Obedience Clubs...advise/opinions?...

ReXy

just wondering if any of u local to me people (hastings... westernport) or anyone else.. have heard of hastings obedience club and have any sugestions opinions as im new to this area i dont know of anyone... here thats heard of it ,they train 10 o clock sundays and have puppy preeschool tuesday nights i rang and the lady i spoke to was lovely and very helpfull and i will go and check it out on tuesday and sunday as i am having issues with dodge pulling i brought the black dog halter. which has proved to be sucessfull...tho still trying to get it off..lol but as we have finaly settled here i can finally get into obedience more with my babies he loves being out is a very social dog and id like to have a bit more controll over him thanks in advance simone :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey lablover,

I go to Hastings :)

It's a great club and I do recommend it. I've been going for a few months now.

Tuesday nights are good - not many people go so you get a lot of one on one training.

It's busier on sundays but the classes are a good size and I've never felt I just "blended in". Your loose leash issues will definitely be looked at as it's one of the behaviours you have to get control over before you proceed to advanced.

They also have agility and flyball training and you can usually have a go at the agility after class.

Everyone has been friendly and very respectful of everyone's "space".

They also offer the "give me space" jackets in case your dog needs it.

PM me if you have other questions.

Nat

Ummm, it's usually two per class so I guess about 10-12. I'm a bit oblivious to the rest of the classes when I'm training :)

Nat

awsome thanks nat.. thats all i needed to hear...lol well guess ill be meeting u soon then i ma taking toby tuesday night..,a nd will take dodge the following sunday not this one as i have loads on this weekend..... cant waittttttttt the lady i spoke to was the treasurer and her name is denise lovely lady !! :)

I don't want to burst your bubble then, but there's no training on the 27th as the Rosebud pet expo is on and they are all at the flyball etc.

There is training this week and next and then the week after the 27th is our final training day for the year :)

Most training schools will have a break over this period, but come along to the fun day as you'll get to meet heaps of people and still see the atmosphere and happy dogs :scared:

Nat

Edited by Tess32

David with a rotty does agility

I used to go to Hastins Lablover1 and im sure you'll enjoy your time there its a lovely ground the training area never gets too wet and there is heaps of room so the classes are nicly spread out plus its a smaller club so the classs sizes are usually very good.

There are a few people of here that go there i belive and i know the instructors do take an acive interest inlearning are going to lots of seminars and were organising a few experts to come talk to the club

awsome thank you yogi bear... im really looking forward to it and cant wait to get out there training again... i used to ( a long time ago) go to westernport at kcc park with my old bc rex but i had head there was in hasting and it is 2 mins from me so i am so pleased to hear it is a good club... thanks again guys

I took Jake there for a few months when I first got him a few years ago and found it quite good but found I didn't agree with how one of the trainers (can't remember her name) treated people. I don't even know if she is still there, but I didn't go back after a few times... It was a pity cos Jake was doing pretty well. I have spoken to ADT and Murray and I are going down on Saturday for the info session and then we will see how we go after that.

Anne

cool thanks for ur info guys ill let u know how it goes anne

look forward to meeting u anne.. im doing puppy pre school with toby and beginners with dodge...s o should be interesting. im using a black dog halter on him atm.. progressing slowly

Simone, definately let me know how it goes. Jake had just started to learn very basic agility and loved it and the lady that did the agility was really nice. I may bring Jake down in the new year seeing as they are breaking soon and start agility. Would be excellent :o

If Dodge wants a run with Jake just let me know. Jake is always up for a run and I often take him and Murray to an enclosed cricket oval on Graydens Road which is nice and close for both of us ;)

Anne

hi Cheyenne

Yes i had a dislike for a few of the officials down there which is why i left but peple come and go and she may have moved on If you want to do agility check out ACtion dogs on a wednesday night at doveton it is very good indoors and the instructor from hastings you like instructs there too..

Hastings - Thay will be renaming it the DOL obedience club the number now heading there. Still not made it myself, maybe this weekend, though it will be with Skye - who is never a pleasant prospect in obedience as she hates it - we are trying toy motivation at the moment with her - clicker proved a disaster she just get impatient and bites the clicker or lunges at the treat pouch. Do they allow use of toys in training down there.

Poor Beck is limping intermittently so he goes sports physio monday but i suspect he will be resting a while after that?

I go to Hastings too.

Well, I've been a member there for months, but with renovations, moving etc, I really have hardly been there at all. :) Whenever I 'breeze' into class, no one minds that I've had a break, everyone is just as nice as the last time I was there. I have done more Tuesday night classes than Sundays, as Nat said, they are usually tiny, plenty of one on one time. This past Sunday morning we did agility class with Greg before our obed class, and had a ball. But then in obed class he was a bit pooped (it was hot) not as 'snappy' as usual. I explained half way through class to my instructor that we were going to ditch it for the day as he'd had enough, she agreed, and we left class. I'd never met her before that day.

From what I've seen up until now, they are a lovely club. If they are nice to such a 'bad' ;) member as myself, I cant wait till next year when I can actually start going all the time and get into it. :p :

Tis an unfortunate fact I think, that all clubs have politics, and that politics often get tainted by the personalities of those on the committees. If the club is close to you, come and have a look. :) If its not what you're after, there will be one out there that is. :o

ETA: Hey DD, I would love to see you and your gorgeous clever girl there. Yup, toys are fine, anything that 'floats her boat' so they say ;)

Edited by Hedds

looks like it will become the dol class lol didnt realise so many of u lived down this way which is great , as i have only been living here for the last 5 months. so its great to meet new people and doggies.. ill be going tonight with toby to puppy class and next sunday with dodge