Sick Lab Pup

Hi peoples

We bought a lab pup about the 17th Dec (she was 8 weeks old) and have had many health issues with her, will give you a run down. Hope someone can assist as we are at the vet's every couple of days and its getting rediculous and the little girl doesn't look to happy either.

From when we bought her she had diarrea which went on for a number of days, as Christmas was only a few days away we took her to the vet on the 22/12 and they gave her Ensal to clog her up which seemed to work for a while and also some anitbiotic tablets. We also changed her diet to just boiled chicken and pasta.

On about 28-29th of Dec she started getting the runs again, so we put her on the bland diet again, we were going to take her to the vets on 05/01/06 but the night before she ruptured her rectum which was not very good. Luckily we could get to the doggy hospital quick enough and they didn't have to cut her open and managed to put everything back where it should be.

Her diarrea stopped shortly after but now she is going off her food and she is also throwing up about every 12 hours which has only lately slowed to about every 30 hours.

Have seen the vet on the 5,7 & 9 of Jan and she is going to another one tonight as today and last night she has been really lathargic and off her food a bit and drinking lots and lots of water. Her belly is quite big and you can sort of move it round and it sounds liquidy. She is very very skinny now (can see ribs, hips where as when we got her she was 2 kgs over weight!

The vet gave her another worming tablet yesterday (she had one at 8 weeks and 10 weeks). She has also had 3 injections of antibiotics on sat, sun & mon.

We don't know really what to do, we are trying to feed her as much as we can but she's not really wanting to eat that much.

She also looks quite miserably compared to a normal playfull puppy.

Hope someone can help.

So sorry to hear about the poor dear. I agree with the others, definitely contact her breeder. If she wasn't bought from a breeder, then perhaps seek one out that you may know of through friends or an advertisement and ask their advice. If you got her from say a pet store or similar, these types of places are rarely any help.

Maybe also take her back to the vet and just explain that nothing is really working. If this particular vet can't offer much more advice you may need a second opinion.

When I first brought my boy home he had loose stools and wasn't eating properly for a while, but I think it was just a matter of him getting settled into his new home. This COULD be a factor in your case, but it does sound a little more serious.

All the best, we're rooting for you and the little one! :mad

Thanks for all the replys so quick!!

She's booked into see another vet tonight for a second opinon so hopefully this may shed some light.

We bought her from a breader but the person was more of a back yarder and not didn't register the dogs or anything. We did get to see all the pups and also the mum as well though. I'm thinking she might not be able to help though.

The weird thing is some days she'll pick up or for an hour or 2 she'll pick up, its quite frustrating as she has such a sad look on her face.

We live in the Adelaide Hills but we both work in Adelaide to give people of our location.

Thanks again.

How is the little one? Did you get her to gastro vet? All this should NOT be happening. :D Sounds like the food is going straight through her poor tummy. Does she pick up before or after eating? And how long after eating does she poop?

Sorry to hear about this baby :) Please give us an update.

Hi everyone

The vet we saw last night was quite good and checked her over but couldn't find anything wrong straight away so she's back their again today for X-rays. At this stage we might think its a twisted bowel or intestines (makes the most sense for me).

She wasn't all too impressed last night, we tried giving her a range of choices for dinner but she wasn't really interested. However we left it out over night and by morning she had eaten a chicken neck that we had chopped up for her so we were impressed. She had wee'd a fair bit inside and done a bit of diarrea over night as well but her tummy was looser (yesterday it was tight like a drum) this morning and she was a bit brighter but still not a typical puppy but an improvement nethertheless.

One other thing she has been doing is always laying on cold surfaces (like tiles in the bathroom or laundry), this morning she was on sitting on warmer surfaces.

Should here from the vet this arvo we hope.

Thanks again all for the help.

Hi Everyone

Well the operation went well yesterday arvo and they sorted all the problems out. Her stomach was all twisted but it was letting only a bit of food through, so all sorted, happy days!!

Well this morning we get a call from the vet saying that she died in her sleep....

Not good at all, the wife is very very upset and has been crying at work all day, now we have a big vet bill and no dog.... :happydance2:

We don't know what to do, I don't think we will get another for a while, we both really love dogs but it has been a very traumatic experience.

Just like to say a big thank you to everyone for their kind words and help though, it was much apprecaited.

Thanks

Oh, Little Lab, this is so terrible for you and your wife :happydance: Poor little thing :happydance:

:happydance2::happydance2:

You precious care of her dear little life is commendable. Not all new owners are so caring.

I wish for you and your wife that maybe one day again you will have a lovely, healthy Lab puppy.