Ivermectin Liquid

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason you are all quoting different dose rates is because ivermec is sold for different uses - as an injectible for cattle, and a wormer for sheep and goats. The product thus will contain different rates mg/ml, and dosage will depend on on which product you have.

Prescib8ing this via the internet seems to me to be fraught with danger. The vet can advise you about the use, and the dose rates.

The reason you are all quoting different dose rates is because ivermec is sold for different uses - as an injectible for cattle, and a wormer for sheep and goats. The product thus will contain different rates mg/ml, and dosage will depend on on which product you have.

Prescib8ing this via the internet seems to me to be fraught with danger. The vet can advise you about the use, and the dose rates.

exactly - that is why I have specified the Ivomec I am using ie .8g/L and I also stated to consult with your vet before useing

There is ivermec for the large farm animal, and there is ivermec for the smaller.

We were given a small amount from our vet when our Staffy had mites, and she had them bad. It was something like .3 of a mil, for her weight, and he couldn't stress how important it was to get the right does. Because the mites were so bad on this gal, he had us use the cattle ivermec. Which I WOULDN'T use unless instructed by a vet.

As for the ivermec for smaller animals, I do use on my dogs, with a change of worming medication twice a year.

Why would someone in the pet business say use ivermec at around $120.00 (I think) for a 5ltr bottle, when they can say here buy these little tubes that last 4-6 month and cost $80-$90. Their not making as much profit.

I WILL ADD, ALWAYS CHECK WITH YOUR VET IF THE BREED/S IS OK WITH THIS TYPE OF MEDICATION..........................

Hi All,

Have read with interest the discussion.

Ivermectin liquid I belive is certainly a no-no, as some have mentioned alot of use in "off label". Heartgard contains Ivermectin so thats okay but watch out if you have a Collie there is information about this.

Heartgard is okay but doesn't help with Whipworm of Tapeworm.

On my Macchiato and Bella we use Sentinel Spectrum. I understand that it does Round, Hook, Whip, Tape and Heart Worm also controls fleas. I know it does kill fleas....it stops them from breeding. If my poodles do get fleas we look at Capstar...my vet says it is the fastest flea killer you can get and also there is no chemical/pesticide residue on my dogs.

Just on intestinal worms....I used to 3 monthly worm and found out that we really only do that because it was at the change of seasons (I may be wrong if so let me know) and was easy to remember. BUT, the life cycle of these worms can be as short as 14days, therefore if you are worming for Hookworm (a real nasty worm) they can have a life cycle of between 15-18days and you are worming only every three months you could have 5 generations in your backyard. Round worm three generations.

AND some of these worms can spread to humans.

What are your experiences with these products

Steve

Hi Steve

I don't think you'll find people have a problem with the reccomended product, it's the price they are asking for it, and for so little.

Edited by pesh

Well BL - you sure opened a can of worms here!

:cry::cry::cry::mad (No pun intended - I just realised :D )

I looked up my bottle - still in the fridge - and it says .5ml per kilo once a month - same as Pesh's advice.

Have no idea if this is for cattle, sheep or goats and it actually says "IVOMEC" :) So now I'm really confused :cry:

My supply came from a Chi breeder who has been using this product - whether it be Ivomec or Ivermectin of a certain dose rate - for 10 years plus.

It looks like general consensus so far in this thread says

"Use it - but get the RIGHT dose, the RIGHT dog weight and the RIGHT product". :)

And a lot don't seem to agree because owners aren't getting the the right dose, right dog weight and right product - this thread shows how varied opinions and advice can be which is why I stopped using it in the first place. Too many anomalies. :o:o

A quick explanation from a farmer LOL. As you will see the amounts of active ingredient "ivermectin" vary according to product. So all IVOMEC is not the same it is merely a brand name.

Ivermectin is the active ingredient.

IVOMEC is the brand name for the product produced by Merial Australia Pty Ltd.

The differences in the product are as follows:

CATTLE beef cattle.

IVOMEC® Antiparasitic Injection for Cattle

IVERMECTIN 10mg/mL

IVOMEC® Pour-On for Cattle

IVERMECTIN 5mg/mL

IVOMEC® Plus Broad-Spectrum Antiparasitic Injection for Cattle

IVERMECTIN 10mg/mL and CLORSULON 100mg/mL

IVOMEC® EPRINEX Pour-On for Beef and Dairy Cattle

EPRINOMECTIN 5mg/mL

SHEEP

IVOMEC® Liquid for Sheep

IVERMECTIN 0.8g/L

IVOMEC® Liquid with Selenium for Sheep

IVERMECTIN 0.8g/L

SELENIUM 0.4g/L (as sodium selenate)

SO IT IS VITAL TO ALWAYS CHECK

HI Dogbespotted, I have been waiting on my vet, but he must be busy, as he is always very prompt. The friends vet recommended a higher dose then what I was told and you recommend 1 ml per 15kg, are you sure that is the right dose to prevent heartworm and also to do intestinal worms in dogs with Ivomec .8 for sheep? If so then the next dose I will go with your measurement.

Holly

HI Dogbespotted, I have been waiting on my vet, but he must be busy, as he is always very prompt. The friends vet recommended a higher dose then what I was told and you recommend 1 ml per 15kg, are you sure that is the right dose to prevent heartworm and also to do intestinal worms in dogs with Ivomec .8 for sheep? If so then the next dose I will go with your measurement.

Holly

Holly - I dont recommend anything. Just what I was advised by my vet. It appears the dosages we have both been recommended do work. I dont know about the intestinal worming doses as my guys get herbal supplements for that .

It would appear that from the dose recommneded by my vet and his comment that there is a high safety margin for dogs that are NOT sensitive to ivermectin that it is ok. He said the dosage for demodex fro example is high and daily.

again I would always be guided by ver recommendations.

We were given ivermectin(sheep wormer) by our vet to treat dermadectic mange and it worked but was not approved this was a few years ago .Our pup survived and has never had another outbreak.This was given orally.If in doubt check with your vet as we were told it may or maynot kill our dog but that was the risk we took.This was given once a day for a few weeks.

Edited by kirribee