Descending Testicles

dogsong

How can I tell if my siberian husky's testicles are dropping normally? He's 5 months now and I can't seem to see his testicles?

What does normal testicles look like? :love:

btw, I'm new here, I have two dogs, both siberian huskies.

T0_-1_901858.JPG

Teloki, the little boy at almost four months old

T0_-1_901862.jpg

and Puffy

This is going to sound strange...but your best bet is to reach down and grab a feel. You will know them when you feel them, they'll feel like two smallish stones that will move. If the dog is laying on his back look down the length of the penis sheath and if you feel towards the back of that before where the body changes direction towards the anus.

If the dog is standing up feel under the tail where the body angles away from his bottom and towards the penile sheath.

If you can't feel them it could mean they aren't decended in which case I'd look at having the pup desexed at around 6 months at the latest as undecended testes can cause problems in regards to testicular cancer etc.

PS...I don't know this stuff because i'm icky weird by the way :love: but because i'd always had male dogs, usually full male dogs who like to show themselves off :love: I just hope i've described everything as it's supposed to be :love:

This is going to sound strange...but your best bet is to reach down and grab a feel. You will know them when you feel them, they'll feel like two smallish stones that will move. If the dog is laying on his back look down the length of the penis sheath and if you feel towards the back of that before where the body changes direction towards the anus.

If the dog is standing up feel under the tail where the body angles away from his bottom and towards the penile sheath.

If you can't feel them it could mean they aren't decended in which case I'd look at having the pup desexed at around 6 months at the latest as undecended testes can cause problems in regards to testicular cancer etc.

PS...I don't know this stuff because i'm icky weird by the way :love: but because i'd always had male dogs, usually full male dogs who like to show themselves off :love: I just hope i've described everything as it's supposed to be :love:

that will hardly be possible to do, Loki is never still..isnt there any way i could tell by looking?

Ntt if they are a fluffy type dog as the fur will grow around the dogs testes (not to mention fluffy butt and breeches) which could hide them depending on how close they are to the body...which by the sounds of it is close.

Ok...get food in one hand...and hold on tight to it...let dog try and get it while you reach around with the other hand and grab a feel :love: it won't take more then a moment or two to check :love:

EFS

Edited by KitKat

As to how big they will be...that depends on the dog :love: but for a husky of that age..i'd estimate somewhere between the size of the last joint of your thumb to the the size of your whole thumb. (differences being in, thumbsize and sex..lol)

Just thought i'd check one thing before going further...there is no chance that this boy may have been desexed early? Some breeders and most rescues (for example) desex their pups before they go to their new homes and this can happen from 7weeks onwards...

But as with all things...if in doubt...check with your vet :love:

Edited to clarify...the pups can be desexed form 7 weeks onwards, rather then go home from 7 weeks...8 weeks and onwards is the best bet :love:

Edited by KitKat

Here's an image I nabbed off google that shows where you should feel...

moneyshot.jpg

You should be able to feel them at 5 months. It's possible he has 'sucked them up' if he's in a stressful/excitable situation - but I am assuming you are at home, so that is unlikely. :love:

I very much doubt that you'd be able to see them - when my dog was 1 year old (or there abouts) he was desexed, and his one testicle that was down was hardly visible.

Don't stress if you can't find them. Whenever you next go to the vet, ask him to have a feel. If neither or only one is there, you should get him desexed to remove the chance of testicular cancer.

The latest I've heard of a dog's testicles dropping is at 7 months (but I'm sure some people would experience later), however, I believe, if testicles had not dropped by 8 weeks, the chances of them dropping at all are greatly diminished. Yes, your dog's testicles still may drop - but if they're not there at 5 months, I very much doubt that they will at all - though it is possible.

Just out of curiousity - why do you want your dog to be entire (i.e. have two testicles)?

Your best bet is to, when he next needs vaccinations, ask the vet to check to see if both testicles are there. If one or neither are there, then the ones not descendent are best to be removed if cancerous. If there is just one there, you may choose to keep that one so that you still have a 'male dog' (e.g. he develops as an entire dog, with all the hormones released by the testes).

Hope that helps?

yes, i'll ask the vet when I pay her a visit next time.

To answer your question...I'm just curious, I mean, my previous male dog had huge testicles even at a very young age and I was kind of expecting to see some on Loki by now.

And i was starting to worry that something's terribly wrong with him.

:laugh:

Undescendent testicles are not a big deal, unless you're trying to breed them out. :laugh: If they're not there, they get dug out (of the abdomen) and removed, and that's the end of it. :) So don't worry, just remember to ask your vet to check him out. They might be there, just you've missed them. :rofl: