Herding Starters Day

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you everyone.

I've been working so hard I haven't had time to check DOL. The photos are great (the captions are even better :rolleyes: )

I had a great time with all of you on Sunday, can't wait for the next one.

Now everyone work on those sits, stops and informal recalls before next month.

Cheers,

David.

Yup Fox is a huge kelpie!!!!

im trying to work an argument for having sheep at home LOL problem is then we would have to get decent fences :rolleyes:

So anyone enthused enough to come to the herding instinct trial at lancefield??

we could have a DOL meet there and watch the entertainment 31/12/05, Bodie is trying for his herding test, some moral support would be great

And it is enter on the day if you feel brave enough!!

LOL my sister says he looks evil in this pic....

post-9-1134549109.jpg

Dunno i think it was just instinct and herding test, i hate it when they split them up, like southerns pretrial & above i think in october :rolleyes: i had to wait until end december there are not so many trials held anyway then they do that *sigh*

Hey, Sparty, if it's not too hard to find, I wouldn't mind coming to watch and maybe enter Fox...How much will it cost?...what time should I get there?...where in Lancefield? Are the details in one of the Vic Dog magazines? Or somewhere else? I really want to come!

And where on the internet can I read VCA Herding rules? Is it Herding Instinct Test (2 passes?), Herding test (how many passes?), and then what?

2 HIC tests, then 2 HT (Herding Test) passes, then 2 PT (Pretrial) test passes. Then trials!

I think this website has most of the stuff you're after:Vicherding

and the full rules are on ML's website:

Herding Rules

I think most dogs can do the levels up to an including PT without much/any training, as long as they will stop and recall. I have friends whose dogs had seen sheep once before their first ANKC herding test day, and had no exposure to sheep at all in between the test days (HIC-PT).

Have fun :mad

Now everyone work on those sits, stops and informal recalls before next month.

an "informal" recall?

Is that coming back but without sitting at the handlers knees? Also is the term 'sit' used differently? And i've not used the word 'stop' in any training so far.

Perhaps someone who's been before can explain some of the peculiarities of herding work.

Loved all the pics btw.

it will depend on the dog obviously, lol dont want to say too much or something that could be taken in a disparaging way, but i felt much better about going into the instinct test after watching some of the other dogs in started and even intermediate .....

Besides if you never try you will never know :mad

it is pretty easy to find Hopenfox

bendigo to lancefield

the road you come in on takes you right past the grounds (on the right)

Hey Sparty - I'll be in the Melbourne area, and I'd sort of pencilled in going to have a look at the Lancefield thing. So you're going to be there on New Year's Eve? I'll PM you about details. Don't think I'll enter Miss Kirra - she does have her HIT, but would probably be DQd for teeth flossing :mad Maybe I should bring her documents anyway. I'm a VCA member as well as a TCA member, so should be no problems there.

Barb

ETA Bodie looks great in that shot - wish Kirra would keep good distance off her sheep.

Edited by Tassie

Ive been practising recalls stop and sit and we did do some direction work more for me to practise hand signals and get used to the commands i want to use around + clockwise and Back+ anti clockwise only because i use over for jumping so if i said that he would jump on the sheep lol

Informal recall to me is come to me and stay close enought for me to touch and hold collar no front though cnnor usually sits anyway

Stop means that stop moving i get a drop or stand when i say stop but am happy with eiter so long as he stops where he is I teach stop and slow together on our walks sit is to sit but the dog can be away from you not sure why we need stop and sit and drop i guess stop could be just to stop fr a second whereas sit for stability and drop for extra control Dave is that anywhere near right

yb

After going to the Bernard Arends seminar i switched to LEFT and RIGHT lol a hell of a lot easier to remember i dont have to draw H & B on the back of my hands to remember HERE & BEHIND :mad i use BACK to get him to back off and STEADY to come in slow, IN to well, come in hehehe and GET IN to get in between the sheep and the fence OUT to get some more distance tho Bernard said if he is going right another RIGHT should push him out further (once he is trained better LOL) but for now use it when he is cutting in too much or threatening to cross me

Looking forward to seeing you Barb!! they will have herding test there so Kirra could start on her next leg?

I hope u can come to lancefield YB, would love to see Conner the mighty at work :(

Lol lancefield is along walk Nah wont be going that far from home though it would be a challenge t have him ready in two weeks to do his instinct test lol he stil has to get the sheep moving without help froma big tough kelpies lol

We are aiming for the instinct test at the start of march i think southerns running it but we will train towadr the next level whatever that entails.

Im big on setting challenges for myself so the challenge is to get his first tite ht i think before the start of August. Hear that Dave im planning a few tripe to your place i think

yb

I went sunday week ago about 7.30am before it got stinking hot 6am start from home tho :mad i might try and get there again before chrissy for a few hours if i can talk dave into it, lol timed right i can get 3 hours in and be back in time to make hubby breakfast in bed LOL, well maybe brunch and still have most of the day to spend with him :(

well it is something to think about ,instinct test i wouldnt think Conner would have any problems with, then you could concentrate on herding test (getting them to kinda go where u want them LOL) for southern, i hope to do Bodie's 2nd herding test ... or (dreaming) pretrial hehehe