Barf Dog Food

talon

Hi,

Is anyone using Dr Billinghursts BARF ( Biologically Appropriate Raw food) diet for dogs. If so could you tell me if your dogs benefited from eating it.

I was feeding my dog Eukanuba/ Iams until I found out about the company experimenting on dogs (beagles) to improve their food.( I saw the video, VERY SAD) Also my dog has developed a skin problem, I was reccommended BARF

I thought my dog had a flea problem as he was going crazy with his scratching, did everything I could do there but it continued. Then I saw red spots and they were getting bigger as the days went by, i was told by a breeder to have him shaved as they are heat spots and shaving will help so I did ( he is a malamute and now looks very strange) He has been inside for the past 3 weeks in the air conditioning. The spots have gone but I can see hair thining in places ( around neck and on his back at the rear near his tail.

I have read other threads and am now using Malaseb and Aloveen conditioner for his skin and the Pork Barf which is for skin conditions, it has been two days now and he is different, I think the combination is working as he isin't scratching or fidgeting, he has basically slept for two days, I think he is catching up.

Anyway I was hopeing somebody else has used Barf and could tell me what they think. Also can air conditioners make a dog sneeze, my dog sneezes all the time.

Cheers

I feed the BARF diet via Dr Billinghursts barf patties and 50% rmbs.

I have found a remarkable difference in my dogs since using the diet, their coats are better, teeth are wonderful (I used to have to clean teeth at least weekly and I haven't really had to bruch them at all since on the diet), no irritated skin and it smells alot better going in and coming out :thumbsup:

They are also much happier with their food - they fill fuller and they clean out their bowls completely, no more biscuits left in the bottom.

As for the air conditioner - yes it can cause sneezing if the filter has dirt/spores on it, a good way of avoiding this is to blow it (as in just on fan instead of air-con) for 5-10 mins before and after switching on or off.

Yes I have fed BARF and loved it and what it did for my dogs. I just found it too time consuming for the number of dogs I had to prepare it for.

BTW I find many arctic breeds benefit from extra zinc in the diet, helps stop hot spots from developing. I use Blackmore's ZinVit250

I feed a BARF diet basically based on Dr Billinghurst and Dr Tom Lonsdale theories.

I have adapted to my own diet now and often refer back to these two books for references. I find that your dogs are more fuller and you feed much less than can food. I did start fresh with their teeth. Had them cleaned by the vet. But their teeth are more shiny than ever before.

And their number '2's' are much smaller and less smellier than before, thats for sure.

Of course its better than those can foods and dry foods. I have an 9 year old Maltese X who was really feeling her age. 12months on this diet and you can see the difference in her. She is even out running Milly my 3 yr old.

Regarding the air conditioner, open up the front where the filter is and see if its not clogged. Give it a good clean. And any loose dust in the area will definately move around and cause your dogs to sneeze.

Hi Talon,i would highly recommend you get a copy of Dr Ian Billinghurst's book-Give your dog a bone.Makes a great deal of sense and a hell of a lot better and cheaper than feeding commercial foods.Good luck with your pooches scratching,i'm sure if you follow a Barf diet will help them heaps.One of my german shepherds was scratching to no end than after going on a Barf diet and washing in malaseb a couple of times a week we now have a scratch free dog :thumbsup:

I've been feeding raw, whole foods to my dogs for a long time and I wouldn't bother with the pre-packaged stuff, it's just too expensive. Do it yourself using raw, meaty bones, offal and fruit/veg slop with the occasional serve of yoghurt and sardines.

Read any good book on raw feeding. It will encourage you to research and experiment once you know what your dog/s need.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not much help storm as my breeder lives North of Brissy and gets them from her local pet supplies there.

However, she asked her pet supplies to get them in for her, they hadn't sold them before, I think it took her a while but they eventually obliged and now alot of people are buying from them!

I would pester a few of your local suppliers who stock meats about it...you may be able to convince once of them to stock it for you.

Cheers,

Mel.

Hiya Storm,

I too am on the south side (well actually east side...at Manly West), and have had difficulty in finding where I can get the Barf patties from. HOWEVER...I can tell you that you can buy them from Pet City at Mount Gravatt for $13.50 per pack/roll of patties.

If you end up finding out anywhere else that stocks them please let me know!!

chow for now

Renee

We make our dogs barf diet from scratch and it is actually SO much

cheaper. we use chicken, roo and beef mince then mix it in with 30%

vegies, liver and other interesting organs. chuck it in the blender and vwala!

we also mix in linseed oil, malasses and more health products.

There is a pet cafe on Logan Rd between mt gravatt and stones corner. I am pretty sure all pet cafes sell the barf patties. We buy ours at pet cafe in toowoomba for $15.95. That is until i am game enough to make Akira's food myself. I'm like you storm, im not game to do it in case i stuff up and make it unbalanced. Until i know what im doing, i'll just buy the stuff.

I go by the BARF principles when feeding my dog, I make up my own mixes and IMO there is nothing to worry about. Your dog won't break if things are not 100% balanced, I am sure you are not hypervigilant with your own diet or that of your children. What works for someone else's dog may not work for yours so it is a case of try it and see, also a case of VARIETY so they can get a good supply of the nutrients found in all different types of food.

I have found it interesting that BARF is not more widely known in Australia, since Dr. Billinghurst is from here. As a newcomer it was difficult for me to find premade patties.

In Canada, I was able to vary my dogs diets with premade elk, venision, rabbit, duck, tripe, chicken, quail, turkey, bison and beef patties. I guess my dogs were a bit spoiled. (And still are...)

Here I am using Fresh4Pets chicken and lamb patties. The BARF patties have flax in them and my Toller has displayed a sensitivity to flax. Then I make a beef mix with fresh sardines.

I need to go to a butcher and see if I could buy some tripe. But have been dreading the prospect of cutting it up. Like I said, I used to be able to buy it in frozen patties, and that was smelly enough. Whew.