Question About Rimadyl For Old Dogs

Hello. I'm new to this forum but have been visiting for over a year. It's been a great source of information and entertainment - thanks.

I have a few questions about the use of rimadyl and was hoping if anyone can give me some advice. My vet prescribed it for my 14 year old samoyed Kimba. I've searched this forum for 'rimadyl' and had a look on the net and am a bit concerned about its side effects. From what I've read, it seems that there are dangers associated with longterm usage. At the same time, it also seems to be a balancing act between considering the side effects and the benefits in terms of the dog's quality of life.

Kimba is 14 and has had diabetes since 2001. She's quite stiff in her hind legs and can't seem to sit anymore. It's either standing or lying down. She's obviously no longer so active anymore - snoozes a lot and not chasing birds, but still enjoying life and her people :( She's a bit slow in getting up and lying down nowadays :mad The vet did a urine and blood test prior to prescription. Her kidney results were normal.

In this situation, would you say that the use of rimadyl would be too risky? Do the dangers associated with longterm use apply only to a young dog? Or does her physical condition - i.e. older dog, diabetic - make her more susceptible to the risks? Are there alternatives? (She had a course of cartrophen last year but with no noticeable effects). What about, say, regular massage?

I agreed with the vet to try it for a week and then to reassess but am still ambivalent about it. I'd appreciate advice from anyone with similar experiences. There's so much information around (which is only a good thing) but it seems like one needs a science degree to decipher it all.

Thanks in advance.

I used Rimadyl for my Irish Wolfhound X when she was 14 as she too was very stiff in the joints and had a lot of problems with her mobility.

I suppose for me it was knowing that she wasn't going to get any younger, and I just wanted her to be as comforatble as possible for the time she did have left (we knew that we weren't talking years here).

It made a huge difference to her quality of life, but I really don't know if it hastened her death as she died of a stroke at the age of 15 years and 7 months. If I had my time over with Harley, I would still have given it to her in her circumstances.

I don't believe that there is much to worry about a short term trial, and maybe see if it's really making a huge difference or not.

Tough call, but at the end of the day go with your gut feel, as for each case it's different, and you know your girl best.

Good Luck :mad

My girl has a bit of arthritis and has blown her cruciates, and we were given Previcox as a pain relief for when her legs were particularly bad. Actually they seem to work okay. She is also taking them now after her surgery. To tell the truth I haven't done much research on Previcox, but it does not seem to knock her about like Rimadyl (which was prescribed post surgery). Now she is back on Previcox she seems to be pain free but still alert and active. My girl also has regular Cartrophen injections and is given Sasha's Blend mixed in her food. The combination of all these has been really good for her.

If I had a choice, I probably wouldn't go with Rimadyl. Not because I've done any research on it, but because they seem to be alot stronger than other pain relief.

Good luck and hope Kimba is well.

Please consider other options. I lost my Ben (9 years old) when put on Rimadyl. Did a lot of research, contacted the Company, while they didn't actually admit it was their product, they were willing to come to an arrangement re Vet costs so IMO they practically admitted liability. My Vet. doesn't use Rimadyl since Ben's death.

eta- Ben was only on Rimadyl for a few days when he collapsed.

Edited by pebbles

I have a diabetic dog too. We think his diabetes was partially caused by a cortisone drug (prednisone) that he was on to help with a heart condition (inflamed trachea from constant cough caused by his enlarged heart) I'm not sure I would touch the cortisone drugs again. He has arthritis too & I tried cartrophen with success the first time but not the second. Apparently Sasha's Blend is meant to be good but I haven't tried it since he seems to be OK atm.

I think though, if Mick was nearing the end & I had no choice & had to make him at least feel better until it was time to let him go, I would try just about anything.

ETA, Mick has also been on Rimadyl for very short periods on & off for most of his life because of a herniated disc in his spine.

Edited by BlindChi

Oh Noooo!! you guys are starting to freak me out - our pup Mallee has been on Rimadyl and also Carphrofen (not together) for about 3-4 months on a off, but has been on Rimadyl continously now for a month - 50ml tablet a day, but now we have taken it down to 1/2 tablet in the morning!!!

Do you think we should be asking to change the medication, she has to be on something otherwise she just seems to be too stiff and in too much pain (she is 5 weeks post op as some of you may know)!!!

Arghhhhh :o what to do????

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I think I'll definitely explore other options. I'd only been thinking of different medications, but will ask the vet about acupuncture. Definitely like the sound of this and maybe other kinds of physical therapies.

Stormy, 15 sounds like a ripe old age for a large dog like Harley and it's good to know that she had a comfortable year or so at the end. I guess I'm in a similar situation in that Kimba quite 'elderly' now (although she's so silly sometimes she lacks the gravitas of the senior citizen :) ).

Kelly_Louise, I read about Chloe on the other thread (she's really cute with that cheeky grin, by the way). Did she get her stitches out today? Was everything ok at the vet? Hope Mallee is well too, Antoinette. I'm luckier than you guys - I don't have to keep ol' snooze head here calm and confined.

Pebbles, thanks for sharing your story. So sorry to hear about Ben. :o It must have been tough. I think I'll explore other options before Rimadyl now as it seems like there's a possible immediate risk.

BlindChi, good to meet someone with woof diabetes experience. Good to hear that Mick's ok. Do you think his lifestyle is much changed by the diabetes? I found that there wasn't much difference for Kimba except that she gets poked twice a day (doesn't seem to mind) and no more liver treats (this ol' greedy guts does mind) :(

Thanks again all.

Malleerr, I don't think Rimadyl harmed Mick at all & he had been on & off it for the past 10 years or so, it seemed to help with the pain & swelling in his back. It was the steroids that really messed with him, Rimadyl is an NSAID but not a good choice for every dog of course.

OS, initially it didn't affect him much at all except for the restricted diet which he still resents :( but he developed cataracts virtually overnight about 3 months after we started the insulin therapy & is now 100% blind. He's good with his shots & doesn't complain at all but I do wish he could still see. He has coped very well with being blind & still loves running around the park & doing most things, just at a much slower pace than he would like!

I make allowances in his daily calorie count to ensure he still gets the odd treat here & there. He has so many health problems that I think it's important that he enjoys the time he has left with us, it's all about quality & not quantity at this stage :o

Hey BlindChi.

Mick looks like a sweetheart. How old is he? Sounds like he's still pretty mobile.

Wanted to post a picture of Kimba but just looked at the instructions for posting piccies which confused me completely. Will ask the more technologically savvy sister for help later on tonight.

I hadn't thought about readjusting for the odd liver bit or two. Good idea.

He's just turned 11 which is pretty good considering we thought we were going to lose him last June due to his heart condition. Here he is in the park a few weeks ago, having a fabulous time!

Do you do all the urine testing & BGC stuff still or is Kimba well regulated now? Mick goes in for a BGC on Monday. He can also pee on command which is handy but I find the glucose strips to be very inaccurate. I'm off home now, so look forward to chatting some more next week, maybe there'll be some pics of Kimba by then? :o

post-22-1134707463.jpg

There are many other options available other than Rimadyl.

I have a sheltie who has been on Rimadyl to no effect, Metacam and (sorry I cant remember the name here) Pentosan (Im recently arrived from NZ). Pentosan has done wonders for her, mind you the better climate in QLD probably help as well.

You may also consider a senior food such as Nutro Natural Choice which has the additives of both glucosamine and chrondoitin, both of which are for joint problems.

www.specialfriendsdogcare.com.au

my old jenna is dying of cancer and until it affects her signifiately, and we need to pts, we have got her on Rimadyl...

its made her feel better and she is currently full of life again, she has had no side effects as of yet, so its been positive for us :love:

shes even able to go on walks, as before her athritis was making it too hard for her to go to far.

i'm aware, thiis drug is not for all dogs of course :)

Hey OrangeSammy!

Have you decided which way you are going to go with the painkillers. Who would ever have thought that simple painkillers could give us so much to worry about?

Thank you for the compliment about Chloe... yes she is the devil disguised as an angel. Poor old legs can't keep her down, but I also think the medications she has been given have helped tremendously (either that or she has one of the most incredible pain thresholds I've ever seen!!!). Yes the stitches came out and all is well so far... I've updated my thread.

My bf's old dog had diabetes. She was only diagnosed very late in life (last couple of years of her life). Poor thing suffered so much, but still had a love of life. Does Kimba's feet swell up etc? I just remember seeing so many changes in Sandy. Especially also because she had to be desexed - so of course her whole body shape changed, so not sure if it had anything to do with the diabetes. I really didn't know much about it because it was the first time I'd seen, or known of a dog with diabetes. I cried when they decided to pts, but I have to admit it was the right decision because she had lost the spark in her eye. I don't think she was on any sort of pain meds or anything... but still the poor old girl hung in there for quite some time.

Good luck in your search of meds and the right combo for Kimba. She sounds very well loved and I'm sure she is a happy old girl.

My Labrador, Zach, has elbow dysplasia and, unfortunately, not the best hips in town. He started on Rimadyl when he was around 6 years old and he turned 16 back in August. He hasn't spent the whole time on Rimadyl as a few years ago I changed to Metacam and, more recently, onto Previcox. However, he has been on one form of anti-inflammatory or another for over 10 years.

Zach has regular blood tests, ALL of which have come back normal.

While I agree that there can be risks associated with any of these anti-inflammatories, I believe you do need to weigh up the risks with the benefits. Zach certainly wouldn't still be with me today if he hadn't taken these drugs.

He also gets a cartrophen injection once a month. I'm not sure that it makes that much difference but I'm just not game to stop it!! At his age he deserves all the help he can get. :)

Hello everyone.

We're going to supplement Kimba's diet with some glucosamine products. It's difficult at the moment because Kimba's not in Oz anymore. I moved to Edinburgh three years ago and the best option for the woof was to emigrate to Hong Kong to live with my folks. Products like Sasha's Blend aren't available over here. Our vet's from Sydney though, which is very helpful. In fact, he's mates with our old Sydney vet. I'm over in HK at the moment but will be heading off in a couple of weeks, stopping off in Sydney, then off to Scotland again. So I'll pick up some of the meds and send them off. Meanwhile, I will try to make up a similar blend which I read about in another thread. Hesapandabear - same situation with the Nutro. Will have to find out about availability but thanks for the tip. (had to read your name out loud to 'get it' :laugh: )

BlindChi - Kimba had been really well regulated until recently. We've had to change insulin from Monotard which she started off with (which I think is an 'all-purpose' insulin for people, dogs, pigs, crocodiles etc) to the doggie type because of supply problems. The difference apparently is only in concentration and dosage i.e. the volume of Monotard a chi would need would be too small to measure but the dosage for a medium to large dog is large enough, whereas the canine stuff is more diluted and you use a greater volume, if that makes sense. But anyway, the vet's still adjusting the dosage at the moment. With the glucose curve, in the past (in Oz and over here), we'd leave Kimba at the vet's for the day. But she used to get really stressed there, wouldn't eat, and this affected the results. Now, we just bring her down to the vet every couple of hours (the perks of having a semi-retired dad who loves the woof too :cool: )

Kelly_Louise, so sad to hear about Sandy. It's a moment that I dread too. Kimba's the first dog I've had. It's been a couple of weeks over ten years that she came to us (I 'fostered' her on 9th Dec 1995 when she was four - note the inverted commas there. Like hell she was going back).

Hey Sonic and my sweet jenna - aren't the oldies just the best? I love that thread about the old'uns in the photos section. I'm very sorry about Jenna but at least it seems that life's pretty ok at the moment. Hope we all have some great times to cherish in these sunset years.

Hi Kelly Louise

I found with Zach that after a while the Rimadyl didn't work too well, that's why we changed to Metacam. The Metacam was brilliant. He was on it for a few years but, as he became very old and his back end was starting to struggle my vet mentioned the new drug on the market, Previcox, and that it might be worth seeing if he got more of a boost out of it.

I can't say that I've seen any difference between the Previcox and the Metacam. The hardest part I found in changing Zach to Previcox was that he had to get the Metacam out of his system before he could start the new drug. This meant 48 hours with NOTHING. It took Zach about a week to recover from this and I will not ever do that to him again. As he hasn't gone backwards on the Previcox he will stay on that until the end.

I've heard brilliant reports of Previcox but these have been from people with dogs younger than Zach. I have found it quite a bit more expensive than the Metacam but you can cut the dose of Previcox down depending on how your dog is responding which would make it cheaper in the long term.

Hi Sonic, thanks for that. It's good to get an opinion from someone who has tried different meds.

I also like Previcox because it doesn't seem to affect Chloe as much, and we only give them to her when we think she needs them. You're right, it is quite a bit more expensive... but hey, we go to all the trouble for our little ones so I guess it's worth it hey? :(

Well I certainly feel a bit better about giving her these meds now. I truly didn't know much about them, but I feel more comfortable with them now!

Thank you!