Dog Passing Gas

cleo

The first time Cleo farted we were driving pass some factories. It smelled so bad I didn't think it was possible for anything living to produce that kind of smell so I blamed the factories for producing noxious gas.

Anyway the frequency of occurence has increased in the past two weeks. The room reeks for a long time after and I even have to wash her bum as it really smells foul.

She is currently on a diet of chicken, bones, vegies and a small portion of eagles pack dry puppy food mixed in. Is there something else I should be feeding her or remove from her diet so that whatever she produces on the other end does not at least smell THAT bad?????? Mick is fed the same diet with the exception that he has eagles pack holistic dry food. He does not produce such noxious gas.

Please HELP anyone. It's so horrible especially when she does it in the car. I very almost threw up the other day.

Edited by cleo

OK I just had a thought. Maybe Cleo isn't passing gas. I remember reading before that Cavvies have to have their anal glands emptied???? So could all this foul smell just be due to clogged up glands????

Very funny from here :p

I find change of diet does this to my boy, even if it is just a different kind of treat that he is not used to.

The anal glands are quite easy if you are shown how to do this properly. I know it sounds horrible, but all things doggie are just part of them and they can't help it. Just don't breathe through your mouth :rofl: .

Oh thank you CavsRcute and bstone7 for your replies!!!!

Yes it happened last night whilst she was angelically sleeping in my dad's arms whilst he was watching Carols By Candlelight :p She certainly knows how to clear a room :rofl: I still find if difficult to reconcile that something so vile can come out of something so beautiful :rofl:

Anyway I guess I will need to get the vet to show me how to clear it for her? Will the vet even do it?? It's kind of embarrassing having to broach it with the vet or are they use to such request :rofl: ????? Is there any food she should steer clear of or is it an individual thing?

Apart from agreeing to the above "anal gland talk" (great after Chrissy lunch :p ) I know chicken is great for allergies and fragile tummies BUT if I give chicken to my three big dogs, the "flatulence" is dreadful !!! They all just keep turning their heads to their rear-ends as if saying "did that noise and that smell actually come from me ??? :rofl:

I therefore try and steer clear from chicken... :rofl:

Anyway I guess I will need to get the vet to show me how to clear it for her? Will the vet even do it?? It's kind of embarrassing having to broach it with the vet or are they use to such request :p ????? Is there any food she should steer clear of or is it an individual thing?

No, anal glands are a very common occurence in most Vet Clinics....you can have scheduled visits so the Vet can do it, or if you're feeling brave you can ask the Vet to show you how, you just need a supply of latex gloves and some ky jelly. :rofl:

Make sure that you are shown the correct way, however, you should squeeze all the anal gland contents *out* of the dog.

Mel.

If it is a actually gas - a quick fix is charcoal tablets from the chemist/health food shop. The charcoal removes the smell very quickly while you are working on the cause of the problem (eg diet).

Edited by Tilly

Apart from agreeing to the above "anal gland talk" (great after Chrissy lunch :bottom: ) I know chicken is great for allergies and fragile tummies BUT if I give chicken to my three big dogs, the "flatulence" is dreadful !!! They all just keep turning their heads to their rear-ends as if saying "did that noise and that smell actually come from me ??? :bottom:

I therefore try and steer clear from chicken... :bottom:

I totally agree! My 3 dogs also get terrible gas from chicken.

Natural yoghurt works wonders :bottom:

I was on another list today where they recommended adding a small amount of natural yoghurt (or kefir) to their food daily to eliminate gas. The yoghurt aids to production of "good" bacteria in the gut.

Someone on the list said that they had run out of yoghurt for about a week and had noticed almost immediately an increase in the amount of gas production.

Worth a try :bottom:

Taking into account that chicken might be the cause of Cleo's problems, I have changed her diet to 1/2 chicken 1/2 beef mince. I have not fully switched over as the last time I gave her beef mince she had a severe bout of diarrhoea and the vet told me to put her on the chicken diet and to switch her over slowly. Anyway she was fine eating for about three days and now doesn't want to touch her food anymore :mad Should I persist with the 1/2 diet of just switch her back to chicken? I have thought of boiling some chicken and using the broth to mask the beef?? Will that help??

I don't believe it's flatulence as she scoots sometimes which I doubt is caused by worms as she has been wormed every forthnightly.

Surgical removal of anal sacs should be a last ditch move. It certainly can be, and is done in cases with good reason, but usually after prolonged and serious problem.

If it is "just" anal glands, then increasing fibre in the diet and having them emptied as needed by your vet (or yourself) is usually enough to keep benign problems under control.

Cleo, have you been to the vet to check whether it is anal glands? They are used to doing them all the time, so I wouldn't worry about that :p I found that once i introduced bones to my older Cav( she was a rescue and a "breeding machine"), her anal glands only had to be expressed once in the next 5 years. My cav girl that I have now has always had bones and she has only had them expressed once and that was after a bout of food intolerance, with soft poos.

I will do almost anything for my dog but expressing anal glands is where I draw the line :D

Cavs, she will be desexed on Monday so will get the vet to have a look at IT then. So nervous about the desexing. Anyway I have increased her bone intake to a few small ones once a day rather than one large one once a week. Seemed to have cleared the problem until today. I was having a little snooze with her and well I was awaken quite rudely :thumbsup:

Pommy her diet isn't cheap. I think she eats better than me.