Testicular Cancer?

caslero

I have recently changed to a new vet and took my 8.5yr old boy there last weekend for a general check-up.

Whilst examining him, the vet found a hard lump in one of his testes (no obvious outward change in size/appearance at this stage) ..... she's asked me to keep an eye on it over the coming weeks to see if it growing as she said it may just be from an old injury, but felt that at his age it is more than likely a tumour and he will need to be castrated.

Has anyone experienced testicular cancer with their boys - and if so, what was the outcome?

I guess this is also serves as a good reminder for people to check their older males regularly in that area as well :rofl:

Silverblue, i don't want to be mean but i am sure Caslero is feeling pretty uncertain about things at the moment and may even be feeling guilty that they havent castrated their dog earlier. I'm going through a similar situation with my Malamute at the moment (as can be read in the post "Protruding vaginal mass"...yes, i should have had her spayed a long time ago but i didnt, now i feel upset, guilty, and every other emotion under the sun while i sit here waiting for the pathology results. Hindsight is a beautiful thing.....i must say this experience has certainly opened my eyes to a few things namely desexing your pet as a puppy if you have no intention of breeding with them....having said all that nothing now can change the situation that Caslero is in....a little compassion, rather than beating them up, doesnt hurt....as i said i don't want to come across like i am telling you off but the emotions you go through when this uncertainty hits cannot easily be explained and a little support does wonders....

Caslero, i'm really sorry to hear of the situation you're in at the moment. I hope everything turns out for the best. I'm in a similar situation with my girl at the moment although her experience was a little more traumatic than a lump under the skin (although i did get a lump removed from her front leg for pathology testing just to be sure)....it's hard i know and i know exactly how you must be feeling at the moment. In relation to the lump my girl had a lump on her front leg. I noticed it a few months ago, it was hard, about pea sized maybe a slight bit bigger. I asked the vet to remove it when he had her under for the tumour. The vet told me that as a dog gets older they can form lumps through hormonal changes it is perfectly normal and common...don't be too concerned at this stage. Monitor it and if it get's worse don't hesitate to take whatever remedial action is necessary. You know about it so you can monitor it....if it concerns you then solve the problem now and get him fixed and the lump checked out...all i can say is hang in there. The support that i have received from this forum has been amazing and i am sure you will receive the same

All the best

I agree this is the exact reason why males & females should be spayed if there is no good reason to be entire.

The outcome depends on what it is ,how much its spread if its the worse.

Personally i would be spaying asap not waiting.

Very few pet owners ever check there males testes & we through our grooming parlour have sent many owners off to the vets due to abnormal testes & some have come back with no issues,some have had the worse cancer but the owners hadnt a clue,they wanted them to be entire but no one of wanted to check there dogs either.

We have also sent bitches of who have showed symptons that the owners said yeah does it all the time,1 died of pyometra ,a couple of others had to be spayed asap

Edited by showdog

Hi There Malamute,

I don't believe I actually said anywhere in my post ANYTHING about Caslero not having his/her dog desexed, in fact in their avatar they state they are a exhibitor, future breeder, so they have good reason to keep there dog intact.

How can you read so much into one line ???????, It is indeed very concerning when this happens to anyones dog, but please don't put words into what I wrote, as I do believe what I said.

Showdog, from your experience what % of lumps would you say pose a risk? is it a high proportion? I put up the post about the protruding vaginal mass and yes! i agree i should have spayed my girl and she will be getting spayed ASAP....the benefit of hindsight

Hi There Malamute,

I don't believe I actually said anywhere in my post ANYTHING about Caslero not having his/her dog desexed, in fact in their avatar they state they are a exhibitor, future breeder, so they have good reason to keep there dog intact.

How can you read so much into one line ???????, It is indeed very concerning when this happens to anyones dog, but please don't put words into what I wrote, as I do believe what I said.

Sorry Silverblue, again i didnt mean it as a personal attack against you please don't think i meant it that way....honestly i didnt...i agree spaying is definitely something that should be considered for the long term health of your pet. Look at me! i'm the prime example of an owner who didnt spay his dog and now i'm the one that is going through the guilt, uncertainty etc of not having done that....again i apologise i didnt mean it as an attack against you..i just meant that caslero may be looking for a little support as i know that is what i needed, and still need, when what happened to my girl happened...again i apologise

Hi There Malamute,

Silverblue, this is NOT an attack (!) but maybe it was the word "you" which lead us to believe you were "having a go" at Caslero (I did too at first...)

Maybe you should have made your very wise comment more generalised, for example :

It also serves as a good reminder that dog owners should be desexing their dogs at an earlier age

or

It also serves as a good reminder non-breeding dogs should be desexed at an earlier age

just a suggestion :rofl:

Caslero, I hope your boy simply has too many tadpoles in one of his testes and that it's nothing more sinister...

Nonetheless, I too would consider having him castrated ASAP then doing a pathology on the lump, just in case... Maybe if you were really hoping to breed from him, you could look into the cost of freezing some semen before he's de-sexed ???

Please keep us updated.

That's ok guys,

Perhaps if you had read the whole post you would have seen I did state

( If you are not a registered breeder, that is :rofl: )

Best of luck with your boy Caslero & also your girl Malamute, it is a hard time

Must be that time of the year :(:( :rolleyes:

Everyone is getting a little touchy ( me included :rolleyes: )

I would never take anything so lightly, but I can assure you my post was not aimed at anyone in particular,

Cheers & keep your chins up, & BYE BYE

Edited by Silverblue

Thanks for your comments.

I took my boy to the vets yesterday for another check up (one week after lump detection) and already it has grown so he is booked in tomorrow for desexing.

Hopefully everything will go ok.... I'll be stressing til he's back home again :rofl:

Ask the vet to inject him with 10 gms of vit c as soon as he takes him off the anaesthetic. Makes it much easier for your boy to come out of it (detoxifies the system) and vit c is the best treatment for any cancer - just keep him on it orally for a while after the op to boost his immune system (as in weeks or months)

The injectible vit c only costs about $11 at the produce store or chemist, and can be kept in the fridge after for treating tick/spider bites etc.

Got fingers crossed it'll go smoothly!

Guest LittlePixie

Hey Caslero...

Good luck with Jet.... hope everything is okay.

My Mini Schnauzer was in at the Vet's this week to get a lump removed too (not on her testicles though :rofl:) and she's a complete stresshead... but even though they had to sedate her afterwards, she was fine the next day :love:

Will be thinking of him tomorrow.

Thanks Morgan and LP (glad your girl is ok).... I think I'm more of a "stress head" than him :rofl: I've just given him a bath and shampoo so he'll be nice and clean for his big day tomorrow (LOL) and he's had a great time doing zoomies around the backyard afterwards - he probably won't be feeling as energetic this time tomorrow. :love:

Re the Vit C - thanks for the info... will definitely discuss with my vet tomorrow. He is on a raw diet and supplemented with fish oil, vit E and I have supplemented with vit C in the past.

Will let you know how he goes. Thanks again :love:

Edited by caslero

I'm glad you took him back to the vet so quickly and the "snip" could be planned today. Hope he comes out of it OK and that the biopsy tests come back 1) ideally negative or 2) that the eventual tumor was totally got, no spreading possible...

Thinking of you and Jet.

ETA that I'm sorry if you were planning on breeding from him, his show and stud career has been stopped in it's tracks, which must be a great deception but I'm sure all that is second place to his health...

Edited by pampa

He's home! :D

Thanks for all your well wishes.... the vet rang me as soon as he was out of anaesthetic as she knew how stressed I was.... should have seen me dropping him off this morning... I was a blubbering mess! :cry: :p

He's up and walking and has done #'s 1 & 2 since coming home so everything seems to be working :) He's just having trouble getting comfortable lying down at the moment - poor guy.

The lump was a tumour and the vet is confident that it has all been removed :rainbowbridge: