy, give less.

Do a search with BARF as the topic and get a few more ideas on what extras you can add. Like eggs, yoghurt, sardines/fish, chicken necks, etc etc.

I like to give my dog a bit of variety. She gets alot of chicken bones (wings,necks,drumsticks), occasional red meat bones, dry food made palatable with sardines mashed in, rice and vegies, macaroni and vegies, puppy roll, tuna/rice/cheese mornay, steamed vegie leftovers etc etc. I don't follow any recipes, just go with the flow.

Without wanting to offend - which method of feeding is going to suit you best?

My 2 Siberians & my Hamiltons hoover their food down (Super Premium) but we did have a Sibe a few years ago who sounds exactly like yours!! She was terribly frustrating ;) :D ;)

Perhaps try a mix of both BARF & Kibble as others have suggested - will leave comments about BARF preparation to those experienced with it. Just make sure you cover all your nutritional requirements. Also, maybe switch to a more palatable Super Premium?? I'm a big fan of Nutro & Royal Canin so I guess am alittle biased but Eagle Pack, Natural Balance & California Natural also get the :thumbsup: on paper.

I wouldn't be leaving their food out overnight for them - put it down, give them say 20 mins?? then remove it. The 'theroy' is that the BF is right and they won't starve themselves to death but it is very worrying I know when they get really thin from not eating.

Offering them a thousand different things will make them FUSSY!! Most dogs will do well no matter if you feed BARF or Super Premium or mix of both. You just need to decide what it is you're going to feed them and slowly introduce it.

PM me if you want some more specific help on how to wean them over to just a kibble diet alternatively, some of the BARF people may be able to give you some really good advice in that direction ;) :rofl:

ETA: Either way - it's entirely your decision - just hope we all can offer you some alternatives :(

Edited by HuntinHound

I feed Stella (3yo) dry food with some mince, too. She is picky, but with less fuzz from us eats somehow. I give 1/2 cup in the morning, if she doesn't eat strait away, I put it in fridge. In the evening she gets 2 cups dry and a bit of mince or something else, with water. What she didn't eat in 10 min is put in fridge or given to another dog. (or thrown away). Sometimes we order her to EAT! :thumbsup: Funny, but she obeys ;)

She gets a bone or a Kong when we leave in the morning, too.

1 yo eats twice a day, but he has no problems...

One big key factor is that food should be eaten quickly and if not, it's removed after a set time (usually ten minutes). If the dogs get a big RMB every morning, chances are that any processed foods will be refused. If this is the case, then you could make the evening meal one of other raw foods...kibble is the last thing most dogs would choose to eat themselves!

My dogs eat their meals when given - but they're BARF fed. Molly is only learning about real food as she was given HSD at the rescue. So far, she eats chicken necks and turns her nose up at everything else. But the bowl gets taken up after ten minutes and eventually she will eat it all. Given that she's only been here two days, she's got to adjust at her own pace. :thumbsup:

Just a thought - have you perhaps tried Lamb Mince??? it's tasty and contains alittle fat - I just mixed a small amount in with Puppy Kibble for one of my little ones who doesn't really like Dry Food (10wks old so they can be forgiven) and she gobbled it down !!

I have a very fussy boy that I feed Turkey Mince to, that too is quite a lean mince.

Chezzyr - I also threw the kibble on the ground as an experiment when they went through a refusal stage and it actually worked!! After 3 days refusal I thought would could I lose :thumbsup:. Now he gobbles his brekkie.

Edited to get rid of those damn spelling gremlins.

Edited by catzatsea

I tried the rabbit mince with kibble on the weekend and they both gobbled it up, mind you they had only picked at their food for the last couple of days. Now they turn their noses up at it! In the past they have been keen on fishy products so might try some sardines and veges with a small amount of kibble.

Would it harm them if they only got bowl meals every second day? I don't mind feeding them every night but it pains me to turf the food and it bugs me that we have the best fed mynah (sp?) birds in Melbourne!

So if I give them 10 minutes and they don't eat, do I offer the food again later and see if they want it then or do I just not bother again until the following dinnertime?

ETA - Am going to buy the BARF book by Dr Billinghurst I think...

Edited by Annie Oakley

I would offer them their food at the same time you do now - if they don't eat it then take it away ... chuck some gladwrap on it, put it in the fridge and offer it for brekkie in the morning .. again if they don't eat it take it away for dinner.

24hrs in the fridge wont' hurt the food any.

ETA: Perhaps also try alittle TRIPE ..... all my dogs (4 adults & 5 puppies) LOVE it even though cutting it up makes me sick :thumbsup: ;)

Edited by HuntinHound

............. one cup of bikkies with about same of meat...do i cook vege's or what?

Hi Chezzyr. :thumbsup:

Raw is better, but to help the dog break it down and absorb the nutrients more efficiently, either finely grate the vegies or blend them. Of course, if your dogs would enjoy munching on a whole carrot (as they might a bone) that's good too (provided you haven't got one like mine that just swallows chunks too large for her gullet :rofl: )

As for the dry dog food/bikkies - they're probably least like dog food than any, when you think about what dogs would normally chose to eat if in the wild.

I wouldn't give your dogs a long time to eat either - as one said ... 20 minutes, then put the food away. You could perhaps give a second chance an hour or so later, but if not, then the next day. Whilst you mightn't have had luck with this with your previous dog, it may well work with these ones. ;)

While I am a strong beleiver in a raw diet (good for you for going down that route :love: ) it is important to remember that no matter what the diet, a dog can be fussy. What is important in this case is the routine. I have some picky eaters and some not so picky. I can understand your frustration when a dog for some reason does not eat. But think for a minute - does it really need to? Or is it maintaining a reasonable weight (and lean is reasonable and actually preferable from a health point of view) while still missing meals? Sometimes we need to trust our dogs as a healthy dog will not starve itself to death (naturally a dog who usually eats, but suddenly goes off its food, or a dog which is showing signs of being unwell, is NOT healthy and this rule does not apply!). The way I do it is to leave the food down for 15 minutes. If they have not started eating in this time, the food gets picked up till next mealtime. I have one dog in particular that will miss usually at least one meal a week as a rule. She maintains an excellent weight and has no problem with this routine. As a rule it is not the dog that finds it a problem, just the person feeding them.

I'm with Espinay2 : as long as your dogs are in good health, they will not starve themselves to death. All my dogs - 15-20 minutes and it's gone again until tomorrow. (They only get fed once a day once an adult)

My Little Miss Fussy may not like what she's getting for 3 days but she will eat again when she's really hungry - whatever day it is and whatever food I may have given her, even if it's the same as her food the day before. She can choose not to eat but she can't choose what I'm feeding her - she will eat what's in her bowl. :love:

Fussy dogs, like fussy children, means they are getting too much choice. :love:

How is Eb's paw?

She is still limping, we went to the vet again this morning and he is not too concerned with her paw now as he can squeeze and manipulate it without her fussing, but when he tries to lift her right front leg she tenses and fights him. He also noticed she is losing muscle density in that shoulder because she is favouring her left foot still. When standing or sitting you can actually see she is not putting weight on that foot.

He has given her more anti inflammatories and said to watch it for another week and see what happens before sugesting more xrays.

She is a no-go for the Santa sled dog gig though :love:

Back on topic of feeding...I have noticed that even when they don't eat for a few nights they eventually will eat, so it seems you guys are right. Last night I put sardines in with the last of the mince and less kibble than normal and Ebony ate most of it at once, so obviously she was hungry.

It's a bit of a controvertial topic, but my anxious GSD used to starve himself (up to 3 weeks at a time) and had no appetite. Once I switched him to a barf diet and started fasting him once a week or so it really changed his eating habits. Now he will eat anything I put in front of him and out of the bin, off the bench, out of the cat's bowls etc etc :love:

He's a very healthy weight now and the change in diet amazingly affected his anxiety levels also.

Much happier dog now :love:

ETA: Can she swim or is getting the paw wet still a no no?

Edited by haven