Cheap Dry Food For Christmas $ Struggles

sugar

Chicken giblets are hearts and livers. My dogs love them. Pet mince depends where you buy it. My butcher has a great mixture of organ meats, chicken carcasses etc. I buy chicken carrcasses for a $1 a kilo and I can get big bags of offal, hearts, tongues, liver etc for about $1.50 a kilo. Ask your butcher what they can do for you, ask around. Here it is cheaper to go through a butcher than a supermarket. 10 kilos of chicken carcasses does my 3 dogs for a week. One greyhound, one GSD and one beagle X.

Lillysmum, the petmince from Leonards is minced chicken frames...it is full of meat and bone with some fat and perhaps giblets mixed in as well. It's not to be cooked, it's not just straight meat and nor is it just the crap off the floor as is the case with some places :mad

If i was to drop back in kibble i wouldn't go further back then say SuperCoat, Bonnie or Optimum...all readily available but cheaper in the big bags ($30 odd for 15-20kg's) from the bigger petshops/produce stores.

Also a nice mix of cheap good butchers mince, marked down bones, Coles often does lamb offcuts at $1.99kg, and such when you see it will also make the kibble go further and the dogs will think it's great getting all the 'treats' lol.

Miranda, it is Victors Wholesale Meats, 220-222 Princes Hwy Dandenong.

Its on the city side of Dandenong, on the right hand side as you are leaving Dandy.

You have to drive past it, turn right and into the service road, but its pretty easy to find. :wave: They sometimes dont have the frames out, but just ask and they will get them from out the back. :mad

Miranda, it is Victors Wholesale Meats, 220-222 Princes Hwy Dandenong.

Its on the city side of Dandenong, on the right hand side as you are leaving Dandy.

You have to drive past it, turn right and into the service road, but its pretty easy to find. :wave: They sometimes dont have the frames out, but just ask and they will get them from out the back. :mad

Thanks Hedds :cheer:

:wave: Hi, I a newbee,just wanted to say a thanks also for info on food delights, one of my dogs I have just caught with the start of kidney failure ,[4yrs] the vet is hopefully with special diet of chicken,beef ,and pasta or rice NO dry food

.Which I might add is basicially what I was already giving

I get the wings $1-99 when ever or drumettes $1-49 k also I buy ox hearts at butcher for $3-00 ea and cut into strips and self fry in crushed garlic , garlic is supposed to be good for fleas. sometimes I can get cassrole pieces at Leonards $2-99 k when I cook them I also add vegiemite to give vitamin B ,I also toss the pasta or rice in cod liver oil as it does 2 things 1 keeps the pasta or rice separated and once again vitamins .

both my dogs eat this diet with vegs and Sashs blend and glucosimine thrown

hubby say they get better than him {why not] I hope this gives ideas to others thanks for yours cheers :mad Glorybea +bindii +rani malt\shutzu

KitKat I know what's in chicken pet mince as I used to buy it occasionally, but I no longer feed it in preference for raw, meaty bones. Mince does nothing to clean the dog's mouth, thereby negating one benefit of feeding raw, whole foods IMO.

Other raw feeders throw in some pet mince with a RMB or feed two meals per day. That's fine too. I just choose a different approach.

Sugar, of course it's raw! That's the point, it's not to be cooked, but fed raw.

There is a whole stream of thought on raw feeding and there are many different approaches. My approach is to feed raw, whole foods...others feed using BARF patties plus RMBs...others use a prey diet model...others feed mostly RMBs and offal. None is more right or wrong than another and while many start off with BARF, some progress or change to another approach over time. :mad

With raw feeding, as long as you've done your research and you keep updated with new information, and as long as you buy top quality ingredients, it's fairly simple and usually inexpensive. The big downside compared to processed is that there IS preparation time and you would do well to have a separate freezer so you can bulk buy your meaty bones, offal, and mince if you feed it. :wave:

I probably spend a couple of hours a month in meal preparation time. And that includes making the fruit/veg slop, cutting up the larger RMBs to suit all three dogs, repackaging all meat products including offal, and cleaning up the kitchen afterwards.

BTW - I'm vegetarian...so the raw meaty bone thing is yuck to me but manageable. :cheer: