K9 Force Handlers Workshop

First of all K9 - thank you, for giving me and jbbb Yami (sp?) to handle - what a dog to learn on......... Any chance we could get some of the photos of her from "before"?

As many of you know I had couple of private consults (first one being a real eye opener) went to several seminars and workshops with Steve. But yesterday was extras special. I think this was the best lesson in dog training I ever had. Its nice to see how some of K9s "magic" rubs off on to the others :D and what can be achieved with dogs. Especially one like Yami.

I have one regret - I havent taken any photos for people to see what we all have done with those dogs yesterday.

To those that havent attended - beg him to have another one of those organised.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really was fantastic!

I'm SO inspired and feel so much more confident and comfortable to go out and deal with unknown rescue dogs now.

I agree... best dog/learning experience i've ever had.

Can't thank you enough Steve!

Nicky

I would also like to thank Steve and I was honored to be able to attend.

Unfortunately, I don't think I really mastered the pack drive connection with Sprocket (he was a sweetheart and cutie though) as it seemed a lot of the day he didn't want to be near me but with the information given by Steve throughout the day, I hope to work on this in the future. I just hope I didn't do anything to hinder his development and so forth when I had him. I probably wasn't as enthusiastic as I should have been though.

It was great to watch the changes occur in the dogs during the day though and the information is still running through my head trying to process everything.

It definitely wasn't something I could read in a book.

I would have liked to stay around and get some feedback on how I can improve but I had to go somewhere last night.

Thanks again

I loved it! I especially loved Paddy the Cattle Dog that I and Winterpaws got to work with....he worked so well.....he's available for adoption as well (that is if he isn't a foster faliure :( )

It was a fantastic workshop and I hope Steve runs it again so others can benefit from his knowledge & techniques.

I thing I noticed for myself is that I had lost the enthusiam when working with my own dog which is so critical so it was a good wake up for me to start working with my dog the way I used to that kinda died out over time.

Ok, whose calls for a workshop on 'recall' and 'down stays' hehehehe

Ooh, if there's another workshop in the near future I'd love to come up ... might see if some Canberrans want to car-pool :)

Was it a one-day or two-day workshop? Wondering about accommodation ... my brother is near Penrith so maybe that would work :)

I'll keep an eye on the Training forum. :( I look forward to meeting Tattydog's ARF foster dog, Paddy, at the Canberra Show next weekend!

I second (or is that third or fourth?) that the workshop was the best dog training/handling experience I've ever had. I felt pretty clumsy and unsure of what I was doing most of the time and so didn't give my allocated dog the neccessary leadership to move very far into a pack drive relationship. However, working with Leonard for a little while was a great experience, I have never handled a dog who was so willing and focused on doing what you asked. I have always had a perception of training as somewhat forceful and mechanical, but Leonard and the other dogs were so happy and joyous about working with people. They became much softer and synchronized their movement with their handlers as we moved through the exercises. Just watching the other handlers and taking in the information was an invaluable lesson in dog and human behavior . It was so good to see how the dogs responded to Steve and the other handlers and the remarkable changes in their attitudes and behavior over the day.

Paddy worked so well with Sas and Winterpaws, they did a great job with him. He was a very tired boy last night, he slept all the way home, woke up to have dinner and then slept right through the night. He has been quite subdued and sleepy most of today, but was very happy to be home and reunited with my other dogs. They had a big rumbling/wrestling/running game to celebrate :(

Thanks again Steve for organizing such a great informative and enjoyable day

Another excellent K9 force day.

A wonderful bunch of people, some great dogs and the trainer was ok I suppose :)

It was great to put some of the theory into action, and also to see Steve working his magic. It was amazing to see Steves alpha pressure demonstration taking a (before the day) untrained dog through a series of stay, sit and come excercises without touching him or a leash - Wonderful.

If there was any room left, I certainly would have smuggled Gracie home with me too.

Unfortunately Steve didnt jump out of the cake, but this was more than made up for by the 6 male streakers I drove past on the way home :(

Disappointingly it was a cold night :)

Unfortunately Steve didnt jump out of the cake, but this was more than made up for by the 6 male streakers I drove past on the way home :( Disappointingly it was a cold night ;)

Gillbear - :):)

Is that why Steve didn't jump out of the cake? Was he unavoidably detained, given that he was running down the road on your way home?

It's always an awesome day out there and again I just learnt so much and reinforced a few things I have been a bit slack on

Tattydog - Paddy was an awesome boy and I think there might be one thing you might not have noticed. He adores you! Because you were focusing on the dog you were handling you probably did not notice Paddy looking over to you all the time and towards the end of the day he was a little whimpery and I think he wanted to be back with his mum. I noticed how excited he was when I handed him back to you. He is just divine!!!!!!!!!! You've obviously done a great job with him and he completely adores his foster mum

Gillbear - WTF! I missed the streakers - that so sux! Would have woken me up a bit :(

Alibear - I am the QUEEN :):) ;)

Hi Everyone! It was nice seeing you all at the traing and I was grateful we had the opportunity to attend. I agree with you Myszka that Yami the rescued dog was special. To see her recover from her ordeal of injury and starvation to such fine condition was heart warming. The training was certainly improving her confidence, that's for sure :)

I found Steve's concept of the "dog choosing its collar" very interesting, and from experimenting with Flame this morning JBBB found that Flame is definitely working better with a prong collar. She's more attentive and exhibiting more of that pack drive - and less likely to initiate actions according to her "own agenda". :(

As always a fantastic day and soooo much information to digest. Thanks again Steve for an awesome day! :(

Alibear - I am the QUEEN :):) ;)

Honey, Gold Star to you for your fabulous training of Jodie. Your ability to get her under control was just out of this world :eek: She certainly went home much better off from your fantastic handling! :cry:

I would also like to thank Steve. Every time I see Steve I am amazed at the wealth of information. And I think some of it is starting to rub off on me!!

It was amazing to watch the transformation of Dreyfus!! I think we all wanted to take him home!

And Yami was such a sweetie, too. At the end of the day she certainly didnt seem to have any fear issues with the people who had handled her through the day.

All the dogs made improvements. When you think back to what they were like in the morning it really is amazing.

As Flames_Daddy said, I actually put the prong collar on Flame this morning used Steve's training techniques and within a couple of minutes she was walking right next to me, following my lead and looking at me for direction. This is a huge improvement, as normally she sort of sticks with you, but she was always in front of me and not really taking that much notice. What a joy to walk!

Thumps up for Steve (again!) :(

For those that havent been there.

We had several dogs - rescues, borrowed dogs etc. We handled dogs other than our own, had to get pack drive happening, loose lead walking and a sit. We all did that, and the transformation in dogs was just amazing.

Jbbb and I were handed in Yami a pitbull cross girl that was affraid of her own shadow, on arrival would not walk pass empty cars and if the lead was 20m long she would choose to hit the end of that lead and not even turn towards the handler.

We all have seen her photos of what she was before, bones covered with skin that was one big scab. Open wounds around eyes and the saddes look on the face. Whoever did that to her should be shot. She has a long way to go but jbbb, Flames Daddy and I got licks on the face, a wag of a tail, we did belly rubbs, I inspected her paws, ears, mouth and she actually enjoyed it.

As to one of the dobes that were there. I had Xena there with me. She isnt my dog, did anyone pick that? :(

Definitely a brilliant day. Thankyou so much Steve for sharing such valuble information with us.

I think one of the most important things I got out of the day is renewed motivation and enthusiasm.

I could barely sleep on Saturday night with all the information going around in my head.

And of corse Dreyfus. What a beautiful boy he is, I was sooooo lucky to have him for most of the day.

And I can't not mention Roxy the boxer who I only had for a short while and I think she was a bit tired by the end, but very adorable none the less.

K9: Thanks for all the kind words, it was quite a full on workshop trying to make sure everyone was getting results with their dogs..

We got just about everything covered that I wanted to but the best part of the workshop for me was seeing everyone get results with totally untrained dogs.

Its important to remember that, not one dog was leash pulling at all by the end of the day, & most of them started as bad leash pullers....

Some people spend months with their own dog only to fail at this simple task, all you guys did it with new dogs before lunch time, actually in less than an hour...

Very well done...

A few people handled Yammi, I will try get some pics of her. This was great therapy for a dog with serious fear issues...

She was feeling very positive & walked very well on a loose leash by the end of the day, her owners were extremely impressed by the way she was handled & how much she improved...

L:

Unfortunately, I don't think I really mastered the pack drive connection with Sprocket

K9: he is a little lethargic for a puppy, but he did start to work nicely in food drive...

I think you did well..

Sas:

I loved it! I especially loved Paddy the Cattle Dog that I and Winterpaws got to work with....he worked so well.

K9: He was really showing some excellent attitude heeling with you, he was loving it!

T:

However, working with Leonard for a little while was a great experience, I have never handled a dog who was so willing and focused on doing what you asked.

K9: Leonard is a great dog, but I will say that if you seen him the firts day he came to me all woudl agree he was a nightmare.... Nice enbough just way to exuberant...

He was like you seen him after only about two hours training....

T:

It was so good to see how the dogs responded to Steve and the other handlers and the remarkable changes in their attitudes and behavior over the day.

K9: Yes great to remember it was one day only, imagine where you could be if you run this training every day for a week?

G:

It was amazing to see Steves alpha pressure demonstration taking a (before the day) untrained dog through a series of stay, sit and come excercises without touching him or a leash - Wonderful.

K9: Only goes to show what is possible with good pack drive...

J:

All the dogs made improvements. When you think back to what they were like in the morning it really is amazing.

K9: Yep its really important to recognise the improvements we make...

M:

We had several dogs - rescues, borrowed dogs etc. We handled dogs other than our own, had to get pack drive happening, loose lead walking and a sit. We all did that, and the transformation in dogs was just amazing.

K9: I believe everyone in attendance can now demonstrate "the magic" on a new dog...

M:

So, Steve, when's the next one?

K9: Out of this one came the idea for a training in drive workshop, maybe half a day or more in the near future.

The next handlers workshop will be in Victoria, I would say late May...

I will be settling dates for the Vic stuff this week I hope...

I havent got another one of these planned here in NSW at this stage as there are so many other great topics I have planned.

The SAR one is next, only a few places left to go so if anyone wants to see a great 2 day workshop, get in now....

The next handlers workshop will be in Victoria, I would say late May...

I will be settling dates for the Vic stuff this week I hope...

Yaaaaaaah in Vic, I definitely want to be there, that sounded like an excellent workshop. Can't wait - I have already cancelled everything else in May.... :):):( ;)

Damn, I got the quote thing wrong......

Edited by Pippi